Fuel reimbursement maybe good news maybe not

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 816

Well Well!, today my company informed its Hybrid drivers of its new policy.

To date all fuel went on a fuel card and the bill split between them paying the business miles proportion and me paying the private. They ignored electricity costs completely. With mostly business miles it made recharging impractical as I was subsidising business miles more than private miles.

Today they say they are abandoning fuel cards only for hybrids and I will pay for petrol and electricity, they will reimburse business miles at the 2.0 petrol advisory rate (14p mile now)

That is about 40 mpg at current petrol prices. This changes the game totally because the less fuel (petrol & electricity) I put into the PHEV the better off I am. Charging becomes attractive as its cheaper per mile than petrol and boosts average mpg.

Slightly mixed feelings in that I have enjoyed ramping the car about without worrying about mpg (30 most days :oops: ) will have to go back to easy going style..

Heck! I might even have to try my Ecotricity card one day!

I think it is great news. Actually, I think the old schema should be declared illegal for a car that attracts so many tax savings. We are all breathing the same air and see what the schema has resulted in.....

I also approve of the change. Business users should be encouraged to drive more economically and in my view businesses paying employees for their private fuel shouldn't be allowed. Given the price of fuel, I can only assume that most of the idiots on the road that drive far too fast are either having it paid for by someone else or are too dense to realise the additional cost (in fuel and environment) and risk (to themselves and others). Rant over.

Enjoy driving more economically - it is a different sort of fun. You can still put your foot down occasionally, but at least you'll appreciate it more if you do it less often!
H

Hypermiler said:
I also approve of the change. Business users should be encouraged to drive more economically and in my view businesses paying employees for their private fuel shouldn't be allowed. Given the price of fuel, I can only assume that most of the idiots on the road that drive far too fast are either having it paid for by someone else or are too dense to realise the additional cost (in fuel and environment) and risk (to themselves and others). Rant over.

Enjoy driving more economically - it is a different sort of fun. You can still put your foot down occasionally, but at least you'll appreciate it more if you do it less often!
H

Yes I know what you mean and I do like to poodle on longer trips as all that go-go-go many people go in for just leaves you weary and agitated.

For example did 55 miles today, mixed roads, some motorway, quite a bit of urban. Ended the day with 48mpg, was 58mpg but that final 10 mile stretch of dual carriageway robbed me :roll: .

I wasn't going particularly fast all day but not being left behind just normal driving and the aircon was on full much the day. I can live with this kind of figure happily as I am not losing money and still have a great car and next to no tax. :cool:

BobEngineer said:
jcandmorag said:
Is it a global German company you work for per chance?

I may have received the same e-mail...

Ja! ;)

How do you feel about it?

I'm not sure yet as I don't get the car till July 6th but how will it work? Not everywhere takes stupid Amex for one. We have to claim back fuel via clic n claim, will that be business miles or just standard claim for fuel? The office won't even install a charge point at our office as this will be seen as BIK. I work for renewables, so much for saving the planet! I was lucky tho, I got the charge point installed at my house before the government grant fell, they won't reimburse the electric charging so... If I drive business miles and the car uses elec, how do I work this out if they don't pay for elec????

:evil:

I had the choice of a credit/debit/fuel car and let the company pay the fuel (petrol) but then I (and the company?) would have had to pay more Tax / National Insurance, and had the "interesting bit" of working out (arguing with the tax man?) about the cost of the home electric for the overnight charge.
(or as someone else said, not bothering to home charge, and use the charge button and petrol paid for by the company.)

I used to claim the (HMRC MAPs rate) of 45p / mile for business miles in my personal car,
so I chose to continue paying for all fuel personally, and claiming the (HMRC AFR rate) of 14p / mile for business miles in a company supplied car.

In the 2 weeks I've had the PHEV, it has done 450 miles, of which nearly 400 will be business miles on the expenses form.
so that is £56 for the 400 business miles

and the 450 miles that I've actually done has cost me about ... 14 days at £1 / day,
and around a £5 in petrol (haven't really used enough yet to find out)
so around £20?

at the moment, while HMRC says that a petrol or diesel hybird should be treated as what ever engine size it would be for a non-hybrid,
I think I'm going to be happy with claiming the business miles at the HMRC rates!

RichardOFB said:
I had the choice of a credit/debit/fuel car and let the company pay the fuel (petrol) but then I (and the company?) would have had to pay more Tax / National Insurance, and had the "interesting bit" of working out (arguing with the tax man?) about the cost of the home electric for the overnight charge.
(or as someone else said, not bothering to home charge, and use the charge button and petrol paid for by the company.)

I used to claim the (HMRC MAPs rate) of 45p / mile for business miles in my personal car,
so I chose to continue paying for all fuel personally, and claiming the (HMRC AFR rate) of 14p / mile for business miles in a company supplied car.

In the 2 weeks I've had the PHEV, it has done 450 miles, of which nearly 400 will be business miles on the expenses form.
so that is £56 for the 400 business miles

and the 450 miles that I've actually done has cost me about ... 14 days at £1 / day,
and around a £5 in petrol (haven't really used enough yet to find out)
so around £20?

at the moment, while HMRC says that a petrol or diesel hybird should be treated as what ever engine size it would be for a non-hybrid,
I think I'm going to be happy with claiming the business miles at the HMRC rates!

Thats' the way to do it. Obviously your business trips are mainly in the 'sweet spot' of EV use so coming out on top.

I think there is probably around an 80+ mile trip point where the mpg drops to close to the 41mpg rate your getting paid and it becomes problematic.

jcandmorag said:
BobEngineer said:
jcandmorag said:
Is it a global German company you work for per chance?

I may have received the same e-mail...

Ja! ;)

How do you feel about it?

I'm not sure yet as I don't get the car till July 6th but how will it work? Not everywhere takes stupid Amex for one.

Policy states you don't need to use your company Amex (and yes it is a stupid card generally, probably fine in 'corporate world') you can use your own.
Actually apart from the odd rural station most petrol stations take Amex no problems.

In fact I will be taking out my own Amex for fuel only, you can get a Platinum Cashback Everyday
Credit Card for no fee and it will pay you back 0.5% to 1.5% cashback, over several thousand pounds of spend it can build up to a nice little bonus.
https://www.americanexpress.com/uk/content/platinum-cashback-everyday-credit-card/

We have to claim back fuel via clic n claim, will that be business miles or just standard claim for fuel?

We used to use click/claim before the fuel card portal arrived so it already has the function.
It will works like this:
As often as you like but maybe say once a month you will open a new claim.

On the first page there is an option to select your vehicle group (so 1.5-2.0L petrol for PHEV)
That tells it what rate you will get paid.

You then just put on each line the same info you currently put in the fuelcard portal so business trips only by date, trip details and miles. Click/claim will multiply your miles on each line by the rate (13p currently).
Submit and you will be paid the money by BACS as usual.

The office won't even install a charge point at our office as this will be seen as BIK.
That is down to HMRC sadly. Daft as its not very Eco is it?

How far is the office? if its a regular place of work I assume that's private mileage so
if its not too far you could do well from your PHEV as cheap short private mileage trips are 'its party trick'

I work for renewables, so much for saving the planet! I was lucky tho, I got the charge point installed at my house before the government grant fell, they won't reimburse the electric charging so... If I drive business miles and the car uses elec, how do I work this out if they don't pay for elec????

I know you windmill guys even dream of electricity :p but you need to not think of it as electricity your putting in but as cheaper petrol, then it makes more sense.

So, you put petrol and electricity in, you pay for both, you run around privately and for business and for the business miles the company gives you 13p how does that work out?

Well if overnight you put in £1.00 of electricity and it gets you 20 miles (realistically) then if you think of it as fuel rather than electricity its costing you 5p a mile.

The company will give you 13p a mile so for the first 20 miles its cost you £1 and you are getting back £2.60 so you made a £1.60 profit!

But suppose your doing a 40 mile trip today, you do 20 miles on battery then the other 20 miles using petrol at 35mpg (which is achievable as its not driving like granny or thrashing it)
Petrol is about £5.33 a gallon so at 35mpg costs £0.15 per mile (oh oh losing money!)

Your cost
Electric cost 20 x £0.05 = £1.00
Petrol cost 20 x £0.15 = £3.00
total £4.00
Company pays you
40 x £0.13 = £5.20

Hooray you made £1.20 profit today. But as you can see, the longer the trip, or the heavier your foot or the more expensive your electricity tariff and its likely your could end up making a loss on longer journeys.

It depends on your balance of trips, some days you might win a bit, some you may lose which is how its likely to average out for me.

Also remember all that local running around we all do.. those private miles can tot up during the month but usually they are within battery range so its only costing you personally 5p a mile instead of maybe 12p to 20p in a normal car.

Final thing, the HMRC rate went to 14p in June (its adjusted regularly by the HMRC to track petrol prices) but our rate is currently still at last months 13p, I hope the company are not going to drag its feet about keeping the rates up to date as that would be simply unfair, knowing them I am not holding my breath on that one!

Anything else let me know, enjoy your car!!

:evil:

jcandmorag said:
Cheers Bob, that more or less answers everything.
Car comes on the 6th, canny wait.

:mrgreen:

Your welcome. After years of diesel forced on us it takes some mental effort to start putting petrol in again.. my filler cap area is covered in labels I made "PETROL!"

Hypermiler said:

H

Many years ago when I got private fuel consumption included, I don't think it altered my driving style, but it certainly tempted me to waste fuel on unnecessary journeys. I remember one occasion when I wanted a new lens for my camera and drove over a hundred miles each way to a shop that was selling it £5 cheaper than I could find locally.

Back