A bit sparse in West Yorkshire

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mocara

Although a bit of a newbie at this. I have only had my Outlander for a little over a week and I have yet to see any others. Maybe I need to work on my observation skills?

Hi...I have to agree. My outlander on order from NHS fleet so don't even have a delivery date yet but I have been looking out for Outlanders every day on my commute from Marsden to Stockport...I saw my first one yesterday plugged in at Ikea Ashton...lovely white one.
This website has been invaluable though.....I can't stop reading posts my OH says I am becoming obsessed.. :lol:

Tiggerific said:
Hi...I have to agree. My outlander on order from NHS fleet so don't even have a delivery date yet but I have been looking out for Outlanders every day on my commute from Marsden to Stockport...I saw my first one yesterday plugged in at Ikea Ashton...lovely white one.
This website has been invaluable though.....I can't stop reading posts my OH says I am becoming obsessed.. :lol:

The Outlander is definitely and obsession risk! There are so many threads on this forum that go into enormous detail about the performance, economy and other possibly quirky features. As you they they do however make compelling reading. So far, in my admittedly limited experience, I can get an indicated 60-80 mpg on runs of up to 100 miles. We're spending a few days on the Isle of Wight in a few days time and this represent a much longer round trip of several hundred miles, so it will be interesting to see what the economy looks like then. So far: I'm letting regen sort itself out using braking, with the exception of long hills where I will use the paddles and I use the save button to make sure there are always a few miles in the battery in case of steep hills. I have received an Ecotricity card, but as yet still find a charger that works - Woolley Edge Services seems to be particularly frail.

Good luck when you get hold of yours and perhaps we will see each other on occasion.

I see around upto 2 or 3 per day in West Yorkshire on the commute - ok, they tend to be the same cars daily going in the other direction but theres plenty around

Driver5 said:
I see around upto 2 or 3 per day in West Yorkshire on the commute - ok, they tend to be the same cars daily going in the other direction but theres plenty around

Look forward to spotting you and a few other PHEV's in the near future.

I drove to work from Leeds to Sheffield all last week and like Driver5 I saw two or three each day on the M1 (and they all over-took me as well so I need to speed up a bit!). There is a GX4 in my estate and I also see the odd one when driving locally in south Leeds/Wakefield. My sightings have increased considerably compared to last Nov/Dec when I first got my PHEV.

I suspect there are more company car users out there due to BIK savings, which might be why I see more of them when on the motorway, probably on business travel?

In the year since I decided to buy, I can still count the number seen here in London on one hand :eek:

greendwarf said:
In the year since I decided to buy, I can still count the number seen here in London on one hand :eek:

Perhaps not too surprising - apart from the Congestion Charging exemption and BIK savings - assuming that you are eligible for them - it is not really an inner city car.

Im in west Yorkshire too, I see so many now, 4 each day and 3 in works car park and some around the local retail parks, so much for been different, even parked next to one with almost the same number plate as mine, I took a pic, cos I'm sad.

When ever I see one parked up I try park next to it :)

maby said:
greendwarf said:

Perhaps not too surprising - apart from the Congestion Charging exemption and BIK savings - assuming that you are eligible for them - it is not really an inner city car.

Err on what basis? Given that you can't move in London for all the Priuses and Chelsea Tractors then surely it is exactly what it was designed for - especially with the financial advantages (inc. free parking in Westminster) :?

greendwarf said:
maby said:
greendwarf said:

Err on what basis? Given that you can't move in London for all the Priuses and Chelsea Tractors then surely it is exactly what it was designed for - especially with the financial advantages (inc. free parking in Westminster) :?

It's physically larger than I would go for as an inner London car - parking spaces are few and far between, so the smaller the better. Also a lot more expensive than I would be owning in London traffic...

(And I speak as one who grew up and learned to drive in London. I worked as a van driver in Central London, and still drive in to work from time to time.)

maby said:
greendwarf said:
maby said:

It's physically larger than I would go for as an inner London car - parking spaces are few and far between, so the smaller the better. Also a lot more expensive than I would be owning in London traffic...

(And I speak as one who grew up and learned to drive in London. I worked as a van driver in Central London, and still drive in to work from time to time.)

I know you and I are doomed not to agree about this but as I mentioned London has a very large Prius & Chelsea Tractor potential customer base - which is presumably the target market, as per California, i.e. affluent & vaguely "green".

greendwarf said:

I know you and I are doomed not to agree about this but as I mentioned London has a very large Prius & Chelsea Tractor potential customer base - which is presumably the target market, as per California, i.e. affluent & vaguely "green".

Well, I would agree about the Chelsea Tractors so, if the alternative is to be driving a Range Rover Evoque around London, then the PHEV probably makes sense. My point in both this and the "Charge/Save..." thread is that it is easy to overestimate the ecological benefits of a PHEV. The electricity generators are aspiring to 250g CO2/kWh - even with best case EV range, your PHEV is effectively putting out more than 50g/km. Averaging the EV range over a full year, taking into account the reduced range in cold weather, a PHEV that never burns any petrol is probably putting out 70g/km, possibly more. Once you start burning petrol, the environmental credentials of a PHEV become very marginal and you quickly reach a point where a modern conventional fossil fuelled car can be doing less damage. Combining the fuel economy of a PHEV with the various tax advantages, it remains financially attractive up to relatively high annual mileages, but a back-of-a-fag-packet calculation indicates that if you do more than about 8000 miles per annum, you would probably be doing less damage to the environment in a modern conventional estate car.

Back