British Gas charging costs

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jayfdee

I think British gas now charge (excuse pun) for their installation,I applied just before the charge was introduced and they are honouring the free charge.

That is what I was led to expect. I think that Chargemaster is free till the end of august.

Hi, If I was to go for charge master what charger would you recommend for the PHEV. I know the basic one is free but not to sure if I should go for quicker one. I don't mind paying a bit more if it will justify the benefits.

Thanks
Mark

Had mine fitted today by Chargemaster. No charge but I did upgrade for £95.
Remember to get a Type 1.
8vpxra.jpg

The Outlander can't make use of the higher output charger, can it? So far as I was concerned, if it could recharge the car in less than six hours, it is good enough - it's very rare that I will get home after 10pm or go out before 6am.

Hi kkell
British Gas use Chargemaster units, so the previous discussions on the forum re which BG charge unit should also apply if using Chargemaster. The 30amp upgrade will not benefit you at the moment as the phev can't use that full charging rate (but I have one myself...)
H

Thanks for the replies, I think I agree it makes sense at this price to go for the 30amp for future cars. Glad someone mentioned type 1 as that was my next question lol

Hi again
If you look at the other posts, Type 1 is not the standard for certain other cars, and may not be going forward so for future proofing you might want non-tethered and then buy a separate cable. I have a tethered one and I find this convenient and this should work for Prius or Leaf (which would probably be our most likely 2nd ev purchase).
Cheers
H

Hi all just had my BG charging point fitted,thought I would document my experience.
A team of 2 electricians arrived on time,we actually live in a very remote area. They did a survey took all of 5 mins,and then discussed the possible installation. All agreed I left them to it,they were all done in about 1.5 hrs,which included fitting a new RCD and breaker board, 10 metres of cable,drilling through a 24 inch solid wall,and mounting the charger and junction box on an outside wall.
Very quick clean and efficient,I was impressed. They told me they do 3-4 installations per day.
I am amazed there is no check that you actually have an EV,or have one on order,anyone can request an installation,you can even get a second one if you own a second home.People with no intention of ever having an EV are having them fitted free because they think it increases the value of their property.
I went for the standard 16 amp unit.
Only two more stages,take delivery mid September,sell the Range Rover sport,anyone want to buy a RR Sport?

The Govt are changing the rules for electric charging points from 1 Sep, and you will have to own, or have use of, an electric car under the new rules to qualify for the 75% Govt grant. However, the 25% subsidy that the main installers have been adding (to make it free) is being phased out so it will now cost about £125 for a standard 16A charger unit. There is an interim period from 1 Jul to 31 Aug, where the old rules supply if you had already booked an installation. New customers are getting told their installation will be after 1 Sep, and they will have to pay. I got mine in just in time.

Back