Charging not working

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simonrh

Righto, car just delivered.

Connected to wall charger with type 1 to type 2 cable from rolec. 16A wall unit

Light on wall unit has gone blue.

Car tells me it is connected to charging point.

After over an hour the battery meter in both the car and the app still shows 1 blue bar.

Checked there are no timers set in app and they all show off.

Am i missing somethign or should it not now be about 1/3rd full?

If the car is charging there should be a solid red charging symbol on the dash display.

Being a Rolec unit you should have a separate digital meter somewhere. Does that show any usage?

The Rolec unit is at work and not provided free byt the government so it isn't metered.

I will go and have a look at the dash again.

I presume the bars should come up fairly linearly over the 3 hours or so it will need to charge?

OK, so tried the mitsubishi cable that came with the car.

That all works fine.

Tried my type 1 to type 2 cable on the rolec unit and the red light on the dash flashes but then goes out.

The blue light on the rolec unit goes from flashing to solid blue but i dont know if it should change colour to something else?

simonrh said:
Righto, car just delivered.
Connected to wall charger with type 1 to type 2 cable from rolec. 16A wall unit
Light on wall unit has gone blue.
Car tells me it is connected to charging point.
After over an hour the battery meter in both the car and the app still shows 1 blue bar.
Checked there are no timers set in app and they all show off.
Am i missing somethign or should it not now be about 1/3rd full?

How does the car tell you it is connected?
Have you checked on MMCS that no timers are set? It is possible, I think, for the app to show no timers set but if this hasn't been 'sent' to the car, then there may still be timers working (although if it's new there shouldn't be).
Yes charging is pretty linear at the start so you should see a second bar after 15-20 minutes.

Sorry posts crossed. Clearly not a timer issue. Looks like a problem with the Rolec unit. Can you try your type 2 to type 1 cable at a public charge point? Do you have the necessary card/app?

I am just going to take the cable home where I do have a government installed point and try the cable in that.

If that doesn't work then there is something up with the cable.

If it does work then there is something wrong with the Rolec unit at work.

simonrh said:
I am just going to take the cable home where I do have a government installed point and try the cable in that.

If that doesn't work then there is something up with the cable.

If it does work then there is something wrong with the Rolec unit at work.

That's what I'd do :lol: . Let us know how you get on!

No dice at home either.

Bit of homework suggests I have the same problem as nernm in this post.?
http://www.myoutlanderphev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=13252

simonrh said:
No dice at home either.

I've read that post and tbh I'm not sure I understand what was wrong! Was he trying to plug the type 2 end into a tethered cable rather than a type 2 socket? Sorry if I'm being thick...

jdsx said:
simonrh said:
No dice at home either.

I've read that post and tbh I'm not sure I understand what was wrong! Was he trying to plug the type 2 end into a tethered cable rather than a type 2 socket? Sorry if I'm being thick...

Yes, you are correct. My major error was to plug into a tethered cable (home charger and some public chargers), rather than a socket.

With a socket, your type 2 plug should insert right up to the shoulder. Then it should work okay.
With tethered cables I could insert the plug but it would not go in fully, right up to the shoulder. Hence it would not work as the crucial recessed pin, I guess was not making contact, therefore the charger and the car couldn't "talk" to each other.

The charger only goes "live" once it has "spoken" to the car and had the correct response.

nernm said:
jdsx said:
simonrh said:
No dice at home either.

Yes, you are correct. My major error was to plug into a tethered cable (home charger and some public chargers), rather than a socket.

With a socket, your type 2 plug should insert right up to the shoulder. Then it should work okay.
With tethered cables I could insert the plug but it would not go in fully, right up to the shoulder. Hence it would not work as the crucial recessed pin, I guess was not making contact, therefore the charger and the car couldn't "talk" to each other.

The charger only goes "live" once it has "spoken" to the car and had the correct response.

Ah ok - I never even thought about that being the reason.... :shock: don't imagine that helps simonrh though.....

The car side plug has a a microswitch to connect the signal lead. In practice I find these have a very short travel, making the seating of the plug a bit finicky. It really must go in all the way.

I figured I would try to plug / unplug several times just now but nothing either.

Tried trigger connect, dont hold trigger connect.

In out sideways.

Nothing.

I am just going to check the continuity from end to end on th cable and see if it is actually just broken.

simonrh said:
I figured I would try to plug / unplug several times just now but nothing either.
Tried trigger connect, dont hold trigger connect.
In out sideways.
Nothing.
I am just going to check the continuity from end to end on the cable and see if it is actually just broken.

Where are you simonrh? Maybe someone else on the forum could help you out with another cable? Or you could try a more general EV forum like speakev.com maybe?

I am in Buckden cambs and work in Kempston beds.

Tried a high street charging point which does the same thing.

Taken it back to dealer who actually see to know very little about them and don't even have their own charging point. They obviously don't believe there is anything wrong with the car.

I checked the cable with a multimeter.
All connections look to work OK. The switch connects 150 or 480 ohms to ground on "pp" ( I think it was)

The cable mesaures out fine, the only thing I can find that I can think might cause problems is that the cable has a 220 ohm resistor at the type 2 end between pp and pe.

This denotes it as a 32A cable. A 16A cable has a 680 ohm resistor.

Does the "negotiation" between car and charger mean that the outlander will happily charge off a 32A cable by only pulling 16A anyway.

Or will it only charge off a 16A cable full stop?

Back