Deprioritise Wifi

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Memeny

Hi
Anyone out there found a fix that stops the phone from connecting to the cars WiFi when you don't want it to?

The issue I have is my phone has WiFi permanently enabled so when I'm at home it usually connects to the house WiFi.
Then when I get in the car it then picks up car wifi, which means I cannot connect to 3G/4G. This is important for me because I use spotify and Google maps frequently, and I therefore have to completely switch off WiFi on the phone when in the car and remember to turn it back on when I get home or at the office.

Thanks!

In that case ...

Connect to the REMOTE network and note down the iPhone address and subnet mask. Then change settings from DHCP to fixed configuration and re-enter the iPhone address and subnet mask. Leave router and dns addresses blank.

After doing so, the phone will still connect but will continue to use 3g/4g for communications.

anko said:
In that case ...

Connect to the REMOTE network and note down the iPhone address and subnet mask. Then change settings from DHCP to fixed configuration and re-enter the iPhone address and subnet mask. Leave router and dns addresses blank.

After doing so, the phone will still connect but will continue to use 3g/4g for communications.

It worked! THANKS!!!!!

angelica02 said:
can you also do that in an android phone particularly
Samsung s6 edge?
thanks
Try this. I think it will solve what you are after. I have used for say 2 years and it works just fine. http://www.myoutlanderphev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=19277#p19277

I'm obviously missing/misunderstood something. My Android phone (Nexus 6) connects to the car WiFi, recognises (and gives me a warning) that there's no Internet connection, and then continues to use the mobile data network. It runs 6.0.1 (although I'm due a nougat update), as (I assume) should a S6 Edge. I've not installed anything extra to achieve this.

ChrisMiller said:
I'm obviously missing/misunderstood something. My Android phone (Nexus 6) connects to the car WiFi, recognises (and gives me a warning) that there's no Internet connection, and then continues to use the mobile data network. It runs 6.0.1 (although I'm due a nougat update), as (I assume) should a S6 Edge. I've not installed anything extra to achieve this.

Seems to be an Apple inadequacy, I have a Wileyfox Swift that runs Android Cyanogen 13.x and works perfectly. My old Samsung S3 also worked fine with the car.

My iPhone 4 (now retired) showed the same traits as above so didn't bother connecting my new iPhone SE to the car WIFI on account of this and also the wife wants to connect her Android phone so she can run a impromptu pre-condition (heat/cool) as the MMCS' schedule can only do a single pre-condition per day. And you can only connect 2 phones. To add, who on earth uses a car just once a day? For most folks, they've got to get somewhere, then get back again!

As a nice side effect the iPhone SE connects via Bluetooth, and remembers where I parked. Could have done with that when I got lost in Leighton Buzzard a few weekends ago.

Sorry slightly off topic, rant over :D

I used to have an iPhone 5s. With that, I was able to use 3G/4G, even while connected to the REMOTE network, as long as I had first removed the DNS and router addresses.

Today I have an S7 Edge. It refuses to use 3G/4G when connected to the REMOTE network and at the same time, it does not allow me to remove DNS and router addresses. I was in a much better shape with the iPhone than I am now with the Edge.

Samsung make really nice hardware, but their software is rubbish, and their updates to Android very slow in coming (if ever). So I now avoid them. If you're happy to have Google snoop on your every move (I am :)) then a Nexus is the way to go. If not - get something that will run Cyanogen (but some geeky skills will probably be helpful).

Back