2024 Outlander PHEV - Engine runs to burn old fuel.

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, bicycles will benefit the environment nor vehicles of any kind.

BTW maybe the environment is benefiting the carbon cycling of human activity.
It is carbon life on Earth after all and CO2 is gas of life, not pollutant like the politicians want to portray it.

My 2023 PHEV had a full tank of E10 fuel and then was not driven for a bit over two months. I'm pleased to say that when we got it out the door this week - including a 230km round trip today - it went like a charm. And no weird messages about filling tanks. For that I'm grateful. Unfortunately, I wasn't driving (medical reason) so I can't say if the ICE was performing better or worse than back in March. But it felt Ok from the passenger seat.

My 2023 PHEV had a full tank of E10 fuel and then was not driven for a bit over two months. I'm pleased to say that when we got it out the door this week - including a 230km round trip today - it went like a charm. And no weird messages about filling tanks. For that I'm grateful. Unfortunately, I wasn't driving (medical reason) so I can't say if the ICE was performing better or worse than back in March. But it felt Ok from the passenger seat.
Let us all hope that you Medical Condition improves and that you get better.

Please keep us updated as to if and when you get message to add 20 lit or 5 3 Gal of fuel.

Just found that my 2024 PHEV-GT was manufactured on December 2023. Picked it up on Apr 8, 2024 with a full Tank and 11 kms on the Odometer, but do not know when fuel was last added. From what most members here have indicated, the message should come on 90 days after the last fill up of at least 20 lit or 5.3 gal of fuel. I last added fuel on May 19. So I you will wait and report on this.

Hope that you get well soon.

Last edited:
Picked up my 2024 Oulander PHEV - GT, on Apr 8, 2024. Fuel tank was full, Dive Battery full and 11kms on the Odometer.

Drove 625 kms strictly in the city, charged about 8 times and was averaging 85 to 90 Kms on pure EV mode, charging to full when there was 5 or 6 kms left on battery.

This past Friday, after pushing EV and switching to ECO, with a full battery and ambient temp of 28'C, I saw message. Engine will not stop until 20 liters of fuel is added.

I guess computer wants me to use up my old gas, which is barely 1 month old. What gives?

Anyone find a work around I have 95% full tank. I want to drive in EV mode and not use the ICE.

Please help
Just un-attach a battery terminal cable for a short while and the computer will delete the stored info.

I just want to add that I bought the Outlander PHEV in 2017 because it was the best over all package for me at that time.

It has two ton trailer towing capability (series is 1.5to but papers can be modified to 2 tons on less incline), can do 70% of my trips electrically, obviously a 12kWh Li Ion battery as a much smaller ecological footprint on manufacturing and a much smaller financial footprint when I need to replace it one day - which I will actually do soon because I could get a deal on the larger 13,6kWh modules, they are already sitting in my garage.

The Outlander is among the best cars I have had so far and the engineering is fine. If I had to buy a new car now, I might buy a BEV like the Ioniq 5, but the concept of the PHEV is not dead for me so the current Outlander might also be the car of choice...

Operating a PHEV depends on a charging facility which I have at work and at home. I mostly charge at home. The operation costs on electricity (photovoltaic spring to autumn, combined heat power in winter) are 16% compared to running on gasoline.

The Outlander is my second Mitsubishi - the first was a cheap Sigma Station Wagon I bought when my daily ride got rear ended - that Sigma was 17 years old and cheap but after little repair up front (thermostat, timing belt, muffler pipe and fixing the 'dropping out of fifth gear issue) and a new clutch at a later time ran for another 4 years for me and some more years for the next owner. I do all the repairs myself and the inherited quality of that car was very very impressive.

We finally got to see the three-month message last weekend. The car was filled in March, just before I wasn't able to drive any more. It sat idle until late May when we started to drive it and run down the tank. Probably drove it 250km before leaving it at an airport carpark. Here's the bizarre part: after a week we picked it up, and drove drove maybe 20km then parked it for 30 minutes. Only then, and about a week short of calendar three months, did it put up a message on the screen asking us to add at least 20L. Another 20km further it received 35L which filled the tank. No further complaints or messages from the car.

Since March 24 I've only been able to be in the passenger seat, meaning (as I've mentioned previously) I can't say very much about the quality of performance or driving experience - however the car doesn't feel much different from where I've been sitting. No noises, whirs or bangs to suggest that there's any problem with E94 fuel being "stale" or under performing due to a bit of aging.

Last edited:
3 Months to the day. Just got the message to add at least 20l of fuel.

I can categorically state that this message never came up on my previous 2018 and 2022 PHEV-GT.

I did have the North American Models. Wonder if this was the reason to not getting the 'Add 20 lit. of Fuel' message.

Ethanol contaminated fuel (most fuel in North America/E10) has a useful life of 3 months, with pure gasoline maintaining most of its low vapor presure volatiles for about 6 months, precisely matching Mitsubishi's newer 90 day clock timer. Keep in mind, the timer is 90 days for 20 liters, so the average age of the fuel in a very lightly used PHEV will be approximately 6 months. Fuel does not last for 1+ year in modern vehicle applications, too many volatiles have oxidized or evaporated into a gaseous state ending up in the evaporative capture system to burn properly and cleanly in a modern, high BSFC engine with post oxidation catalyst emissions systems. This requires a PHEV owner to use about 6.5 liters/month, or roughly 100km of travel/month on gasoline. A drive cycle using less than this quantity of fuel is not a good candidate for a PHEV vehicle application.
Very logical information on PHEV with Gasoline relation.

I am the right victim of ignorance.

I used to drive CT200H which is Lexus Hybrid compact hatchback. This is a little luxury model of Prius. I used to fill gas 3 times year. 10 gal per each usually. My drive range is less than 20 miles and use the car 2, 3 times a week. Total mile a year is 1,000miles.

I thought it was the time to upgrade to take advantage of modern technology, because my Lexus 2012 with 130,000 miles on it. No issue at all. Good reliable car.

I was looking for months to find out the right car within my budget. At that time, I was sure late year model will be better with warranty and technical options.

Finally found this 2022 Outlander PHEV SEL 45,000 miles on it. I negotiate the price as 15900 with my car trade in 8500. Including tax and fee is about my budget. No other car offer similar price with similar level of option in that year model. Since I once experienced Hybrid, I do not want to go back to ICE cars.

When I start to use a car, only a few hours of charging every other day or weekly, no noticeable gas consumption was found. I filled full tank a few days ago since I used most of gas just bring the car from dealership to my home. And then I registered this forum because I am curious about what PHEV owners concerns. I was thinking that if I drive and charge battery like this, what will happen to the gas in the tank after a year.

Today, I found article and I concluded I chose the wrong car to my need. I have to buy Hybrid or EV, instead of PHEV.

What am I gonna do? I feel sad suddenly.

There is a 'sort of' option. You have indicated that you have recently filled your car with gasoline! if yes:
1. Drive it using up as much fuel as you can and once when it is near empty and you need to refill it then:
2. A 10-ounce bottle of stabilizer will keep 25 gallons of gasoline fresh for a whole year. You can proportion it to the amount of fuel you want to fill your tank to.
3. Suggestion ; add a bit of gas first then add the stabilizer and then continue to add the gasoline, this way you are mixing the stabilizer in the tank.

I am sure others will comment on this idea, I do this with my gas generator.

There is a 'sort of' option. You have indicated that you have recently filled your car with gasoline! if yes:
1. Drive it using up as much fuel as you can and once when it is near empty and you need to refill it then:
2. A 10-ounce bottle of stabilizer will keep 25 gallons of gasoline fresh for a whole year. You can proportion it to the amount of fuel you want to fill your tank to.
3. Suggestion ; add a bit of gas first then add the stabilizer and then continue to add the gasoline, this way you are mixing the stabilizer in the tank.

I am sure others will comment on this idea, I do this with my gas generator.
Good advices. That was exactly my idea. I already bought STA-BIL, but it will not be used I will return it because others say I have to burn a certain amount of gas(5 gal) within a certain period(90 days), otherwise computer gives me a waring to refill 5 gal.

I can follow the kind your instruction, but the car ask me to use gas more.

That means to me that I don't have to pay for extra battery to utilize Grid power for charging battery to save money. As before, Hybrid only is enough to me. That's why I am the victim of PHEV with no use. It is the unique case restricted to me because I am not driving a lot.

The only thing I can optimize the utility of PHEV is for emergency mobile power source. In this case, Hybrid only is so and so but PHEV has bigger battery and more longer time for back up. I know it the car should be in ready mode. It is same to Hybrid only car. Even this car(not mine) has 1500w 120v outlet as if it is EV.

There is no concept of money saving exists to me with PHEV.

Last edited:
Very logical information on PHEV with Gasoline relation.

I am the right victim of ignorance.

I used to drive CT200H which is Lexus Hybrid compact hatchback. This is a little luxury model of Prius. I used to fill gas 3 times year. 10 gal per each usually. My drive range is less than 20 miles and use the car 2, 3 times a week. Total mile a year is 1,000miles.

I thought it was the time to upgrade to take advantage of modern technology, because my Lexus 2012 with 130,000 miles on it. No issue at all. Good reliable car.

I was looking for months to find out the right car within my budget. At that time, I was sure late year model will be better with warranty and technical options.

Finally found this 2022 Outlander PHEV SEL 45,000 miles on it. I negotiate the price as 15900 with my car trade in 8500. Including tax and fee is about my budget. No other car offer similar price with similar level of option in that year model. Since I once experienced Hybrid, I do not want to go back to ICE cars.

When I start to use a car, only a few hours of charging every other day or weekly, no noticeable gas consumption was found. I filled full tank a few days ago since I used most of gas just bring the car from dealership to my home. And then I registered this forum because I am curious about what PHEV owners concerns. I was thinking that if I drive and charge battery like this, what will happen to the gas in the tank after a year.

Today, I found article and I concluded I chose the wrong car to my need. I have to buy Hybrid or EV, instead of PHEV.

What am I gonna do? I feel sad suddenly.
I don't think you made the wrong decision. Burning 20L of fuel every three months is not a lot and while the fuel may degrade a little if that is all you ever use you aren't going to notice it given your use.

I don't think you made the wrong decision. Burning 20L of fuel every three months is not a lot and while the fuel may degrade a little if that is all you ever use you aren't going to notice it given your use.
Thank you for your encouragement. I am just sorry that I tried to save a little bit of money but failed. That's it. Thank for you encouragement. I did exarate of my instant filling.

Back