Charging on the move!

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharky

I've had a quick look for this topic previously and cannot see one covering my question.

I use the charge button often when doing long motorway journeys (I'm not paying for the fuel) and have noticed how quick it can charge to 80% even from empty. My question is; is this akin to quick charging, from say a service station quick charger? and if this is the case should I / we use it often, if we are lead to believe this is not good for the batteries?

And before anyone asks I have looked at the difference between fuel consumption with it on charge and off charge and there seems to be little difference above 70mph.

I don't think it is anything like rapid charging - that pushes power into the battery at rates of 70 amps or more. As far as I can see, the charge button simply raises the target state of charge to 80% from its default 20% - it does not increase the rate of charge at all.

Chademo (50 A max) can raise the SOC from 30 % to 80 % in 30'
The Charge mode can only do that in 45' (car not moving).

Grigou said:

Is that 50A the maximum that an Outlander will accept from a ChaDeMo? I've certainly seen other EVs taking 70A and more from an EcoTricity point.

maby said:
Grigou said:

Is that 50A the maximum that an Outlander will accept from a ChaDeMo? I've certainly seen other EVs taking 70A and more from an EcoTricity point.

Yes, I've seen a Renault or Nissan (not sure) charging at 80 A or more, but the Outlander doesn't exceed 50 A

The ChaDemo and other rapid chargers make a direct connection to the battery. The charging rate is dependent on the load the battery presents, and the 50A max the PHEV can take is related to the size of the battery in the PHEV compared to say the LEAF.

Forum member TREX, uses a charge mode - battery mode operation and it will be useful to see how the battery life compares to users of save mode and EV series hybrid. Battery life is related to battery current and number and depth of cycles.

I suspect that the stresses placed on the battery following a long period of regen while towing on a steep downhill grade will be at least as damaging as some recharging on a fast charger.

I try and avoid habit driving and operate the buttons to achieve a battery level needed for the next 20-50km. Just wish there was some sticky settings so the car remembered a bit more between drives. Is a bit like a manual car with having to be in the right gear, but instead have to have the right buttons pressed, and instead of instant use, prediction is required. This is a FEATURE of the PHEV. Will assist in dementure avoidance and we will thank Mitsubishi in later life.

Back