EV cruising range

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The technician just told me that "the battery was ok" - no further details except that to expect a reduction in range during colder weather. Yes, I should have pressed him further.

From the responses to this thread, and other enquiries, I've begun to realise that my perception of the battery technology for these vehicles was wildly over-optimistic. I really didn't do my homework! Not helped by the manufacturers' literature and the dealers who avoid sharing any information about the limitations of these batteries. I probably should have waited five years to see whether the technology improves before taking the plunge.

Mea culpa!

A few suggestions:

1) Get a copy of the app "PHEVWatchdog" from Playstore and an OBD11 reader then you can see the performance statistics etc including the SOC and SOH of the battery, there is web site if you search and you can see a video of what it does. You will then be in a position to query any data given by the dealer, there is a better than an even chance they will rubbish "the Dog" and that will tell you immediately what a patronising dealer they are.
2) Go on YouTube and search for UnpluggedEV and see an awful lot of information about "battery degradation" or is it "faulty software" as experienced in Australia.
3) Go on YouTube and search for Gary Reed Unfrequented World and see more on the same subject in Canada.
4) Go on Change.org and look at the petition. https://www.change.org/p/outlander-phev-drivers-around-the-world-mitsubishi-outlander-phev-battery-degradation-acknowledgement-request-to-mitsubishi-japan

I have an 18 reg 4HS in the UK that is losing 0.1AH on a regular basis that I am in the initial stages of querying this with the dealership and also the initial stages of being given the runaround that is routine when dealing with dealerships of most makes about things they don't understand.

In Australia and Canada Andy and Gary have dealers that co-operate with ths user and have both had the three stage procedure carried out on their vehicles which returned the stats to "as new" readings then the "degradation" started again.

Apparently Mitsubishi have told UK dealers they must not carry out this procedure although there is at least one UK user that has had it done.

Mitsubishi are in denial, there is a problem, it looks increasingly that it is software and not hardware but Mitsubishi don't want to know.

I am no expert but common sense tells me there is a problem and that Mitsubishi should face up to their responsibilties before they do serious damage to the reputation of what in many ways is a brilliant bit of engineering.

Back