Constant beep whilst failing to start

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlexinNorfolk

Morning all,

First time problem after three years and lots of miles: wouldn’t start at all in weird circumstances this morning.

Background: car is used constantly and is fully charged after a cold (-4?) night. My wife has to go out, so I head outside to defrost the car (as my remote app has stopped talking to it. But life’s too short…) Charge cable still connected. Switch the car on (fine), put it in charge mode (fine), stick the heater on to clear the windscreen, and the rear window heater on. All works, so I head back into the house.

When she goes to leave, having disconnected the charge cable - about fifteen minutes later, things start going wrong.

- a constant steady beep from the exterior of the car.
- the car/electrics appear to be totally dead. Except that the ‘P’ is lit up on the gear shift, and the MMCS/radio is working
- the brake pedal is stuck down.

I experiment by pushing things at random, before discovering that pushing the start button three or four times quickly changes the state of the car. The dash display comes on, as if it’s going to work. But then the full battery (range) indicator changes to an empty battery indicator, then the display disappears completely. Then an error message flashes up on the screen, but disappears instantly, making it impossible to read. (Didn’t think of videoing it on my phone, then pausing it). At least the beeping stops. Nothing works.

I try this a few times with the same result. But the exterior lights at the front start flickering, and to my ears the beeping is getting softer. Which makes me think about the battery. When I give up and open the door to leave the car, I get the amber warning that I’ve not turned it off.

Anyway, I head inside, skim the manual (spectacularly unhelpful) and go through these forums. The only vaguely similar thing I could find was at: https://www.myoutlanderphev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5762 - apologies if I’ve missed something and am massively duplicating here.

So after an hour, I wander back outside and try again. The car starts as normal. No problem. Full charge in the drive battery, no warning light RE the aux battery. I drive it round the village. Nothing out of the ordinary at all. It’s still -1 outside so it hasn’t warmed up appreciably.

So my GUESS is that there was a problem with the aux battery reaching a low level? But I am baffled as to why this miraculously cured itself. I’m going to take it in to a local garage after the weekend to get them to check the aux battery level and that it’s charging OK. But any advice from any of you to give me any more information/peace of mind would be massively appreciated.

(Sorry for the essay - never posted on here before as had no problems, but have very much appreciated dipping into these forums over the past couple of years. )

The Aux battery gets a charge at 2pm, did your experience straddle that time (or 1 hour either side of it as I'm not sure if it changes one way or the other with daylight savings time etc)?

Sounds very much like a dead 12V battery, especially as it was very cold. Except that the DC-DC converter should kick in as soon as the car's turned on and the 12V becomes redundant, so it shouldn't happen. I'd still try connecting a battery via the jump-start terminal under the bonnet and see if that clears it up.

Hi Littlescrote - thanks for the suggestion but nope - was at around 9.30 in the morning.

ThudnBlundr said:
Sounds very much like a dead 12V battery, especially as it was very cold. Except that the DC-DC converter should kick in as soon as the car's turned on and the 12V becomes redundant, so it shouldn't happen. I'd still try connecting a battery via the jump-start terminal under the bonnet and see if that clears it up.

Thanks - I’ve had more time to go through the forums at my leisure now, and it does look as if it was the 12v battery, as a dodgy one does seem to cause odd side effects from as far as I can see. The thing that really foxed me was how it started perfectly an hour or so later - and I’ve had no problems since… it’s as if nothing happened. I’m still going to take it in to get the battery looked at, however - as I’m switching it on each morning with my heart in my mouth.

My guess - based on very little technical knowledge - is that the 12v might have totally discharged for some reason after I switched it on to defrost it (thus putting quite a load on the car’s all-round electrics), and then… recharged in the time that I left it alone in order to ponder a solution? Not sure that quite convinces me, but stranger things have happened.

Takeout: have always enjoyed owning this car. But would prefer a nice simple ‘your battery is looking a bit dodgy’ light on the dashboard rather than the ‘whole electrics going haywire’ thing…

Hi Littlescrote - thanks for the suggestion but nope - was at around 9.30 in the morning.

Thanks - I’ve had more time to go through the forums at my leisure now, and it does look as if it was the 12v battery, as a dodgy one does seem to cause odd side effects from as far as I can see. The thing that really foxed me was how it started perfectly an hour or so later - and I’ve had no problems since… it’s as if nothing happened. I’m still going to take it in to get the battery looked at, however - as I’m switching it on each morning with my heart in my mouth.

My guess - based on very little technical knowledge - is that the 12v might have totally discharged for some reason after I switched it on to defrost it (thus putting quite a load on the car’s all-round electrics), and then… recharged in the time that I left it alone in order to ponder a solution? Not sure that quite convinces me, but stranger things have happened.

Takeout: have always enjoyed owning this car. But would prefer a nice simple ‘your battery is looking a bit dodgy’ light on the dashboard rather than the ‘whole electrics going haywire’ thing…
Quite possible that the battery actually warmed itself a bit through your efforts to make it go. After that it functions normally enough to just work as it should.

There are quite a lot of reported instances of total fail of the 12v battery and the multitude of errors the car reports along the way. Heck,mine went totally dead (2volts, yes, two) which I discovered only 4 or so hours after a normal day going to work and home again.

Back