Charging etiquette?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tweeds

Is there such a thing?

If I plugged in at my local shopping centre from 0730 to 1200, 3 days a week, would that be taking the p*ss?

I think that have13A and 32A sockets.

Every time I've looked at the charging points they seem to be empty.

As long as your parked there to charge your car then as far as I'm concerned you are complying with acceptable etiquette. On a 13 amp socket it will be like a standard domestic charge and take about 5 hours anyway, so as you will be charging you won't be taking the mick.

I have always thought this could be a problem with public charging points. Our local town has installed charging points in some of their car parks and three P&R facilities.
I can see the car parks being used for top up with people only staying for 2-3 hours but the park and ride is used by people who work in the city as well as shoppers, I can't see them returning to their cars after 5 hrs to move out to let others in.
There are two bays at each facility, so with cars staying there for the full working day I can't see how they will be cost effective and when others see the light and EV's become more popular there's going to be a fight to get a place! Good job we've got the ICE!!

Peter said:
I have always thought this could be a problem with public charging points. Our local town has installed charging points in some of their car parks and three P&R facilities.
I can see the car parks being used for top up with people only staying for 2-3 hours but the park and ride is used by people who work in the city as well as shoppers, I can't see them returning to their cars after 5 hrs to move out to let others in.
There are two bays at each facility, so with cars staying there for the full working day I can't see how they will be cost effective and when others see the light and EV's become more popular there's going to be a fight to get a place! Good job we've got the ICE!!

I think most will cease to be free quite soon and when they start to charge (in the financial) sense, the price will be per hour, not per unit consumed - this will stop people hogging them all day.

maby said:
Peter said:

I think most will cease to be free quite soon and when they start to charge (in the financial) sense, the price will be per hour, not per unit consumed - this will stop people hogging them all day.
Hi,

Not by time for definite. York charges per KWh consumed at (I think) about 15p per KWh. That seemed quite reasonable to me.

Kind regards,
Mark

avensys said:

Hi,

Not by time for definite. York charges per KWh consumed at (I think) about 15p per KWh. That seemed quite reasonable to me.

Kind regards,
Mark

Where Polar Network charge, they charge per hour.

Tweeds said:
Is there such a thing?

If I plugged in at my local shopping centre from 0730 to 1200, 3 days a week, would that be taking the p*ss?

I think that have13A and 32A sockets.

Every time I've looked at the charging points they seem to be empty.

I think there is a system in place allowing people to get a message to the owner of a car that's charging to request an unplug, but not sure if it's widely known or in use. I would be happy to return if I got a nice text and I could make it back.

If you google "ev charging etiquette there is a funny list of how it should work in an ideal world.

Gentlemen, at the risk of hijacking this thread and taking it kicking and screaming to a darker place, I believe that you are putting the cart before the horse. There are indeed many recommendations and suggestions about acceptable charging behaviour. Many of these make a great deal of sense. However, all of this presupposes that one has access to a charging point in the first place.

I have expressed my concerns before about the paucity of the charging infrastructure in the rural hinterland: Aberdeenshire, anyway. I have accepted the argument that significant expansion of the network is not cost-effective and hence remains unlikely. As with so many things, teuchters can't be choosers. However, this morning I realised that up to now I have been but a child: naive, innocent, unsullied by the sad truths of adult life. I had been at one of our sites, tending to some minor post-festive glitches. I had scheduled my return route to include a stop at the EV charging point in Inverurie, said strategy allowing me to fast charge while picking up some kit from town. A cunning plan, I thought, which would do wonders for my fuel efficiency and possibly do something nice for a polar bear or two into the bargain. Accordingly, I turned into the car park and then stopped. Swore loudly. And swore loudly again. Neatly parked in the only two public EV charging bays within 30 miles of either work or home were a Rover Streetwise and a BMW M5. To the best of my knowledge, neither of these fine motor vehicles rely upon anything other internal combustion as the source of their motive force. The Rover might also rely upon blind faith but this theory has not yet been confirmed.

Now, I know that I have an ICE so missing out on the chance of a quick Chademo splash n' dash does not really hurt me. Granted, it would have been bloody convenient but no real harm was done. What really irks me is the thought of what I would have done if I had been driving a pure EV. I had 1 mile of EV range left, so to all intents and purposes I was running on empty. What should I have done in those circumstances? Bailed out? Waited patiently with a tire iron and a butchers' cleaver until the owners re-appeared? Given up and gone mad? Any suggestions on future courses of action would be much appreciated.

In sum, by all means leave a note with contact details on the screen while charging, lest some pure EV chappie find himself devoid of juice. Be kind, considerate and respectful towards your fellow man. Do unto others as you would they do unto you. But remember, all your plans may be laid low by the ignorant, inconsiderate and witless. I know that there is a circle of hell reserved for them and their ilk and if my prayers are answered they will be plagued with boils and their orifices infested by the fleas of ten thousand camels but right here, right now, there appears to be bugger all that you can do about them.

Sorry for the rant. For some reason I am a little bit p****d off.

In fairness to the perpetrators, the number of EVs and PHEVs on the roads has been so small until recently that those two parking spaces have probably sat completely empty week after week since the chargers were installed. If the car park is full, it is a bit unrealistic to expect someone to drive past and leave the space empty. If the number of EVs does pick up, then perhaps people will understand and respect the reserved spaces. Have you never driven into a full car park and cursed at the number of spaces reserved for disabled drivers and sitting completely empty?

Ah now, I might be showing both my age and a regrettable amount of personal bias. Back when I were a lad t'were drummed into my thick little head that just because I could it did not mean that I should. God knows, I have communed with many deities about many things over the years, often about parking, and I will happily concede that reserved parking bays have at times been the source of some irritation: disabled, parent & child, "reserved parking", you name it and I've seen it empty just when I really could have used it. The problem is that these spaces are there for a reason. I might not like the reason. It may not be a very good reason. Indeed, they may be reserved for reasons that could only be defined as good in a belief system that equates rationality to lunacy. Nevertheless, if the space has been reserved for a defined use it seems only reasonable to respect this. (Must be calming down a little: never thought I could be so understanding!) Anyway, the points have only been in for a couple of months so I'm not sure that the empty space argument necessarily holds water. (Clearly not quite as calm as previous sentence indicates).

The real point is whether as EV users there is anything much we can do about it. Sure, if you drive a PHEV you can smile/shrug/grimace/gesticulate madly and then drive off somewhere else. Drivers of Leafs (Leaves?) or similar don't have the same luxury of choice. Assuming that electricity is not overtaken by hydrogen as the preferred future fuel of choice, EV charge point utilisation is only going to become more of a headache. Do local authorities have any remit for enforcing this sort of thing or are we to hope that increased demand will somehow sort things out by default?

Sorry for yet more grumping. Latent weirdy-beardy tendencies might be getting out of control. V distressing as already have beard.

Don't get me wrong - I'm a pretty law-abiding citizen too. My point is that facilities restricted to certain special groups will become unpopular and be abused if those groups do not use them and the number of EVs on the road has been so small that many non-EV owners have probably got pretty fed up with having nowhere to park while these two or three spaces sit there empty almost all the time and sacrosanct to a mythical bunch of green hippies.

In my home town we have a commercial centre where all the banks are located. There is a car park in the middle with space for perhaps 20 cars. A few years ago, some disabled lobby group put pressure on the council to reserve some spaces for disabled drivers - but rather than reserve three or four spaces, the council reserved the entire car park - and, unsurprisingly, it is always three quarters empty. This did absolutely nothing to endear the general driving public to the cause of disabled drivers!

Hi just to fuel to the fire I carry a disabled drivers blue badge due to a mobility problem and I suppose I could be making things worse now by taking up an EV space and leaving a disabled bay empty.
It is an offence to park in a disabled bay of a council run car park with a fine of up to £1000 if you can't produce a valid blue badge, this doesn't apply to privately run car parks ie like supermarkets or motorway services.
Unless they bring in similar fines for non EV cars parking in EV spaces we will just have to put up with them taking them

Back to the question in hand, there is no doubt such a thing as 'charging etiquette', unfortunately there is not a single, agreed charging etiquette, and etiquette can vary depending on the type of charging point, location and vehicles concerned.

In your local shopping centre, I would say you are pushing the envelope of accepted charging etiquette. I am assuming you need some charge? If so, does it take all that time to charge or could you move your vehicle to free up the space when you have topped up/finished charging? This is where the type of charger comes into play, if a normal, slow charger it might take you over 5 hours for a full charge, for a fast charger maybe 3 hours, and a rapid 30 minutes. It would be acceptable to stay if it took 5 hours to charge, much less so if you were fully charged in 30 minutes.

In Glasgow the Council have provided fast chargers in multi storey car parks and on street spaces. It seems to be generally accepted you can park/charge all day in a multi-storey charging space (and benefit from the free parking too), but should limit your stay to 3 hours for on street spaces (in fact there is a TMO in place limiting stay to 3 hours, however this is currently not enforced).

One solution is to leave a card with your number on the windscreen, if anyone desperately needs the space to charge they can call and ask you to move.

It may also be the case that the acceptable etiquette differs between EV and PHEV drivers. The guy with an EV may have to charge otherwise he is not going to get home. He will be much more receptive to the needs of other EV owners facing similar necessities. We never have to charge - several hours on a charger only equates to a couple of pounds worth of petrol. If I am going to my London office and have an opportunity to charge which requires me to park a mile or more away and I'm told that etiquette requires that I should return to the car and move it three hours later (or even half an hour later), I'm going home on petrol - the saving is simply not worth the disruption to my working day.

I seem to recall threats to fine non-EV parkers at the motorway service area I visited (whilst waiting for delivery) in Wales in the Summer.

Paule23 said:
One solution is to leave a card with your number on the windscreen, if anyone desperately needs the space to charge they can call and ask you to move.

Thinking a woman in a car park late at night would not be too keen on leaving her phone number on the windscreen for many reasons.

I'm sure one or more of the charging companies has a system where you can use the app to message the owner of the other charging car. Would seem the best way to make it work. I don't see how you can try to keep everyone happy because of the multitude of different situations. The message is just a polite way to ask for the space if possible.

So had to do a pickup down towards Ashford today. Local roads to the M20 where I hit save, then off at junction 8 for my pickup and return to junction 8 services for a bit of lunch and a charge, arriving with 1 mile EV, woohoo :)

Found on arrival a Leaf and a PHEV in the charge bays. :(

The Leaf was occupying the left one (facing them) which won't hold sync with a PHEV btw. ;)

However the PHEV on the right not only wasn't on charge but was also taking up about 1 1/3rd of the bays. :x

I find it bad enough having people with non-electric vehicles parking in them, however to find a fellow EV/PHEV in a bay and not even plugged in really gets my goat as that shows no consideration for a fellow EV/PHEV driver. :evil:

Though I do expect, as she came out from what looked like a meet up at the Costa that she was probably a BIK owner, not a PHEV owner and sees an Electric CHARGING Bay as a personal Electric PARKING Bay. :roll:

No been on the site for ages, but a quick look at the latest topics brought this one up and reminded me of my situation some months ago.

While visiting the Kingsway retail park Derby I noticed that there where some bays reserved for EV's and as I was only just popping into Argos (other shops are available!) and they were outside, I slipped into one. 10 minutes later I came out to find a fixed penalty attached to the window! with the explanation that "In proper use of a reserved space" feeling a bit peeved that obviously they had not recognised my type of car. I then saw the large prominent parking notice on the wall, that clearly stated that cars using the bay had to be plugged in! fair cop I say and so have paid up. I was not the only one that day the car next to me Audi A4 had one too. I have been back a few times and seen various others with tickets also, I even told a driver as he got out of his Ford Focus in a EV spot that he will get a ticket. He said thanks but was only going to be a few minutes and left his car. I walked past 5 minutes later and lo and behold he had a ticket!!

So just a friendly warning to read the signs when parking up.

Sharky said:
I then saw the large prominent parking notice on the wall, that clearly stated that cars using the bay had to be plugged in! fair cop I say and so have paid up.

I'm currently fighting Westminster on a similar ticket after I parked in an EV bay but COULDN'T charge because it is OOO (and has been for several months). So rather than take up a nearby ordinary "paid for" space (EV cars park for free in Westminster) I left it there and got the ticket.

In this case (unlike broken ticket machines) there are no instructions telling you the bay becomes suspended - so watch this space :evil:

greendwarf said:
Sharky said:
I then saw the large prominent parking notice on the wall, that clearly stated that cars using the bay had to be plugged in! fair cop I say and so have paid up.

I'm currently fighting Westminster on a similar ticket after I parked in an EV bay but COULDN'T charge because it is OOO (and has been for several months). So rather than take up a nearby ordinary "paid for" space (EV cars park for free in Westminster) I left it there and got the ticket.

In this case (unlike broken ticket machines) there are no instructions telling you the bay becomes suspended - so watch this space :evil:

Good luck!

I am thinking there is a market for a dummy charge cable, say a blank car connector with a bit of orange flex and a magnetic box you can just stick on the side the charging pole. I doubt if wardens are particularly technical.

Back