Do I need to plug it in?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wheelnut

Apologies for the newbie question. I am thinking of getting a PHEV Gx4 as it will save me around £200 per month in company car tax.

My ignorant question is this. Must I plug it in to charge or will any regenerative charging help the fuel consumption?
What is the range on the petrol tank if not plugging in.

I know this may miss the point rather, but I can't see me plugging it in that often.

Well, it IS a plug-in hybrid, the whole concept is geared that way. Would a regular hybrid not be a more logical choice? Or if it must be a plugin taxwise, a car that is less emphatically an EV like the Volvo D60 plugin or the Golf GTE?
The Mitsubishi is not a frugal car when run on petrol.

The short answer is no.
I love the car as a vehicle to drive, although I bought it as I was looking for a plug-in hybrid as a lot of my journeys are short and about town. 8 or 10 miles.

My average for petrol consumption is about 40 mpg. The tank holds 45 litres ( 9 gallons) which makes a range of 360 miles.

It is much quieter than diesel.
In stop start traffic the engine won't normally be running and the electric motor(s) is (are) nice and smooth and quiet with instant torque .

Diesels are now being rubbished for the emissions of oxides of nitrogen as well as particulates. You may be aware of the problems of DPF (diesel particulate filters) clogging.

More stringent requirements probably on the horizon.

I believe the Toyota Prius is now becoming one of the most popular vehicle for Taxis.

In Glasgow City centre (and maybe elsewhere), free parking when charging for free. No London congestion charge.

Lots of work places installing charging points, especially Councils.

Motorway service centres have charging points where you can charge up to 80% in half an hour, for free. That's 20/30 miles of free motoring.

4WD for snowy/icy weather

Disconnected ramblings I agree. If you fancy the idea, go for it!

Wheelnut said:
I know this may miss the point rather, but I can't see me plugging it in that often.
Might I ask why would you NOT want to plug it in? Or is it not practical for some reason? What will your typical journey be? This will help us give you more assistance. Even running on petrol, some regen will of course help, but it'll be marginal. And the manual does make a point of giving it a full charge every two weeks.

Edit: Excuse my manners - welcome to the forum! :oops:

Back