2023 PHEV Outlander

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 10% ethanol blend decreases fuel efficiency by 3-4%, so add that to the cost of the fuel. I worried that ethanol would attract water which would be more likely to contaminate the fuel, but in fact it can dissolve a small amount of condensation that may be in the fuel tank and burn it off. https://cropwatch.unl.edu/documents/Ethanol and Water Contamination 09052014.pdf
Ethanol is supposed to be more environentally friendly because it is made from corn (maize) that recycles atmospheric carbon rather than pulling it out of the ground (46% less carbon according to the lobbyists), but according to the University of Wisconsin-Madison Center for Sustainability and the Global Environment its is 24% MORE carbon intensive when all the inputs and processing are added.
So the net result is even more confusion as to what is the best path to take.

Which gas stations still do this? As far as I had found Shell was the last one to offer no ethanol but that changed in fall 2023 and they have rolled out ethanol now in 91 and 93.
Here, (In Canada) the high octane fuels have no ethanol added.... which is what I am going for... I spend so little in gas I don't mind wasting a bit of money to protect the fuel system ...

Octane 95 is what they recommend in Europe for the engine.

It will tolerate up to 10% ethanol in it.

Higher ethanol percentages might result in the car returning an engine error. Because of that, I would not recommend using a fuel with more than 10% ethanol additives.

Back