electric v petrol

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sipaldi

So my 2019 2.4 Phev has a 13.8kw battery. My electricity is going up to 51.33p per unit as of 1st October EDF (not including the standing charge). Unleaded is around £7.50 gallon. Are my sums correct that It will now cost over £7 to put a full charge in for a realistic 25 miles? Are we now better to leave the electric motors and go back to fossil fuel with our PHEV's? I can get maybe mid 30's from a gallon of petrol.

Thoughts?

Well - for a start the new PM seems to be going to freeze the price cap on electricity - not sure she can say that for petrol.

Secondly are you on the lowest tariff with EDF? ECO2020 with its "cheap" rate late evening and weekends could work out cheaper, as could their similar EV tariff but both of these attract a higher Standing Charge.

But, either way, it is likely to be marginal! It depends on how you use your 25+ EV miles. At higher speed then petrol will be cheaper, whereas crawling in traffic jams using just the ICE is likely to seriously ruin your consumption. When I last had the enforced burning off of petrol during lockdown, I was only getting 12 to the gallon around Sarf Lundun. :eek:

Yep, its all dependant on the possibility of a cap on electricity for me now. If not I may as well forget plugging it in. I live in a hilly area and it chomps through the electric charge so I never get a good return. Never thought I would be better filling with petrol than plugging in when I purchased it. Ridiculous.
I always tend to hit the save or charge button above 43mph when I feel the direct drive kick in. I always use the paddles to slow the vehicle on longer descents. Travelling around town or passing through villages always electric.

I feel the PHEV is a burden now due to the forecasted rise in electricity come October the 1st. I would be much better off with a big diesel engine now. It wasn't a smart choice after all........

Well we will wait and see what Truss comes up with I suppose.

Back