Charging Help Reqd.

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Angelfire

Just had my Outlander PHEV for a couple of weeks now, and quite enjoying it. But and it's a big but, just been to Scotland for a weeks holls and to my dismay almost all the charging points I tried to access were of the Type 2 Mennekes with a tethered cable. I assume these are unusable for the Outlander PHEV. We had to charge by the three pin plug in our cottage, or the on board charging system, which obviously uses petrol. Or have I been doing something wrong as a new PHEV owner. Any help/replies will be appreciated.

Angel.

You will have to buy one of these to access public charge points, unless you use the fast charger...

https://evconnectors.com/index.php?route=product/product&filter_name=j1772&product_id=122

But unusually she said the chargers had tethered cables - not seen that myself except for the 30 min ones...
H
(assuming Angel is female, apologies if not!)

Hypermiler said:
But unusually she said the chargers had tethered cables - not seen that myself except for the 30 min ones...
H
(assuming Angel is female, apologies if not!)

Yes... That's my thinking. :geek:

Do the "public" chargers that have a tethered lead, also have a socket for the lead I have been advised to get then. It's very confusing to a new user. Just imagine if all the EV manufacturers had got their heads together and all the charge sockets and leads had been universal, that would have saved a great deal of hassle. Bet the bloody EU had a hand in this debacle.

Angel.

Angelfire said:
Do the "public" chargers that have a tethered lead, also have a socket for the lead I have been advised to get then.
No, not to my knowledge, and certainly not any of those operated by Ecotricity.
The whole idea of a rapid charger is that you're all done in about 30 minutes. The last thing the operators would want is a car plugged up to a type 2 socket and hogging the charger for a couple of hours while they charge 'normally'.

Err I don't think anyone has answered your query properly. Are you saying that the tethered leads won't fit either of the sockets on your car? If not then I assume it is another type not designed for our car e.g. CCS Combo, as at Dartford Crossing. I see Zap Map shows a few of these in Scotland plus the Commando type used by caravanners(?)

He already said the cables had Mennekes connectors. These are the ones used by Opel, Volvo, BMW, ... The same type of plug (type 2) that normally goes into the untethered charge point.

You would need this (sorry for this being a Dutch site):

http://www.delaadkabelshop.nl/ratio-kabel-adapter-type-2-male-type-1-female-2-me.html

Angelfire said:
Just had my Outlander PHEV for a couple of weeks now, and quite enjoying it. But and it's a big but, just been to Scotland for a weeks holls and to my dismay almost all the charging points I tried to access were of the Type 2 Mennekes with a tethered cable. I assume these are unusable for the Outlander PHEV. We had to charge by the three pin plug in our cottage, or the on board charging system, which obviously uses petrol. Or have I been doing something wrong as a new PHEV owner. Any help/replies will be appreciated.

Angel.

do you have any location details for the chargers you attempted to use?

Not being rude but do you realise that your outlander will accept two different types of charge cable?

anko said:
duplo said:
Not being rude but do you realise that your outlander will accept two different types of charge cable?
That may be. But Mennekes Type 2 , as Angel has encountered, is not one of them.

I appreciate that, I'm just trying to elicit more information from him in an attempt to help.

duplo said:
Angelfire said:

Angel.

do you have any location details for the chargers you attempted to use?

No offence taken. I am still learning about the "public" charging facilities, so my questions are very amateurish I suppose.

Here is the info I have gleaned from the Zap Map site. My Outlander (are they all the same) is the basic model. It has the Type one 5 pole plug and the fast charge 4 pole CHAdeMO plug. While up on the Borders last week there were plenty of charging points available, but many of them were the Type two 7 pole mennekes plug. In my naivety I thought there was an adaptor/new cable that allowed my Type one to connect to a Type two mennekes tethered plug. I know now I obviously got that one wrong.

Thank you all for your replies, they are very much appreciated.

Angelfire.

Angelfire said:
In my naivety I thought there was an adaptor/new cable that allowed my Type one to connect to a Type two mennekes tethered plug. I know now I obviously got that one wrong.
Why would you have that wrong wrong? Like I wrote yesterday:
anko said:
You would need this (sorry for this being a Dutch site):

http://www.delaadkabelshop.nl/ratio-kabel-adapter-type-2-male-type-1-female-2-me.html
Adapters like this must be available in the UK as well, I presume.

Angelfire said:
Bet the bloody EU had a hand in this debacle.

Angel.
If that were the case there would be a directive to homologize connectors. As it is this problem exists mainly in the UK, virtually all public chargers on the continent being of the Mennekes type 1-type 2 variety. It is more like individual Britons doing their own thing, like Gallons, Miles and driving on the wrong side of the road...:D :D

It won't be a problem for long Jaapv - a new EU Directive has been introduced to make the UK roads left hand drive. It is a massive project so will be introduced in 3 phases. In the first month all the traffic signs will be reversed. In month two all lorries, busses and coaches will start driving on the left. In the last month, all other road users will swap over....

:lol: :lol: :lol:

jaapv said:
Angelfire said:
Bet the bloody EU had a hand in this debacle.

Angel.
If that were the case there would be a directive to homologize connectors. As it is this problem exists mainly in the UK, virtually all public chargers on the continent being of the Mennekes type 1-type 2 variety. It is more like individual Britons doing their own thing, like Gallons, Miles and driving on the wrong side of the road...:D :D

I thought I had read that the EU had issued a provisional directive against ChaDeMo - anyone else heard about that?

P.S. Found it:

http://www.plugincars.com/european-parliament-mulling-legislation-would-terminate-chademo-127927.html

CHAdeMO is now OK, there was a further EU clarification. I haven't got the reference but can find it if required.

Back