Are you using locked or unlocked charger setting at public charge station

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zerocharge

Hi,

I had an issue with my 2023 outlander phev in a public charging station today: I stop the charging in the app from my phone first but the charger still locked. So I tried to use the unlocked button under dashboard. With 2 unsuccessful experiences, it works in the 3rd time. However the dash board showed me phev system failed message when I started the car. The message went away after I successfully init a charging at home. I went through a car user manual the 1st time in my life. Here's some thoughts:
1. Locking charging port is anti-thief measure rather than a system safety measure: to prevent others steal your charger. in this term, if I only use the adaptor in my house, it's better to use unlock mode instead of locking?
2. In the manual it says "press the button to unlock the charger" but I feel i need to do a long press instead of just a normal press. is it same with your car?
3. The charging protocol needs to be improved. I think the reason why I got a "phev system failed" warning because the car detected a charging connector but won't be able to get any juice from it. Because I stopped it from the app. Also it might have something to do with I didn't disconnect fast enough. This is not uncommon situation. the protocol needs to be smart enough to realize the system works properly.

Also I'm looking into installing a level 2 charger at home so I could enjoy the off peak rate. Any recommendations in Ontario?

The error appears when the handshake between the car and the charger fails, usually when it's interrupted. In the earlier model, starting the car was the best way to interrupt it. It will automatically end the charging session from the car. I'm not sure if this works for the newer model.

The error appears when the handshake between the car and the charger fails, usually when it's interrupted. In the earlier model, starting the car was the best way to interrupt it. It will automatically end the charging session from the car. I'm not sure if this works for the newer model.
my 2023 model still have the same issue. I was using ivy charging station. I try to start from the app before i plug in. It won't work.

Then this process needs quick hands: within 30 secs plugin, you should click the start on the app. within 30 secs, you stop the charging from the app, you should unlock and take off the plug. what an experiences.

The only thing I could recommend is to avoid fast charging unless it's really cheap/free. It's not worth it in most cases, and the petrol price is lower than the fast charger.

The only thing I could recommend is to avoid fast charging unless it's really cheap/free. It's not worth it in most cases, and the petrol price is lower than the fast charger.
Depends where you are. If you are in canada where regular is 1.45/L. Public charging station still cheaper than gas.

Looks like public charging stations in Canada are on the cheap side as the petrol is about the same price in Europe.

Back