european road trip - is it worth charging?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tweeds

In the autumn we're driving from the UK to Sardinia for a windsurfing event. Is it worth trying to charge at motorway services on the way, or would it require such a plethora of cards that it would be a pain to plan? Is there much free charging on the continent?

I'd only be looking to charge when we take natural breaks to mitigate the fuel economy a bit - I know the trip will be mostly on petrol.

A. Fast charging is expensive on the Continent and finding stations is rather difficult.
B. Most hotels and other venues will let you charge for a nominal charge or for free.
C. One of the very few cards that facilitate roaming is the LoveToLoad card by TheNewMotion.

Have a look at chargemap.com (there is also an app for smartphone).

In France you can find ChaDeMo plugs in some Ikea stores, and many (or all ?) are free. But for now, I think that it's better to forget the idea of charging on motorways ... :oops:

Most public charge points will need a type 2 cable, some private ones will be Schuko. Adapters are widely available and not fused.

Charging along the motorway is an expensive hobby. I do not know about France, but in Holland the basic price is 0.83 Euro per KWH. (Registration and app needed). With the standard subscription this will drop to 12 Euro a month and 0.35 Euro a kWH. Of inteest only for Leaf and Tesla drivers, who don't have a choice.

Back