Bought a 2017 PHEV but has no charging leads

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alucid

Hi All,

I bought a 2017 Outlander recently. I knew it didn't come with any charging cables.

What two sets of cables would I need to purchase?

I want the UK 3 pin plug one for home charging and the other for fast charging at public points.

I've been looking on Amazon and I'm a bit lost.

Thanks

You can buy official/original OEM ones second hand off ebay fairly cheaply these days, e.g. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/156196690798

however if you wanted one that has warranty - I have found that the Toolstation ones are very reliable, they do a 5metre and 10metre cable version - 200 quid: https://www.toolstation.com/masterplug-mode-2-ev-charging-cable/p34087 (sorry - Screwfix seem to have stopped selling the Type1 you will need). DO NOT BUY A TYPE 2 3PIN!

For public chargers, its best to purchase a second hand type 1 to type 2 cable off ebay from someone who has sold on their nissan leaf already, and no longer needs the cable. Or one of the 3rd party replacements - searching for "type 1 to type 2 ev charging cable" should do it (on amazon too): My suggestion would be to get at least a 5metre (if not 10metre) for public charging points, due to most of them being kerb side, on the opposite side from the charging port on the car - it can be a bit of a stretch, especially if the parking bays are shared!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/296420929173 - cheaper as its just 3metres.

Hi All,

I bought a 2017 Outlander recently. I knew it didn't come with any charging cables.

I want the UK 3 pin plug one for home charging and the other for fast charging at public points.

Thanks
I'm in Canada and I bought mine on Amazon. its a 220v 16 amp charger. The car came with a 110 V charger that was switchable from 8amp to 12 amp. You don't need one for public chargers, at least in Canada. All the public charger sites have cables. I suggest NOT going to the public sites since they cost 5 times more that charging at home. If your battery runs low use the engine to charge or just run on gas.

Hi All,

Thanks
If you bought it from a dealer in the UK it would not be of "merchantable quality" under the Sale of Goods Act (unless you specifically agreed to not have the original cable). I imagine the circumstances are similar in Ireland as an EU country - so my first action would be to grab the salesman warmly by the throat until they agreed to provide or reimburse you! 🤣

I'm in Canada and I bought mine on Amazon. its a 220v 16 amp charger. The car came with a 110 V charger that was switchable from 8amp to 12 amp. You don't need one for public chargers, at least in Canada. All the public charger sites have cables. I suggest NOT going to the public sites since they cost 5 times more that charging at home. If your battery runs low use the engine to charge or just run on gas.
Just charge it at home, outside chargers are ripping you off and you can charge at home at 12 amp for 5 to 6 hours overnight unless you live in apartment.

Hi All,

Thanks
Did you double check the cable storage area below the floor in the boot of the car?

You can use any Type 1 EVSE (with 3 pin UK plug), and you will find these on marketplaces like eBay or Amazon. I use only trusted manufacturers because the chargers work hard and cheap parts wear out. My Outlander is currently being charged by a Nissan Type 1 EVSE (manufactured by Panasonic), which had never been unwrapped and was one third the price of a Mitsubishi EVSE. I think I paid £100 last year.

Some cars that were sold with a Type 1 EVSE are GM Volt, Vauxhall Ampera, Nissan Leaf, Mitsubishi Outlander, Mitsubishi i-MiEV. Most sellers don't know what they are selling so you might find prices misaligned.

B&Q also stock one, but I would personally not pay this much.
https://www.diy.com/departments/5m-...-3-pin-plug-delay-timing/5056524275429_BQ.prd

For myself, I'd probably wait for a good one with budget of £150. For a similarly slow AC public charger you may want a Type 2 to Type 1 cable but public charging is not as important as being able to charge at home. I'd set myself a budget of £60 for that public charge cable and wait on eBay.

There is nothing to buy for fast DC public charging as those cables are tethered to the fast chargers - it will be the extra large round plug labelled CHAdeMO. I do use these but they do actually charge fast and there are fines for overstaying so I find them only useful when stopping for a coffee break.

Last edited:
Gas prices in the UK are so high that public charging is usually cheaper.
Are you saying public charging is more expensive than home charging?? I am paying like 24 cents per kWh at night except peak hours (55 cents!!) I don't know how much the public charger charges, at least double I would think. In 2018 when I bought the car, it was 10 cents at home charging and outside charger was about 25 cents, everything is more than double today.

Last edited:
Are you saying public charging is more expensive than home charging?? I am paying like 24 cents per kWh at night except peak hours (55 cents!!) I don't know how much the public charger charges, at least double I would think. In 2018 when I bought the car, it was 10 cents at home charging and outside charger was about 25 cents, everything is more than double today.
In the UK public charging is a lot more expensive than home charging. I don’t track the figures but I think my cheapest home charging (off peak) is about 17p/kWh and the most expensive public charging that I use is about 85p/kWh. I think I have seen 120p advertised.

In reality I probably charge at home (peak times) at around 32p/kWh and slower public charging from the local council will be about 37p/kWh.

All figures guessed as I don’t feel like checking ;)

However, the thrust of my argument is that gas/petrol is stupidly expensive in the UK and as such the Hybrid drive chain is more costly to run than the EV drivetrain.

Last edited:
Hmm interesting how do you charge an EV with gas? Unless you are an American who took a wrong turn in New York and ended up in "Old" York! 🤣
Petrol/gas. I did not laugh with you.

I meant that making the choice of stopping for patrol/gas or stopping for electrons is becoming more common. If you are only concerned with price then the electrons can be cheaper.

To your different topic, those electrons are going to come from somewhere. They may come from burning natural gas (hence my ID), and this is a huge part of the global energy mix so it’s not currently avoidable.

You can of course charge a 2017 Outlander using petrol/gas by pressing the charge button. Counterintuitively, converting the energy to electrons before converting the energy to kinetic might not be an inefficient thing to do for several reasons: The efficiency of a mechanical system is variable at different power outputs, there is a delay between between change in power need and change in power supply (meaning the driver can overcompensate), and there can be wear/tear generating useless heat/sound in useless places such as gear box or other connectors.

Back