Australian Launch Delayed

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
brewster said:
Looks like we'll have to wait until 2014 to get the plugin Outlander.

http://www.motoring.com.au/news/2013/mitsubishi-delays-outlander-phev-35940

That is really bad news, Australia is definitely an important market for Mitsubishi, But more importantly it could be a domino effect because I've seen this happen many times; a car maker delays the relase in one market and because of the same problem has to delay several other markets...

Does anybody know the real reason the Outlander PHEV is delayed in Australia

It’s a pity that Mitsubishi decided to delay Australian launch of Outlander PHEV. I liked the quotation of Corporate Communications Manager about the release in December. This is good news.

BobMarin said:
brewster said:

That is really bad news, Australia is definitely an important market for Mitsubishi, But more importantly it could be a domino effect because I've seen this happen many times; a car maker delays the relase in one market and because of the same problem has to delay several other markets...

This has most likely been caused by the battery problems Mitsubishi has encountered earlier this year with cars already delivered in Japan.
On top of that they have booked a large number of orders from the Netherlands that have to be delivered before year's end, as a change in Dutch taxes per jan 1st makes the car more expensive when first delivered in 2014. Mitsubishi has however been forced by the Japanese governement to first solve all the problems for the current Japanese owners, before an export permit for any PHEV leaving Japan will be given.
One good thing though: The quality will have improved by the time the Outlander PHEV reaches Australia.

case said:
BobMarin said:
brewster said:

This has most likely been caused by the battery problems Mitsubishi has encountered earlier this year with cars already delivered in Japan.
On top of that they have booked a large number of orders from the Netherlands that have to be delivered before year's end, as a change in Dutch taxes per jan 1st makes the car more expensive when first delivered in 2014. Mitsubishi has however been forced by the Japanese governement to first solve all the problems for the current Japanese owners, before an export permit for any PHEV leaving Japan will be given.
One good thing though: The quality will have improved by the time the Outlander PHEV reaches Australia.

That is a good point you made about jan 1st tax changes, I heard about it but I haven't payed much attention. I wonder if Mitsubishi will manage to deliver the Outlanders to the Dutch on time.

In the US, I'm ok with a little delay. One hopes that a delay means they get all the kinks out before it hits the market.

I don't intent to buy an Outlander plug-in, but I'm keen to see the market for these types of cars thrive. Here's hoping all this delaying is good for something.

BrotherBig said:
In the US, I'm ok with a little delay. One hopes that a delay means they get all the kinks out before it hits the market.

I don't intent to buy an Outlander plug-in, but I'm keen to see the market for these types of cars thrive. Here's hoping all this delaying is good for something.

It would be great if the delays of the Outlander's are being caused by minor improvements and finishing touches but the truth is that it' caused solely by the deficiencies of the Lithium-Ion batteries that were proven to be troublesome.

I'm glad I'm not the only lurker around here that is interested in the EV cars in general, for some reason I'm pretty sure that a car like Outlander PHEV(affordable SUV) is going to be very important for the faster adoption rates of the EV technology in general

Agreed! Particularly when we're talking an SUV not a sedan. It'll be interesting to see how it all pans out.

An Outlander PHEV that does well could do well for everyone. Might just prove there is sustainable market beyond the little day trip cars.

BrotherBig said:
Agreed! Particularly when we're talking an SUV not a sedan. It'll be interesting to see how it all pans out.

An Outlander PHEV that does well could do well for everyone. Might just prove there is sustainable market beyond the little day trip cars.

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV really is a very important car when it comes to EVs in general because if the launch doesn't go well I could really see other car makers delay production which would really be bad for this transition to EVs we are going through.

Dannyboy said:
BrotherBig said:

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV really is a very important car when it comes to EVs in general because if the launch doesn't go well I could really see other car makers delay production which would really be bad for this transition to EVs we are going through.

Especially now that it's confirmed that the Mitsubishi Outlander launch is delayed for even the american market...

Right. Delays in something like this can be largely counterproductive.

We're talking a vehicle people are screaming for, but the first of its kind in this sense of a fully PHEV in an SUV.

If they continue delaying, there may not be a market left for them by the time it launches in the US.

I fear the Outlander PHEV may be a doomed product before it even hits major markets.

There is some good talk about, though, for 2015 offerings that may be using the Outlander's forward thinking technologies.

Back