Gas vs Electric drive

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbasjm

This may seem like a dumb question, but here goes anyway:

On this vehicle, when it's using gasoline: is the gasoline engine powering the vehicle? Or is the gasoline engine powering the electric motors which are powering the vehicle?

Either/both. The car can be powered:
by electricity only; or
in 'serial' mode, with its ICE generating electricity to drive the electric motors; or
in 'parallel' mode, driving the front wheels directly through a single speed drive (no gears, so the engine speed has to match that of the road wheels), only available above ~70 kph.

In either mode, the engine may also be generating electricity to recharge the battery - it gets complicated, but there's no need to pay attention to what's happening beneath the hood/bonnet unless you want to! These various modes can be displayed on the small screen in front of the steering wheel or the larger screen on the centre console (if so selected).

@Mitch - I did read the manual, and I wanted clarification because I didn't completely understand it, which is why I went to this forum. I'm not sure your response provides any value to anybody.

@Chris Miller - thank you for the explanation.

Have a look at this sticky thread in the Technical Discussions section on this forum: http://www.myoutlanderphev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1278
It's a collection of Mitsubishi training material that describes the operation of various systems very nicely. As said above, there are different modes depending on the power demand, battery charge level and road speed. This is fundamentally a hybrid car that expects the engine to be used at least some of the time. It can run as a pure battery EV vehicle, but it isn't really designed primarily for that. It can run as a pure petrol vehicle, but it's not designed for that either (it'll keep charging the battery and switching to powering the wheels by electricity every time it's generated enough charge anyway even if you try). On longer, faster journeys you'll find it's in parallel mode mode of the time (engine driving front wheels and charging battery, with occasional switching back to electric power, with electric power to the rear wheels when required). On country roads with lots of accelerating and braking you may find it's using series mode to get more power to the wheels than electric alone can do. (EV is 60kW to the wheels maximum, series is about 120kW and parallel is up to 142kW).

I have to confess that I read all this before buying my Outlander PHEV, but that's the sort of person I am. I also read loads on Audi forums about the A3 e-tron, and BMW forums about the 225xi PHEVs before settling on the Outlander PHEV, after reading loads of reviews of different hybrids, BEVs and PHEVs on car review sites to narrow it down to those three. This is to get an idea of what people don't like about the cars and what to look out for when buying second hand. I also read the brochures and owner's manuals for the them too so I could see if there was anything I didn't like how it worked or some feature that I'd really like. As it was I wanted the Audi's dashboard and features, the Mitsubishi's powertrain, boot and height and not a lot from the BMW... I tend to do this sort of thing with any expensive purchase though, but I know some people are a lot more impulsive and prefer to figure things out rather than read about them beforehand. My daily job relies on knowledge of IT systems, so I'm in the habit of reading up and being well informed rather than reacting to issues with no idea of how to deal with it. Not everyone is the same - life would be boring if we were!

Simple answer:
The car is driven through the electric motors. The ICE will charge the batteries and supplement the battery power if needed. But - with high power demand, e.g. high speeds, it can be connected through an automatic clutch mechanism to the front wheels and will provide direct drive. Even then, it will continue to charge the batteries from its power surplus.

Thanks for the responses guys, very helpful. And, I should have known better than to engage a troll, can't believe I did that.

Back