Dash Cam fitting -easy!

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gobiman

For info, I've just fitted a dash cam easily and neatly to my Outlander. I've gone for the Transcend DrivePro which gets good reviews, doesn't have GPS (which I don't want/need) and is under £100.
Fitted it with the supplied stick-on mount and it fits very neatly to the left of the mirror (RHD) with the mounting stuck on the bobbly bit of the windscreen (which doesn't take a suction pad - I bought one as well!!). This position gives a good central view of the road ahead, can be operated/viewed by a passenger if necessary and, most importantly is out of the driver's line of sight behind the windscreen. It is pretty discreet.
The really pleasing bit is the power lead tucks in behind the roof lining above the mirror to the pillar, tucks in again behind the top of the plastic on the A pillar and then can easily be run down a rubber strip next to the door to then be run under the glove box/mat to the front 12v. It can be done very easily and neatly by someone of limited skills (me!) as I don't like dangling wires. I only used a couple of small pieces of masking tape under the glove box.
The wiring route should work for any dash cam (with a long lead - I had a bit of slack under the glove box) as should the positioning opposite the mirror mounting.

Interesting, have been looking for one of these for a while. Take it switches on and off automatically in the phev? The socket in my current soon to be replaced ford cmax manages to stay on all the time so would have to have removed it every time I parked!

Hi,

I'm not the OP but I have fitted a Roadhawk HD Dashcam which I had used in my previous car. I have a hardwired cable for it which I will get fitted by an auto electrician when I have decided where my phone will go as that will also have a hardwired power cable (hate cables showing!).

The flash is on so the Roadhawk stands out more than normal. When viewing from the outside it is only visible when you actually look for it.

Click on the thumbnails for larger pictures.

Kind regards,
Mark

Hi
Picture and video quality are pretty good. It also has a GPS and saves recordings when it detects a bump or you press a button. If you Google for it there are sample videos on their site. It is a little pricy, I think it was about £270. When I researched them about 18 months ago I decided it was probably the best available but things may have changed since then.
Kind regards
Mark

Forgive my ignorance; it sounds interesting and I'm intrigued, but why would you want a dash-cam? If there are some good reasons that I haven't considered I might get one too! :D

Mainly to protect you in the event of an accident or to record others reckless driving (again for self protection reasons), but secondly because they can be fun to watch or capture a particularly nice route you happen to drive

Apologies - been abroad.
Will get some fots up.
Aim of the e-mail was to point out that it is easy to route the charging cable from above the rear view mirror to the front 12V socket - particularly for someone like me who doesn't like loose cables but is not very good at mods.

I agree, having a dash cam installed can save you a lot and it can also be use as a evidence in case of accident or emergency.

Unfortunately this one didn't work properly. Great video quality but the time/date stamp wasn't retained on switching off.
I gather it is a common fault as no internal battery but should at least last a few days.
Just taken it out of the car and sent to Amazon returns for a replacement.
Will update (with pics!!) when I get replacement.

Back