Airport Valet Parking

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Red47

Has anyone used airport valet parking with their Outlander PHEV?

MY new PHEV may be ready next week & we have valet parking booked at Heathrow on Friday (really good deal with Premier Inn). I have this weird concern that the driver who brings the car back when we return won't know how it starts & do something stupid to it.

Yes, I worry too much, I know, as those drivers have probably driven every type of car known to man.

Any experiences?

I've wondered about that. It's not as if you can speak to the guys who will be driving it.

I suppose I'd be a bit worried too, but more because it is brand new. When you think about it, it isn't that difficult to turn on and drive away. You need to put your foot on the brake when turning on, select D and then drive like a normal auto - they won't be bothered about conserving your battery, but other than that I'm not sure what they could do wrong. They would presumably use the remote to lock and unlock so that's easy. They may not have driven a Phev but it's not that dissimilar to a Prius, and they must have come across those...
How far do they normally drive them, is it just round in to a space or 10 miles down the road?
cheers
H

Hypermiler said:
They may not have driven a Phev but it's not that dissimilar to a Prius, and they must have come across those...
It took them 15 minutes, and he had to ask two different people, before he set off in my Plug-in Prius. Great fun listening to him grunt and complain on my dash cam before he gave up and asked someone :)
He did drive impeccably though.
Kind regards
Mark

If you park the car for a longer period make sure you hand it over with a full battery of have them charge it. The car needs the drive battery to keep the charge on the 12V battery.

If you park the car for a longer period make sure you hand it over with a full battery of have them charge it. The car needs the drive battery to keep the charge on the 12V battery
Oh, is that a problem because I will have driven 200+ miles so the battery would be empty?
(I'm leaving the car for 2 weeks)
I suppose I could find a charging point en-route and use the Battery Save function. Would that do the trick?

Red47 said:
If you park the car for a longer period make sure you hand it over with a full battery of have them charge it. The car needs the drive battery to keep the charge on the 12V battery
Oh, is that a problem because I will have driven 200+ miles so the battery would be empty?
I suppose I could find a charging point en-route and use the Battery Save function. Would that do the trick?

Or use the Charge for the last miles of your journey, more fuel used but your battery will charge.

Red47 said:
Or hit "save" when you leave the house, to avoid charging en route.

Most of the heathrow valet parks are a long way offsite. PurpleParking from T5 added 28 miles to my Golf (pre phev) because their secure compound is miles away in Brentford. Short stays are in southall. Don't know which company you are using, but I'd ask them if I were you for your own peace of mind, how far they will drive it offsite and how they manage EVs. Even using 'save' on motorway will use some battery if laden and doing a 'large' 70mph. The car is so easy to drive they'll figure it out, but I'd suggest asking them a couple of questions in advance. I didn't park the phev this year, was away for 2 weeks and taxi worked out nearly close enough in price for me. Otherwise with the phev I've only used the onsite parking at T5 where you keep the keys.

Our Prius came with a simple "how to drive me" idiot's guide card to give to the guy in the valet car park.

I cant believe this came up as a question. These guys are professionals (via the loosest possible definition :D ) and will have driven pretty much all there is to drive. How difficult was it for you to get in, drive and park the PHEV the first time?

Kev.

Used the Business Car Park at T5 last weekend.
It was only a fiver more than Long Term and has "pod" access to T5 - which is great entertainment.
No risk of car being driven badly/stored in a field or residential street/used as a minicab.
To be fair to LHR, LGW is a better source of the best valet parking horror stories.
Will use it again if prices stay competitive.

Well, I'm going to risk it. I pick the new car up tonight & drive down to Heathrow on Thursday.
The alternative was to use my old Shogun, with a dodgy gearbox, for a round trip of 500 miles.

It's Purple Parking at T3. I'll let you know how I get on.

greendwarf said:
maby said:
Our Prius came with a simple "how to drive me" idiot's guide card to give to the guy in the valet car park.

My wife says she wants one for the PHEV :lol:
I that case I feel for you, surely she can find someone better than the guy in the valet car park....

I'll be avoiding valet parking when I get the phev. Two bad experiences at Stanstead meet and greet both times I had scratches and a noticeable dent on my BMW. The company isn't interested and the booking includes lots of disclaimers. I feel much happier parking in a space myself and knowing that the car will not be moved of driven by anyone else.

I was worrying about nothing.
Landed back at T3 Heathrow yesterday & the car was waiting for us as good as new (oh yea, it is new). No problems at all.
I left the operation guide open at the appropriate page & spoke to the guy when we dropped it off & he gave me a smile which was as good as saying "Listen matey, we're professionals you know".

So well done Purple Parking - highly recommended.

Red47 said:
Has anyone used airport valet parking with their Outlander PHEV?

MY new PHEV may be ready next week & we have valet parking booked at Heathrow on Friday (really good deal with Premier Inn). I have this weird concern that the driver who brings the car back when we return won't know how it starts & do something stupid to it.

Yes, I worry too much, I know, as those drivers have probably driven every type of car known to man.

Any experiences?
Just picked up this thread now I used valet parking at Gatwick back in November without problem. It felt a bit odd though the car was only a month old and I handed it over to a Slovak stranger with some concern. I asked him if he was familiar with hybrids and did he need to know anything but he took it without question. I was relieved to get a telephone call from him when picking up my luggage after two weeks away in US and he was there waiting for me.
I am concerned though with mention above of needing the traction battery to have a charge in it because most driving to any airport will be beyond normal EV range. Fortunately I had experimented with Charging whilst driving on the M25 but I would like to see this clarified as I have seen no warning in the manual and find it hard to believe mitsu havn't thought this out.
I know there is this issue with the LEAF battery though and I have acquired one of those cheap plug in voltage meters (cigarette lighter outlet) and I note it reads 12.4v for the Outlander against 12.1v for the LEAF.

Back