Annoyed by following car(s)

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
deskry said:
What I didn't realise was just how much heavier the Volvo was to anything I had driven before and how long it took to slow down.
A bit OT but something heavier doesn't necessarily take more time to stop (or less). Due to the higher weight there is equally more friction between tires and road (which is normally the weakest link).

I use regen all the time (B5) and only go to B0 when there is a nice flat quiet road where I can "free-wheel", such as dropping from 40 to 30 as I enter the village I live in and I can do a good half mile or more coasting.

I did wonder if it was worth a small mod - running a pair of wires up from the brake light switch to a small push button and mount it to the regen paddle, so when slowing on regen, you could push the button and show the brake lights - a lot of drivers drive too close, they should know better, but on the other hand I don't want someone hitting me up the chuff.

Jeff

anko said:
deskry said:
What I didn't realise was just how much heavier the Volvo was to anything I had driven before and how long it took to slow down.
A bit OT but something heavier doesn't necessarily take more time to stop (or less). Due to the higher weight there is equally more friction between tires and road (which is normally the weakest link).
That is true, and a reason military tank drivers have to be very aware of anything driving behind them in case they are on a public road. These things can brake to standstill almost instantly and the rear will slam down, crushing any unlucky following vehicle.

anko said:
Why not simply hit the brake paddle lightly? It does exactly that.

My brakes are so sensitive, it is hard to just have the lights come on without actually braking - maybe easier to wind the adjuster out a bit (if it has one)?

jthspace said:
My brakes are so sensitive, it is hard to just have the lights come on without actually braking - maybe easier to wind the adjuster out a bit (if it has one)?

They are actually sensitive because the inital braking force is e-motor regen. Try braking in N.

jthspace said:
anko said:

Now I am lost. Why would you want the brake lights to come on when you are not braking?

anko said:
Now I am lost. Why would you want the brake lights to come on when you are not braking?
:D Better safe than sorry, they say...

No need to wire up the reku paddles, just switch on the rear fog lights before departure and problem is solved. ;)

anko said:
jthspace said:
anko said:

Because in traffic approaching a roundabout (for example) cars in front are braking, my regen is slowing my car perfectly with no brake use and the car behind me is getting closer and closer - maybe driving standards are better in the Netherlands than the UK (most definately so, I would expect) - so a "flash" of the brake lights, even though I don't need my brakes, would be useful. Also where people are tailgateing on the motorway, a set of brake-lights may be useful so that I don't actually slow down and get hit up the tail.

Ah, now I see. You mean "without using the friction brakes", right? But to my experience, it is no difficult at all to use the brake pedal without deploying the friction brakes.

anko said:
Ah, now I see. You mean "without using the friction brakes", right? But to my experience, it is no difficult at all to use the brake pedal without deploying the friction brakes.
As I said before, as soon as I touch my brake pedal to make the lights come on the brakes come on, maybe, as I mentioned, the brake switch could be adjusted for sensitivity?

erm...

I'm fairly sure that this is not true.

If you brake gently with the brake pedal, the friction brakes are not operating at all.

The brake pedal activates the brake lights and turns on regenerative braking.

I believe that you have to really stomp on the brakes to get the friction brakes involved.

Andy

jthspace said:
anko said:
As I said before, as soon as I touch my brake pedal to make the lights come on the brakes come on, maybe, as I mentioned, the brake switch could be adjusted for sensitivity?
I think you are missing the fact that the first part of travel of your brake pedal is regen braking. You have to brake pretty forcefully to activate friction braking.

Exactly what I mean. Only during the last few meters before coming to a full stop the friction brakes are applied. Unless you push the pedal (I would not say: stump on) fairly hard. Then they will assist earlier.

Also depends on B level. At a lower B level the friction brakes will step in earlier then on a higher B level.

anko said:
Exactly what I mean. Only during the last few meters before coming to a full stop the friction brakes are applied. Unless you push the pedal (I would not say: stump on) fairly hard. Then they will assist earlier.

Also depends on B level. At a lower B level the friction brakes will step in earlier then on a higher B level.

But I think he means the other way round - if he is using B5 to slow the car then even a light touch of the brake pedal will activate the friction brakes and give the feel of "snatching".

greendwarf said:
anko said:

But I think he means the other way round - if he is using B5 to slow the car then even a light touch of the brake pedal will activate the friction brakes and give the feel of "snatching".

Thank-you - that's what I "feel" and if using B5 and touch the brakes, I stop / slow even quicker than I need / want to, hence it would be nice to have a way of having the brake lights indicate I am slowing at the same (retardation of) speed as the cars in front of me, even if I am not "physically" using the brake pedal / friction brakes.

jthspace said:

Thank-you - that's what I "feel" and if using B5 and touch the brakes, I stop / slow even quicker than I need / want to, hence it would be nice to have a way of having the brake lights indicate I am slowing at the same (retardation of) speed as the cars in front of me, even if I am not "physically" using the brake pedal / friction brakes.

I thought that the new 2016 model did that...

jthspace said:
greendwarf said:
anko said:

Well, it is a long way from B5 to B5 + friction brakes. Roughly said, the friction brakes are applied only when the regen power does not further increase when you press harder on the pedal. But that is more or less besides the point, I understand now.

If you want to use the brake pedal but not brake faster then B5, why not drive around in B4?

Back