Competitors?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greendwarf

Received a flyer today for the new Lexus NX - "The first full hybrid drivetrain in a compact SUV."?

Quote from the Autoexpress review "the Lexus’ ability to travel one mile at up to 30mph on electric power looks a little old hat compared to more modern plug-in hybrid models." :lol: and it costs more :lol: and doesn't have the tax advantages :lol: etc. etc.

Read more: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/lexus/nx#ixzz3JAEFVw4F

The Lexus will be based on the Prius drivetrain and the objectives are different. It makes no attempt at significant EV range, but its hybrid operation (equivalent to serial/parallel hybrid in the Outlander) is a lot more sophisticated - it is not going to compete with the Outlander PHEV for users driving 20 or 30 miles per day, but will probably outperform the PHEV for users frequently driving a hundred miles or more without the ability to charge.

If the tax breaks had been available on the Lexus, I would have seriously considered it.

greendwarf said:
Received a flyer today for the new Lexus NX - "The first full hybrid drivetrain in a compact SUV."?

Quote from the Autoexpress review "the Lexus’ ability to travel one mile at up to 30mph on electric power looks a little old hat compared to more modern plug-in hybrid models." :lol: and it costs more :lol: and doesn't have the tax advantages :lol: etc. etc.

Well, the Outlander is not really a compact SUV.

I considered the NX as it is a very distinctive, luxury vehicle. The quality of the interior, in particular, puts the PHEV to shame. However, it is not a true competitor as it is not a plug-in hybrid and therefore (in the UK at least) doesn't attract the government's £5k grant. This makes it a very expensive alternative and really swung the balance as far as I was concerned.

jaapv said:
greendwarf said:

Well, the Outlander is not really a compact SUV.

And the difference is? the PHEV is slightly narrower (45mm) higher (35) & longer (25) but also is the NX an SUV? - there is no mention, that I can find, in the specs of carrying capacity, fold down seats etc. - it appears to be a "cross over", if anything.

MHS said:
One mile electric range?

Just enough for it to get from home to a petrol station then?

It's a hybrid, not an EV - range on electricity is not mandatory.

Back