Good Morning!

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carnut

I took delivery of my PHEV (4H) yesterday from Mitsubishi Poole.
It is my 6th Mitsubishi and have always found Poole Mitsubishi to be an excellent, friendly & helpful dealership.
So far BRILLIANT :D
Although it is a bit of a steep learning curve being my first hybrid although it is my 71st car!
Auto boot opening/closing seems to defeat me using the key and the rubber buttons on the boot when closed. But I'm sure I will get it right if I can get past all the 'WARNING' & 'DANGER" notices in the handbook. ;)
Colin Lambert.

I have had my car just over 3 weeks and I still find the boot opening a bit hit and miss. I now understand that you cannot open it from inside the car if you have the engine on (safety reasons I suppose) but while standing near my car I find I can press and press and the boot won't open I have tried both key fobs just incase my one is a bit faulty but it still seems to only work sporadically which is not great when you have your hands full! Closing has been quite straight forward using the close button on the inside of the boot lid.

Hopefully those who are are much more knowledgeable will be give some hints and tips as reading the manual hasn't helped me.

I have to say that after a couple of months both my wife and I gave up on the tailgate opener and turned it off. It's just too slow both up and down and the manual spring assistance makes it nicely weighted. It's just fine for faster opening of the tailgate by hand. I like the electric locking though. :p

Tipper said:
I have to say that after a couple of months both my wife and I gave up on the tailgate opener and turned it off. It's just too slow both up and down and the manual spring assistance makes it nicely weighted. It's just fine for faster opening of the tailgate by hand. I like the electric locking though. :p

I love the electric tailgate! Don't forget that the range of the remote control is quite long - I start it opening as I am approaching the car - that way, it is waiting ready for me when I get there. It does sometimes give passers-by a bit of a fright!

A double press on the tailgate opening button (not the key fob) will also turn the tailgate to manual. Handy if you have a dog who tries to escape as soon as the electric opener gets the boot wide enough to get through! Also useful in a confined space.

And don't forget the on/off switch down near the key slot / power socket in the centre dash . . . that one had be fooled for a day!

On my car, you cannot open the tailgate by the remote if the doors are locked, you have to press door unlock and then two slow presses on the tailgate open button for it to work.

When I say two slow presses . . to unlock the doors , I give a quick press (the same as "dot" in morse) but when I open the tailgate, it is two slower presses (the same as "dash" in morse), so a quarter second push for the doors a two half second pushes for the tailgate. (.--) (W)

OK, I am years out of practice and my morse skills are slow . . . . . :D

G6BBN

Jeff

jthspace said:
And don't forget the on/off switch down near the key slot / power socket in the centre dash . . . that one had be fooled for a day!

On my car, you cannot open the tailgate by the remote if the doors are locked, you have to press door unlock and then two slow presses on the tailgate open button for it to work.

When I say two slow presses . . to unlock the doors , I give a quick press (the same as "dot" in morse) but when I open the tailgate, it is two slower presses (the same as "dash" in morse), so a quarter second push for the doors a two half second pushes for the tailgate. (.--) (W)

OK, I am years out of practice and my morse skills are slow . . . . . :D

G6BBN

Jeff

I assume you haven't tried going mobile from the PHEV, have you? The thought of what a hundred watts on two metres would do to all those control systems is scary!

Got a couple of 5w 70cm handies now, but that's about it. I hanker for the steerable I had on my old house, it was about the same size as the house itself . . . .

I almost got them out and went and sat in the car, then decided that it wasn't worth the experiment (or trying to explain the odd burning smell to the dealer).

Misty said:
I now understand that you cannot open it from inside the car if you have the engine on (safety reasons I suppose)

Actually, you don't need to turn off the car to open the boot from inside the car, you just need it to be in "Park" (the "P" button in front of the gear stick) then you can open the boot using the button to the right of the steering wheel.

Thanks chaps for all those helpful comments. Not sure I am happy about the 'hit & miss' comments though. I shall go to Poole Mitsubishi and see what happens after trying the 'double click on the key.
Having had my mobile phone & it's address list installed by the Dealer the system has now dumped ALL my numbers and the screen yesterday kept flashing 'Phone disconnected' then 30 seconds later 'Phone connected' and so on and so on.
I must admit that IMHO it is the WORST car handbook I have ever had the misfortune to read. You would think with all the 'warnings' , NOTE' & 'danger' that the car was going to be driven by idiots. Some of the warnings are so childish, that if they did not occur to the reader I don't think he/she should be allowed out on their own!!
I noticed also that although the Japanese are noted for not being able to pronounce 'L' (using 'R' instead that they also PRINT R instead of L . In one section at least the lights 'BRINK' instead of 'BLINK' :roll:
I do hope more care has gone into building the car than has been the case with the handbook.
So saying.
I am very pleased with it so far. Coming back from Sherborne to Poole today I managed 37.7mpg with the petrol engine running all the time in 'charge' mode. not bad for a 2.0L, 2 ton lump

It's not hit and miss, you just need a double press on the keyfob button. Something that took me a while to find out as its apparently not in the manual, at least I can't find it.

Don't start me on manuals in Japanese English... :evil: I've seen far worse... :roll:
BTW, why did you run the thing on Charge? Bit of a waste of petrol IMO.

Carnut said:
I must admit that IMHO it is the WORST car handbook I have ever had the misfortune to read. You would think with all the 'warnings' , NOTE' & 'danger' that the car was going to be driven by idiots. Some of the warnings are so childish, that if they did not occur to the reader I don't think he/she should be allowed out on their own!!
I noticed also that although the Japanese are noted for not being able to pronounce 'L' (using 'R' instead that they also PRINT R instead of L . In one section at least the lights 'BRINK' instead of 'BLINK' :roll:
I do hope more care has gone into building the car than has been the case with the handbook.
So saying.

This is interesting. As you say in the OP that this is the 6th Mitsu you've had, am I to understand the previous handbooks have been much better or is it that those were "ordinary" cars you felt confident just to jump in and drive? Certainly I felt the need to read the handbook much more than any previous car because I recognised it was so different but I can't say the manual is any more opaque than most similar ones for electrical goods - I still can't work out how to work some of the functions on various audio/TV equipment I have. :oops:

However, I did have the advantage of having the fuel filler lever in the same position as my Avensis - an issue that has defeated some owners :lol:

westdevon said:
It's not hit and miss, you just need a double press on the keyfob button. Something that took me a while to find out as its apparently not in the manual, at least I can't find it.

Here you are:
33dggur.jpg

You get used to the tailgate and I do find it useful to start opening it on approach to the car. Horizontal rain this morning and freezing as well on our semi-regular outing to the local Costco with a well laden trolly - able to double-pop the tailgate button and it opened as we were walking toward it, meaning no rummaging about, just reached the car and quickly loaded everything in!

Did a 40 mile round trip yesterday, cold and wet, so lights, wipers, blowers on, so not the best EV potential. However, as the journey was 70% on dual carriageway it meant some EV only, some series hybrid and some parallel hybrid, I never cease to be excited seeing it do its thing like that so effortlessly. I had hoped to use the rapid charger at the nearby Sianbury's to the rugby ground my son was playing at, but the whole match set-up was really chaotic so did not get the chance. Got back home after 41 miles with 2
miles on the EV range, obviously having used petrol, but the mpg showing 77.1! Happy with that!

Jthspace....Could you translate please?
Well I tried the double click boot opening last evening and it worked!
I tried it this morning on three different occasions and it didn't work! Then at one time it DID work WHOOPEE!
I read the tome regarding turning off the interior alarm sensor and did as it said (move wiper switch to 'mist', by which I presume they mean washer. (But which washer? Front or rear-I tried both, neither worked)
Also when running purely on battery if I turn the heater on it sometimes starts the (petrol) engine and sometimes it doesn't?????
Alarm went off on two different occasions! I am really getting VERY P'd off with this hit and miss attitude of the electrics on this car or am I simply being a complete PRAT?

I think whether it runs the engine or not depends upon the outside temperature despite having an electric heater on my HS model.

I started off this morning and it was 0C and the engine started immediately even with a full battery. Interestingly there was a rumbling motor/pump sound first which I assumed to be the heater water circulating pump. Not had this before presumably because the outside temperature was lower as it has been warmer down 'yer in Devon.

I thought if the car has an electric heater then it shouldn't start the engine?

Is the electric heater also used to warm the engine coolant in readiness for later automatic start-up, as 4kW is a massive heater for such a relatively small interior space! Surely an electric fan air heater of much lower capacity would have been more sensible both in terms of instant heat and battery drain?

Translation :

Unlock doors. Press boot open key by saying "one thousand, two thousand" and pressing the key on "one" and "two" - i.e. this is a press, half second wait, press. Tried it 5 times just now and worked every time. I think it is just a matter of getting used to it.

Alarm Settings :

Turn OFF ignition

Deactivate Movement sensors = Hold Wiper switch UP (Mist wipe) (NOT towards you, but UP) for 3 seconds - signal is 2 beeps...
Close and lock doors with key fob button or door button as normal.

Movement sensors reset to ACTIVE the next time you unlock and open the door - If you change your mind before closing the door after deactivating the movement sensor you can push the wiper lever up and hold for 3 seconds and you will hear 1 beep - movement sensors are active again when you lock the car.

The is also a method, slightly more involved, that deactivates the alarm system completely:-

Turn OFF ignition

Pull wiper lever towards steering wheel (wash/wipe) and hold for 10 seconds signal one long bleep keep lever pulled and press the unlock button on the key fob

Signal 1 bleep - alarm deactivated and it stays that way until your repeat the above
Signal 2 bleeps - alarm system activated

(Thanks to original poster for the Alarm tips - dgmulti)

Hope this helps,

Jeff

Back