Average klms (miles) per charge

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Average kilometers per charge

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 5.9%

Votes: 2 11.8%

Votes: 9 52.9%

Votes: 5 29.4%

• Total voters
avensys said:
I guarantee it can operate in parallel hybrid mode from 40mph.
That has been my experience too, with the vehicle in Charge mode, on accelerating from rest up a hill, the moment it hit around 64kmph, the car was in parallel hybrid mode. That was an experiment though, and I haven't tried it again (the road was downgraded from 70 to 60kmph last year, as our nanny state is reducing upper limits to zombie levels).

maby said:
It certainly cannot operate in parallel mode at speeds much less than 70mph since there is no gearbox - in parallel mode, the engine is coupled directly to the front wheels at an effective 1:1 gear ratio.

Click to enlarge.

Kind regards,
Mark

Hi,

after 8 weeks and 2,691 kms I took the PHEV to the petrol station today - just to keep it comfortable in these unknown surroundings.

Filled the tank to the brim with 12.5 liters of Eurosuper @ 1.68 CHF/l = 21.00 CHF.

After 25 kms, this:

JoY5gT.jpg

was pleasant to see.

The quite heavy driving in these past two months had made the tires loose .2 bar - also remedied.

avensys said:
Hi
I guarantee it can operate in parallel hybrid mode from 40mph. Mitsubishi state the engine runs at 2100rpm at 50mph which I have checked with an app called Torque and an OBD reader.
Do a simple test. Make sure the engine is fully warmed up, then in charge mode (just to force the engine to stay running) accelerate past 40mph and you hear the engine revs drop and the display change to indicate the engine is directly connected to the wheels.
Kind regards
Mark

Totally aggreed.

maby said:
ufo said:
Btw., the ICE can only operate in parallel mode eat speeds over 117 KpH as it connects to the front wheels directly and has no gearbox.

I don't think so from my experience. If you use Save or Charge, ICE operates in paralel mode at speeds less than 117 KpH. Depending on battery charge level, load and road conditions;
-ICE operates in paralel mode just running front wheels
-ICE operates in paralel mode running front wheels but also charging drive battery.
-ICE operates in paralel mode running front wheels and rear electric motor running.
-ICE operates in paralel mode running front wheels and both rear and front electric motors running.

PHEV was running with Adaptive Cruise Control set to 100 KpH in the above metioned trip to central cost from Sydney.

By indicating above I don't mean it always remained in Paralel mode, it did switch to series mode too.

It certainly cannot operate in parallel mode at speeds much less than 70mph since there is no gearbox - in parallel mode, the engine is coupled directly to the front wheels at an effective 1:1 gear ratio.[/quote]

Well, you need to do more reading and actual testing yourself. I watched above happening with my very own eyes.

Yeah,yeah. You guys are right. I was not thinking straight. 117 is the speed above which the car, running on a flat road, will be in ICE mode (with a little help from the rear motors)

Well the debate rolls on concerning Parallel mode when driving under 70 mph...maybe I was wrong when I equated this with 117 kph...depends which conversion app i use and I just received 112 kph on a different app. Anyway, while I never got to such speeds last Sunday I had the screen on the energy flow the whole time and I never noticed anything other than the series mode energy flow or the ev mode. The weather was quite bad and this could have contributed.
Living on the northern beaches it has never been so cold as to send the ice into operation upon early morning driving. In fact even when the drive battery has this reading --- on the screen, ice does not seem to kick in so I panic and hit charge myself. Maybe, I should try and not panic and see what happens.
Arnie, the trip for me from Colloroy to Kincumber,,,and two passengers and a dog to Avoca Beach....back to Kincumber to unload additions . Total km was 190.
Want to go again sooner rather than latter to see if the PHEV will do better without the rain and putting it into Save mode rather than charge.

Grace

Why on earth should you panic and start hitting buttons? :?:

when the car shows --.-- the car will simply go on driving. There is no way you can come to a standstill unless you drain the petrol tank too. In fact, if you leave it you will see the display switching between --.-- and 1 all the time, under 50 kph the car will still be in full EV mode for a number of Kms.

The display means yo have 20% of charge left, and the car will use 7% to run normally, switching between ICE and EV like any other hybrid.
Exactly like save mode, only automatically.

Only if you are asking more power than the car can supply by the ICE will it finally run down to emergency mode, when it will reduce power to get into normal driving mode as soon as possible.
But it will never stop, as long as you have a drop of petrol left.

Thanks for the information...I will no longer panic. I knew nothing about ev cars prior to buying this one, and had only driven manual cars...usually for 10 years a model. It has been a steep learning curve and I appreciate having the forum to post "dumb statements" and learn.

Grace

jaapv said:
Why on earth should you panic and start hitting buttons? :?:

when the car shows --.-- the car will simply go on driving. There is no way you can come to a standstill unless you drain the petrol tank too. In fact, if you leave it you will see the display switching between --.-- and 1 all the time, under 50 kph the car will still be in full EV mode for a number of Kms.

The display means yo have 20% of charge left, and the car will use 7% to run normally, switching between ICE and EV like any other hybrid.
Exactly like save mode, only automatically.

Only if you are asking more power than the car can supply by the ICE will it finally run down to emergency mode, when it will reduce power to get into normal driving mode as soon as possible.
But it will never stop, as long as you have a drop of petrol left.

Hitting buttons is not just due to panic, it is to do with getting/sustaining/achieving optimum driving scenario and thus best fuel economy. As I mentioned in other treads even though PHEV has all the brain power to figure out in which mode to run it has no idea about itinerary of the drive ahead i.e. what portion of driving ahead is city or freeway driving and how long. Depending on drive itinerary ahead one can use Save & Charge button to build much more effective scenario and obtain better economy. But most importantly 100 % pure EV driving can be achieved in start/stop city driving. If you let PHEV to its own you end up with series mode driving, which is least efficient of the modes, at the end of mixed freeway and city driving. But if you use Save & Charge buttons, you can have 100% parallel mode driving on freeway and 100% pure EV driving in City. Of course this is with the assumption that city driving at the end of itinerary is not more than 52km,pure EV range of PHEV, if it is no matter what you will end up with some series mode driving. But even in that case you still come out with much better result.

Read the post I responded to. The panic is not introduced by me and had nothing to do with fuel economy. The poster feared the car would come to a standstill when it reached an empty battery. His words.

I have driven the car for more than half a year and 25000 Km now, and believe me, apart from the few obvious rules for using the controls as discussed here regularly, the best economy is obtained by letting the car do its own thing.
It is a question of driving style. In city driving and country roads I always end up with 98% or 99% of EV operation. Without playing piano. And I am not a sluggish driver.
On longer motorway drives I always use save but take care not to arrive with electricity left, Charge is rarely used as we do not have mountains nor emission zones.
That is all.

Back