Alternative to DRLs

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nixtrix

Pair of 80mm 'Halo' or 'Angel Eye' LED rings from eBay costing £10.
Glued onto the front of the fog lights under the cowl.
Wires just plugged into the feed line for the P13Ws.
Original bulb left in place to keep light housing sealed.
No error messages, no damage to the wiring or the bulb housing.

Nixtrix said:

I was thinking about the same thing last time!! But didn't know which one to go for.

Can you share the link from which you bought it from?

Thanks ;)

tun said:
Nixtrix said:

I was thinking about the same thing last time!! But didn't know which one to go for.

Can you share the link from which you bought it from?

Thanks ;)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-80mm-93LED-COB-Chip-SMD-Car-Angel-Eyes-Headlight-Bright-Halo-Ring-Light-WHITE-/281595738517?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item419069f995

Can you share a close picture with the details of the 'glue final result' ?
How did you manage to open the glass?

t3lmo said:
Can you share a close picture with the details of the 'glue final result' ?
How did you manage to open the glass?
I didn't open the glass. Just took the silver plastic cowl off and glued the rings right to the front (outside) of the fog light housing. There is just enough room to get the rings between the light and the cowl.

I don't see how its glued outside without get wet and dirt. Maybe only with a photo. Can you take one?
I have those 'angle eyes' already but I would like to mount inside the glass.

t3lmo said:
I don't see how its glued outside without get wet and dirt. Maybe only with a photo. Can you take one?
I have those 'angle eyes' already but I would like to mount inside the glass.

I would advise against opening the fog light housing. The halo leds are waterproof and washable.

Wow.. it was as if the rings are made for the PHEV ;)

I've ordered one based on your link you shared yesterday (thanks). Is the installation easy enough for those who just know how to use a screwdriver? ;)

tun said:

I've ordered one based on your link you shared yesterday (thanks). Is the installation easy enough for those who just know how to use a screwdriver? ;)

Glad you like them. Yes, very easy install. You will need some waterproof adhesive.
I used Black Silicone Adhesive Auto Sealant (several brands available).
The two wires from the halo rings go into the two holes of the supply cable for the P13W bulb.
It doesn't matter which way around. I found two small spade terminals of the right size to solder onto the ends of the wires though you could just push the bare wires in.
Then tape over the connection with insulating tape to stop it working out.

Thanks for the pictures! Now we can understand better :)
Maybe I'll try also. I like the halo effect.

Nixtrix said:
tun said:

Glad you like them. Yes, very easy install. You will need some waterproof adhesive.
The two wires from the halo rings go into the two holes of the supply cable for the P13W bulb.
It doesn't matter which way around. I found two small spade terminals of the right size to solder onto the ends of the wires though you could just push the bare wires in.

Thank you so much for the clear instructions.... Who say only BMW has angel eyes? :)

Nixtrix said:
tun said:

It might be worth looking up "Sugru" it's a putty that is completely waterproof that dries to a rubber compound and sticks to anything, you can easily remove it and it comes in a range of colours.

This looks great.
For those with lease cars or are worried about sticking to the light I have had an idea: why not glue the led ring to the back of the cowl ? That way when the LEDs are removed any mess from the glue will not be visible. Better still buy some of the cheap chrome cowls from eBay and use those, keeping the originals for when you return/ sell the car.

Edit : just looked on eBay and for £55 you can buy new cowls with led halo rings built in.
I may just go for the £10 ones with a bit of glue.

jkh112 said:
This looks great.
For those with lease cars or are worried about sticking to the light I have had an idea: why not glue the led ring to the back of the cowl ? That way when the LEDs are removed any mess from the glue will not be visible. Better still buy some of the cheap chrome cowls from eBay and use those, keeping the originals for when you return/ sell the car.

Edit : just looked on eBay and for £55 you can buy new cowls with led halo rings built in.
I may just go for the £10 ones with a bit of glue.

The plain chrome cowls stick onto the original ones, they don't replace them. I just put some on, they look ok.
The ones with the halo rings built in do replace the original cowl.
If you stick the halo rings onto the inside of the cowls, you will have to use clear adhesive. :)

I have ordered the £10 eBay ones. When they come I'll take a look at whether to stick them to the glass or the back of the cowl, I have some clear silicone to use.
I hadn't realised the chrome cowls were just covers.
If I was keeping the car longer I would probably go for the cowls with built in LEDs.

Fitted the £10 eBay rings today. I glued them to the rear of the cowls and not to the glass. This made refitting the lights a little awkward but should make removing them at the end of the lease much easier.
They look really good, a huge improvement on the standard bulbs.

I bought the same ones as linked above but I do have an issue with them; one is bright white but the other seems to have a purple tint to it. I have emailed the seller so await his reply.

Neverfuel said:
Nixtrix said:
tun said:

It might be worth looking up "Sugru" it's a putty that is completely waterproof that dries to a rubber compound and sticks to anything, you can easily remove it and it comes in a range of colours.

I've got the LEDS installed and looking good... but not been able to find any spade connectors small enough to fit - mine seems to have small "prong" pins. Couldnt find anything in Halfords that looked similar.

Any ideas?

AUS shipped PHEV have 55W halogen fog lights, and glass lens. They get "very" hot. If you do use glue, it may need to be a routine later. The LED DRL rings I have will not suffer from use of the fog lights.

The European models seem to have LED fog lights.

Back