Outlander PHEV Sub-Zero Operation Question

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The "Reminder" to owners simply says that the update *may* slow the cooling - there's nothing to suggest that they've done anything except a little bit of CYA so they can blow smoke about having taken steps to address the problem.
Had the update installed 2 weeks ago. EV previously worked as it should with logic as to when the ICE would cut in. Since installation of update any logic has disappeared. ICE is now on frequently when in EV priority. Frequently when changing breaking from 2 to a higher number, get warning "EV priority mode not available." This does not make sense. Can be stopped and the ICE will come on Why? Can change to single pedal operation ICE will come on Why? Normal route l take into town I would typically use 40% of drive battery charge. Now with ICE coming on frequently l may use 20% of charge but LOTS of fuel. So much for the EV!!!Drive temperatures in the 5 to 10C range. Absolutely no LOGIC to the installed program Dealership and calling Mitsubishi customer service was nothing but frustrating. ASKED TO HAVE UPDATE REMOVED.REFUSED UNABLE!! Asked to reinstall update as maybe failed to install properly. REFUSED!
Any help[/solution.? Mitsubishi technical has to get involved but apparently an iron curtain in place
!

ICE is now on frequently when in EV priority. Frequently when changing breaking from 2 to a higher number, get warning "EV priority mode not available." This does not make sense.
This has always been the case. If your battery is more than about 2/3 full, it cannot charge fast enough to handle more than B2 levels of regen. To compensate, the "waste" the regen power by having the generator spin the ICE (without injecting fuel). They don't want this done on a cold, ublibricated engine, so they periodically idle it to warm it up and lubricate it.

Had the update installed 2 weeks ago. EV previously worked as it should with logic as to when the ICE would cut in. Since installation of update any logic has disappeared. ICE is now on frequently when in EV priority. Frequently when changing breaking from 2 to a higher number, get warning "EV priority mode not available." This does not make sense. Can be stopped and the ICE will come on Why? Can change to single pedal operation ICE will come on Why? Normal route l take into town I would typically use 40% of drive battery charge. Now with ICE coming on frequently l may use 20% of charge but LOTS of fuel. So much for the EV!!!Drive temperatures in the 5 to 10C range. Absolutely no LOGIC to the installed program Dealership and calling Mitsubishi customer service was nothing but frustrating. ASKED TO HAVE UPDATE REMOVED.REFUSED UNABLE!! Asked to reinstall update as maybe failed to install properly. REFUSED!
Any help[/solution.? Mitsubishi technical has to get involved but apparently an iron curtain in place
!
Welcome to the real world!
Your complain is the main Outlander PHEV complain in last years... engine kicking in for no reason even at above 0 temperatures.
Even without the "update" up in years the vehicle gets more one will experience that engine.

So I'm having similar experiences to @ptbuoy after the update. It's -2C which means I should be able to run in EV mode without issue but instead my engine is kicking on constantly. I'm not running in B mode. I don't have the defrost enabled. When I first get in the vehicle it operates like normal but after driving for a few minutes suddenly it acts like it's -30C and anytime I hit the gas it tries to kick on the engine. As you can see from my photos, even doing 30km/h it's hitting the threshold to kick the engine on. Basically have to drive at a snails pace to stay in EV mode. My battery is within the normal temperature range as well.

This is completely different than the behaviour it had prior to the update. Whatever they did when setting the thresholds for the battery temperature range has caused other battery thresholds to be screwy.

If it's going to kick my engine on during a 5 minute drive under 50 km/h this vehicle has become worthless to me - the whole reason we chose Mitsubishi was so we could drive in EV mode during normal weather but have the engine backup for road trips and cold weather.

1710891859296.png

This has always been the case. If your battery is more than about 2/3 full, it cannot charge fast enough to handle more than B2 levels of regen. To compensate, the "waste" the regen power by having the generator spin the ICE (without injecting fuel). They don't want this done on a cold, ublibricated engine, so they periodically idle it to warm it up and lubricate it.

Welcome to the real world!
Your complain is the main Outlander PHEV complain in last years... engine kicking in for no reason even at above 0 temperatures.
Even without the "update" up in years the vehicle gets more one will experience that engine.
Vehicle 2023 Problem occurred with update on mandatory service at 8000km Problem occurs no matter what charge remains. Any Mitsubishi factory techs monitoring this forum who give me an answer or are they prohibited!!!

I don't have "B" mode enabled. Just normal drive. This has not always happened. I've been driving it for 5 months and it's a dramatic change from one week ago even.

Vehicle 2023 Problem occurred with update on mandatory service at 8000km Problem occurs no matter what charge remains. Any Mitsubishi factory techs monitoring this forum who give me an answer or are they prohibited!!!
Yea I understand. What I wanted to say is the same has happened with previous models as well.
I can't be sure it was after mandatory service cause I got it second hand but a lot of owners described drastic change in engine behaviour after service centre visit (2018 - 19) models.
My engine was kicking in after a minute of driving when under 5C no matter HVAC off, no defrost and no power required.

Yea I understand. What I wanted to say is the same has happened with previous models as well.
I can't be sure it was after mandatory service cause I got it second hand but a lot of owners described drastic change in engine behaviour after service centre visit (2018 - 19) models.
My engine was kicking in after a minute of driving when under 5C no matter HVAC off, no defrost and no power required.
Offtopic: Whatever this update is, I don't have it. @kpetrov is it possible that one of your battery cells is in bad condition compared to the others?

Ontopic: Whatever they did with the new software for the Outlander PHEV was "too much" and needs fine-tuning. I would suggest complaining constantly to MMNA and the dealers to force the MMC to fix it ASAP.

I know they are currently doing cold and snow tests for the new Outlander PHEV before releasing it in Europe, so hopefully that would be taken into account as well. Source: https://media.mitsubishi-motors-eur...v-my23-super-all-wheel-control-system-on-ice/

The maximum difference in cell voltage on mine 2018 is 0.003V, not ideal but wouldn't say so bad.
It can be the culprit though.

I have the older 2019 MY, but cold weather performance is something I'll be paying attention to, especially after seeing the difference a cold battery made on a really long highway trip blocking parallel mode from engaging for the whole trip - a 36% hit to fuel economy! I already sketched up a design after doing my oil change earlier in the week and crawling around under the car, and I'll probably install an auxiliary traction battery heater before next season, I'll post a thread here if/when I build such a contrivance. My initial cost estimates are that it should be roughly the same cost as installing a block heater, +/-.

Back