Fog Lights

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pords

I might be being a bit thick here but I cant seem to turn the front fog lights off. Ive looked in the manual and tried using the left stalk but they stay on. Only had the car 3 days and still finding my way round. Any ideas?

Pords said:
I might be being a bit thick here but I cant seem to turn the front fog lights off. Ive looked in the manual and tried using the left stalk but they stay on. Only had the car 3 days and still finding my way round. Any ideas?

Left stalk, twist away from you once for front fogs on, again for rear fogs on. Twist back towards you once for rear fogs off, again for front fogs off.

bdbdbd said:
You're not confusing them with the daytime running lights are you? They stay on all the time.

Quite possibly now you've mentioned it but leaving inlaws yesterday he Said it was my fogs. Missus has the car so will check when she gets back in. Thanks for replies will try stalk on off also.

Jon

Unlike the main lights - which are on a latching switch - the fog lights are controlled electronically and will not automatically come back on with the car even if they were on when the car was previously powered down - if you see what I mean?

Pords said:
bdbdbd said:
You're not confusing them with the daytime running lights are you? They stay on all the time.

Quite possibly now you've mentioned it but leaving inlaws yesterday he Said it was my fogs. Missus has the car so will check when she gets back in. Thanks for replies will try stalk on off also.

Jon

If you had your dipped headlights on, and your front fogs appeared to be on, they probably were and you switch them on/off using the twisty stalk (and you'll get dash lights indicating if fronts and/or rear fogs are on). Otherwise, if you didn't have dipped beam on and your fogs appeared to be on, it was probably the daytime running lamps (same housing!).

Anyone else notice that when lights are set to auto, and its during the day, it isnt possible to turn on the fog lights? I had to move from auto to on, only then could i turn the front and rear fog lights on.

gazter76 said:
Anyone else notice that when lights are set to auto, and its during the day, it isnt possible to turn on the fog lights? I had to move from auto to on, only then could i turn the front and rear fog lights on.

Nope

(not 'nope I disagree' but 'nope I've not noticed')

gazter76 said:

Which is what it says in the manual. If I recall, it's also illegal to use the fog lights without the headlamps on? I think that's why they're interlinked with the headlamps i.e the headlamps must be on before the fog lights can be operated. If you were on auto, would the fog lights work if the car had turned on the headlamps? I presume they would.

Regulo said:
If I recall, it's also illegal to use the fog lights without the headlamps on? I think that's why they're interlinked with the headlamps i.e the headlamps must be on before the fog lights can be operated.

I seriously hope not :eek: In fog headlights would reflect back at the driver preventing him seeing where he is going. They are specifically designed to be used with sidelights only. However, I find them quite useful in narrow side streets at night where they provide visible warning to any other users without the dazzle from dipped headlights.

greendwarf said:
Regulo said:
If I recall, it's also illegal to use the fog lights without the headlamps on? I think that's why they're interlinked with the headlamps i.e the headlamps must be on before the fog lights can be operated.

I seriously hope not :eek: In fog headlights would reflect back at the driver preventing him seeing where he is going. They are specifically designed to be used with sidelights only. However, I find them quite useful in narrow side streets at night where they provide visible warning to any other users without the dazzle from dipped headlights.
My apologies, you're quite right, gd. I'm getting confused with the rear fogs, which are interlinked with the front lamps.

greendwarf said:
Regulo said:

Don't think you're correct, in the UK you must use headlights when visibility is reduced, sidelights are not adequate.
Highway code rule 226 states
"You MUST use headlights when visibility is seriously reduced, generally when you cannot see for more than 100 metres (328 feet). You may also use front or rear fog lights but you MUST switch them off when visibility improves (see Rule 236). Law RVLR regs 25 & 27"

Back