charging schemes uk

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wilksphev

hi
i have just ordered a outlander phev and hopefuly will be delivered in the next few weeks. i am now wanting to get to grips with public charging options. i have an ecoteicity card from a previous rental of a phev. i live in the source east network (cambridge) but this is where it gets confusing.

i can sign up with source east and get access to their points, and also source london and plug in midlands schemes. however some plug in midlands ones are moving ti charge your car scheme. i could also sign up to a podpoint card which would (i think) get me access to all podpoints nationwide. but some in birmingham use other chargers.

am i right in thinking that this is as complicated as it seems and a source east one would most likely do for me most of the time in cambridge area?

any advice welcome

I think you are absolutely correct - the public charging network in the UK is currently very fragmented and disorganised. I guess there will be a big shake-out at sometime in the future with some going out of business and others consolidating, but at the moment you do have to carry quite a few cards if you want to charge regularly on the road.

I have a few cards, but have only ever used the rapid Ecotricity ones at Cambridge services, (charge to 80% in about 20mins, just enough time to get a coffee!)

I wouldn't pay for any cards, now I realise I don't use the ones I have paid for!

Unless you don't mind hanging around I can't see the point of slow and or fast charges, just to go 30'ish miles.

Things may all change when 'eco' start charging of course.

Can anyone tell me if the Source East chargers around Cambridge have tethered cables or do you need to bring your own? The cost of a cable is a severe deterrent to an occasional visitor like me.

rgilyead said:
Can anyone tell me if the Source East chargers around Cambridge have tethered cables or do you need to bring your own? The cost of a cable is a severe deterrent to an occasional visitor like me.

All ChaDeMo rapid chargers are tethered. Most, if not all, fast chargers are not and you will need your own cable.

Back