Electronic Parking Brake: Why?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidWolfy

Why does the PHEV have both an electronic parking brake and the manual one? Are both necessary and why, please? Sorry if this is a duff question, but I've always had one or the other.

D

DavidWolfy said:
Why does the PHEV have both an electronic parking brake and the manual one? Are both necessary and why, please? Sorry if this is a duff question, but I've always had one or the other.

D
Hi,
I thought the parking brake (at least on 2WD cars) operated on the front wheels and the hand brake operated the rear wheels. Not sure on the PHEV though so I'd also like to know.
Kind regards,
Mark

I believe the P button is just a mechanical lock in the 'gearbox' like the Park position on a regular auto-transmission. On the PHEV this would only affect the front axle - while handbrake operates the rear axle brakes.
So there is no electronic parking brake (removing the need for a handbrake lever) as such.

The P button does more. It disengages the electric motors, so they will not use power. If you use the mechanical handbrake they will still be powered up and use electricity, straining against the brake.
On a side note:you do not need a handbrake when driving off on an incline. When you release the foot brake the car is locked against rolling backwards for two seconds. (provided you are in Drive) the other way around for reverse, obviously.

Thanks both.

It's a shame Mitsubishi didn't include an electronic brake that engages the brakes and disengages the motor when the car is stationary and foot brake applied. The handbrake would engage automatically when the engine is switched off. Mind you, a manual handbrake is not a big issue.

So should the 'P' be pushed if one is stationary for an extended period? Will the electric motors automatically kick in when the excelerator is depressed?

D

DavidWolfy said:
Thanks both.

It's a shame Mitsubishi didn't include an electronic brake that engages the brakes and disengages the motor when the car is stationary and foot brake applied. The handbrake would engage automatically when the engine is switched off. Mind you, a manual handbrake is not a big issue.

So should the 'P' be pushed if one is stationary for an extended period? Will the electric motors automatically kick in when the excelerator is depressed?

D

Seems to me that you need a manual handbrake as a backstop against major systems failure. Don't forget that these cars are complex computers and there have been a few reports of the control systems going seriously AWOL. If you are on a hill and the computer decides to shut down, you will be glad of the manual handbrake to stop you rolling away while you wait for the tow truck!

I saw a report that Honda were abandoning production of the Insight - pity. That car was designed to degrade gracefully as the high tech components failed - you could lose the entire hybrid sub-system and still be left with a driveable, but slow car - nice idea!

DavidWolfy said:
Thanks both.

D
No. You have to engage drive before you get moving again.

DavidWolfy said:
I believe electronic handbrakes are seperate systems and not related to the cars computer.

Still dependent on the electrical system of the car - in the event of a serious failure you could find yourself without a handbrake. For the inconvenience of having to pull a lever or push a pedal, I think it is worth it to have the certainty that you will still have some breaking capacity even in the event of a massive system failure.

P is the equivalent for the parking brake on man auto, and the handbrake is exactly that. You don't have to use it, much like in any other car, but for the sake of the gearbox I first put the handbrake on, then engage park. Well truth be told I pull the handbrake and then turn the car off as it puts it in park when you do that anyway.

chindley said:
So if I was sat in traffic the motors would still be using battery power?

If you use the handbrake you will still use power. If you use the footbrake no and yes. Press down firmly will cut the power, press down lightly just to hold creep will still have the motors switched on.

jaapv said:
chindley said:

If you use the handbrake you will still use power. If you use the footbrake no and yes. Press down firmly will cut the power, press down lightly just to hold creep will still have the motors switched on.

Oh bugger! My pet hate is people using their foot brake when stopped in traffic. I have always applied the handbrake when stationary - like I was taught almost 50 years ago, don't think I'll be able to change the habit of a lifetime (even if I am the only person in the world still doing it!) Is it too late to cancel my order? :lol:

greendwarf said:
jaapv said:
chindley said:

Oh bugger! My pet hate is people using their foot brake when stopped in traffic. I have always applied the handbrake when stationary - like I was taught almost 50 years ago, don't think I'll be able to change the habit of a lifetime (even if I am the only person in the world still doing it!) Is it too late to cancel my order? :lol:

That was my pet hate also when I drove a manual car. Since going automatic, I have joined the crowd and hold with footbrake not handbrake :(

Kind regards,
Mark

avensys said:
greendwarf said:
jaapv said:

That was my pet hate also when I drove a manual car. Since going automatic, I have joined the crowd and hold with footbrake not handbrake :(

Kind regards,
Mark

I blame the MOT. I grew up in an era when one pressed the footbrake experimentally and always felt a flood of relief when it worked! I always use all available brakes...

There were MOTs when I first started driving, but taking the car along was optional. Our local tester was very thorough - he would always ask if the car was alright before he stamped and signed the certificate.

I blame the MOT. I grew up in an era when one pressed the footbrake experimentally and always felt a flood of relief when it worked! I always use all available brakes...

There were MOTs when I first started driving, but taking the car along was optional. Our local tester was very thorough - he would always ask if the car was alright before he stamped and signed the certificate.[/quote]

Brilliant! :lol:

greendwarf said:
jaapv said:
chindley said:

@maby I do the same and use the handbrake for one very good reason, it means my right foot is on the accelerator (gas) pedal and I can get off quicker!

Back