Ecotricity - Rapid Charge

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

06blade

Twice I've used the Ecotricity Rapid Charge at Bolton services. On both occasions I've had major trouble taking out the cable from the car.
The first time I had to ring the Mrs to get her to 'google' it for me.

Ended up pulling back some grey plastic slider, then pushing down on the trigger/handle, whilst at the same time pulling the cable from the car. I'm a bit reluctant to try this for a third time, as I feel that next time I'll take some of the car with me when pulling the cable. :D

Is this normal for the Rapid Charge?

Ecotricity have a video on their web site on how to do it.

I struggled the first time and find all those seemingly useless buttons very frustrating. Not well lit at night either. very poor design IMHO.

Obviously not designed with the consumer in mind!

06blade said:
Twice I've used the Ecotricity Rapid Charge at Bolton services. On both occasions I've had major trouble taking out the cable from the car.
The first time I had to ring the Mrs to get her to 'google' it for me.

Ended up pulling back some grey plastic slider, then pushing down on the trigger/handle, whilst at the same time pulling the cable from the car. I'm a bit reluctant to try this for a third time, as I feel that next time I'll take some of the car with me when pulling the cable. :D

Is this normal for the Rapid Charge?

No that is about right, does feel a bit drastic extracting though. At some stations they have a newer style that are much better, I believe to be phased in. No levers, just as big silver plug and one button. Goes in and out easy.

I've had similar problems, especially with the trigger lock underneath needing to be slid back. However, when I used the one at Dartford Services at the weekend I found following the instructions on screen meant I was OK. I haven't used one for about 6 months, so doing this rather than relying on intuition or memory helped. :oops:

I have a similar story...

First rapid charge at Durham services.

Connector went on and then the system failed to initialise. I panicked there and then that I may have had a broken car.... ( I had never done it before).

I chose to reseat the connector and away we went... I relaxed and got a coffee.

I come out to the car all charged... Now how does this come off, it isn't the trigger that you would expect.

Quick check on the website and away the plug came.

The instructions you say are correct, to remove leave the trigger alone... Pull back the grey sleeve and press the button on the top and away the cable will come.

I tried a second charge on the way home at weatherby services, this is the new connector. Slides on great and a simple push of a button to release.

Keep at it. I work just south of Bolton services... I could nip past and give it a go.

Got the hang of it now, just seems so opposite to all the other set-ups.

on a side issue, Bolton North services just seems to fail initialising all the time, South bound is ok but most times seems to have a Nissan leaf with a miserable guy reading a newspaper

06blade said:
Got the hang of it now, just seems so opposite to all the other set-ups.

on a side issue, Bolton North services just seems to fail initialising all the time, South bound is ok but most times seems to have a Nissan leaf with a miserable guy reading a newspaper

Bolton north shows as offline on their map so suspect there is a problem with it.

Back