Can I run an electric cooler (4A) while driving for hours?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Treo

I've bough an electric cooler which runs on 12V and draws 4A. As the 12V battery is small (36Ah as I understand) and it is charged with 4.5A would I get myself in trouble?

Will the 12V battery be charged all the time or only when the ICE runs? If it is the latter I might have a problem as the ICE only runs half the time.

Anyone that uses an electric cooler in a PHEV?

I've had an Engle in the boot running off the center consul 12v outlet on a seven hour trip without issue.

The 12v battery is topped up from the traction battery so there is no issue but I would not hard wire it though.

NAPpy

The auxiliary battery is charged as soon aso the ready light comes on. I have recharged mine several times by parking the car on the driveway with the ready light on.

Thanks for the info. Seems like I will be fine.

I'll bring starter cables (as always) so I can boot up the car just in case. ;)

Treo said:
I've bough an electric cooler which runs on 12V and draws 4A. As the 12V battery is small (36Ah as I understand) and it is charged with 4.5A would I get myself in trouble?

Will the 12V battery be charged all the time or only when the ICE runs? If it is the latter I might have a problem as the ICE only runs half the time.

Anyone that uses an electric cooler in a PHEV?

The 12V power will come from the traction battery all the time when the car is in ready mode, so there is no problem.
If you are drawing from the power socket provided and switch the car to accessory mode to activate that socket, there is a timer which will turn off aux power. I think it defaults to 30min.

Back