Dash Camera

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaboom

Hi All,

As drivers of cars with regen-braking, when buying a dash cam should we get one with a rear facing camera and if so, presumably there isn't one that detects if our brake lights are on at the time of a rear-ender - or is there?! ...and is this important?

I have forward and rearward facing dash cams in my car and I would not be without them.

Regarding if they can see your brake lights, unless you have one fitted outside the rear and looking forward I don't think any camera will see them. The other way would be to use the brake light feed wire to trigger the camera feed, but I think the delay with the camera powering up would be too long.

With regen and no brake lights there is a problem with someone running into you BUT only if they are driving too close.

NOT YOUR FAULT, but no one wants their car rear ended regardless of who is to blame.

You could also get the old sticker - If I STOP, can YOU ?

Or, You're close enough.... So smile for the CAMERA!!' :twisted:

What camera are you using Terry anyway?

Since ordering our PHEV, I want a 'dual' dash cam for it too but not sure which to go for.....?

Goldfinger said:
Or, You're close enough.... So smile for the CAMERA!!' :twisted:

What camera are you using Terry anyway?

Since ordering our PHEV, I want a 'dual' dash cam for it too but not sure which to go for.....?

I am using 2 x Mini 0803 cameras, both with GPS.

Great little units. There is a newer model now, the mini 0806.

https://www.joovuu.com/gb/home/106-mini-0803.html

Got an 0806 on order with dedicated wiring, anyone know if there's access (simple) to a fused "ignition" live inside
the car?

Cheers

Chris

I originally intended to hard wire mine in but in the end I did as many others have done - use the ciggy lighter socket and hide the wire in the roof trim and under the glove box. The end result is very neat and discrete.

Lyra252 said:
Got an 0806 on order with dedicated wiring, anyone know if there's access (simple) to a fused "ignition" live insice the car?
I had mine installed by an autoelectricien. He ran the hard wired kit to the back of the 12v lighter socket below the dash.
Kind regards,
Mark

Hi,

Just to add that I also got him to wire in a hard wired twin USB connector, one goes to my phone and the other is spare until I find something to plug in. The space behind the socket is easily accessible.

Kind regards,
mark

Hi

What viewing software are folks using preferably free if possible for either Windows or Android?

Cheers

Chris

Lyra252 said:
Hi

What viewing software are folks using preferably free if possible for either Windows or Android?

Cheers

Chris
I use the software that came packaged with the camera (Nextbase 402g). It shows where you were on a map, g-forces, and speed, as well as the footage. Don't all cameras come with included software viewers?

Has anybody thought about the possibility of the stored footage being requisitioned by the police and being used against you in law or by the insurer?

jaapv said:
Has anybody thought about the possibility of the stored footage being requisitioned by the police and being used against you in law or by the insurer?

The idea is you can use it in case of an accident with no witnesses, eg someone pulling in front of you, braking and claiming whiplash when you rear end them!

Just type dash cam into Youtube and you will see how usefull they can be.

The camera also auto activates when parked, could be useful if someone supermarkets you and drives off.

Long gone the days when you got an apologetic note and phone number under your wiper!.

Cheers

Chris

Yep, but when it is the other way around and the mistake is yours? A super-quick swallowing of the SD card?

This exact point was discussed on Radio 4 (yesterday I think it was) - apparently the police in the UK would need a court order to compel you to pass over the footage. In general if the camera is yours, the footage is yours to provide when YOU want to.
Apparently a couple of UK insurers offer a discount if you have one - not sure which ones though.
Cheers
H

Lyra252 said:
Hi

Cheers

Chris

I use Registrator viewer. Free for Windows, and has GPS location map if you have a camera so equipped.

http://www.registratorviewer.com/index_en.html

jaapv said:
Yep, but when it is the other way around and the mistake is yours? A super-quick swallowing of the SD card?

It would be interesting watching that video in court when the other driver plays back his dashcam footage of you swallowing an SD card. :eek:

Back