Couldn't pull away and charger cable problem

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IainG

I pushed the accelerator last week to drive off and the car wouldn't move forward... reversed a little to check brakes hadn’t stuck on and wheels moved no problem. Back into drive and simply didn’t have any power to pull away. Could feel a slight pull as though it was getting to bite point but no forward movement other than a cm or so. My driveway is on a bit of an incline but nothing too steep. Had a full car of passengers and boot full of luggage as going to airport. It was in normal mode and I tried powering off and on as well as using the 4wd button but no difference. Got the passengers to get out and only by one of them pushing did I start to move. Once moving a little it pulled away ok so stopped on the flat and passengers got back in and away we went. At the time I didn’t think to try using the save or charge buttons to force petrol engine, never used them but will try if it happens again. After coming back from the airport I put it on my home charger and it kept flashing between charging and fault about 5 times then stayed on flashing charge indicating charging had completed even though the battery was drained... not sure if this is related or not, a drained battery shouldn’t have prevented the car from pulling away.

The next day I checked the charger and on connecting to the car it immediately went to solid red fault. In the light of day I discovered several cuts in the charger cable which I believe was either rabbit or rodent bites… we live in the Western Isles out in the country where there are loads and it’s not the first time cables have been damaged in this way. After stripping the insulation from the damaged areas I could see that of the 4 wires the thinner blue wire (presumably a signal wire for the car to tell the charger whether to keep charging or not?) had been almost if not completely severed with the insulation on the live, neutral and earth damaged. I cut out the damaged parts, reconnected with electrical connectors wrapped in electrical tape and water proofed with self-amalgamating rubber tape and the charger works fine again. At up to £500 for a new charger I’m in no hurry to replace it, it was supplied with the car from the dealer and says Yazaki model no. 9482A134 on it.

Anyway, I guess my question is could the damaged charger perhaps have fooled the car into thinking it was charged and therefore caused the car not to be able to pull away using the flat battery or is it just really bad at pulling away on an incline with a full load? I’ve not had a repeat of this but then I’ve not had as much weight in the car since. Anyone else experienced similar issues?

I have been able to pull away from standstill on a 16% (1:6) slope several times in a short timespan. This was while towing a 1500 kg caravan with 4 adults in the car. I don't know how steep your driveway is, but I would say, normally you should be fine.

This sounds like the damaged cable had a short that either drained the battery below 25% or messed up the software (hopefully temporarily). I'd have the car checked out in any case, including a battery condition report.

Just measured the drive and it is only 1:10. The battery would have been flat (25%) and it had been sitting for a few days, like you suggest if the cable caused a short it could have been lower - is this what people refer to as turtle mode? Since fixing the cable I've had no charging or pulling away issues so if the software did glitch it seems it was just temporary. Its booked in for a service in April so will ask them to check it out.

Back