Charging cables

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sokratesagogo

Hi Chaps,

We've just ordered a new PHEV, and we're wondering where to have the charging point installed.

We would quite like to have the charging unit installed within the garage, even though it is full of junk and we will never be able to get the car inside at night!

Our question is this - if we have the charger installed inside the garage, will the supplied charging cable fit under a closed garage door - so that we can leave it plugged in at night with the garage door locked. Does anyone else do this or are we being dummies?!

Regards,
Sok

The cable bit is just like normal thick electrical cable so , assuming you have the usual gap under the garage door, that should work. You can also lock the car whilst it charges.
However if you have a tethered unit (I have a BG/Polar one), you will have to open and close the garage door to connect/disconnect.
Do check the length of cable though - mine is only around 1.8m. You need to get from where the unit is situated, under the door and get to the rear left of the car - you will probably want to back it up to the door.

Sorry - rear right - driver's side!
My issue is the car can only be parked outside with the driver's side facing away from the house. The charging unit is mounted on an outside wall and the cable length gets there but only just/

You need to distinguish between the supplied cable - which plugs into a 13A socket - and the cable that connects to a dedicated charging point - tethered or untethered. The supplied cable is just a standard 3 core 13A cable. If you go for a charging point, then the cable to the car is 5 core and 16A - it is a fair bit thicker.

If you need a longer than usual run, go for an untethered charging point and buy the cable separately - you will be able to get custom cables made up to your required length.

maby said:
The supplied cable is just a standard 3 core 13A cable.
I assume you mean the cable with a normal household plug, about a foot of cable, a control box, about 10 feet of cable and then the type 1 car plug?

First short piece of cable is indeed 3-core. But the second longer piece must be at least 4-core (control pin being the fourth core), as otherwise the control box would be meaningless. But indeed, it is not very thick.

I had a ChargeMaster unit installed in my portico which means I can back up to the front door on the drive with an easy plug in.

These units come with a lock and I had a tethered unit installed for simple connectivity and reduction of theft attempt.

First attempt at an image post so hopefully it works using the img option, however will post links as well in case it doesn't work.

This shows where the unit is installed.

r180_b_132218.jpg

http://www.dropshots.com/Ozukus/date/2014-12-04/13:22:18

This shows the fact that I can't get to it at the moment nor have a space to take pics of the car

r180_b_132229.jpg

http://www.dropshots.com/Ozukus/date/2014-12-04/13:22:29
If the pics don't show up can someone provide instructions on how to please.

Back