Heat by ICE or battery

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PolishPilot

If I cannot preheat, but the battery is full, what is better:

1. Let the PHEV decide (as it does usually) and heat with the battery (using up to 4-5 kW)
2. Put her to Save mode and force the ICE run and heat the car with the waste heat.

Assumed is longer drive that will use the full battery charge and start the ICE anyway.

My idea is that the ICE heat is using "waste heat", that in other case would go to the radiator,
so no cost or power loss, while the battery heating consume the EV range and money.

Any thoughts?

I think you are probably correct - the battery is not a cost effective way of heating the car if the length of the journey is such that you are inevitably going to burn some petrol anyway.

Why can't you pre-heat while on charge?

You'll find that below 7 degrees (more or less) the car will start up the ICE regardless When cold to provide heating.

maby said:
I think you are probably correct - the battery is not a cost effective way of heating the car if the length of the journey is such that you are inevitably going to burn some petrol anyway.

Why can't you pre-heat while on charge?

I keep my car permanently on charger, when in the garage,
so theoretically I could always preheat,
but sometimes I am leaving at unexpected time,
not knowing long enough in advance, when it will happen.

Keeping the car permanently preheated for such occasions
is pure waste of energy.

Bringing daily your kids to school or leaving for office
at fixed times is an optimal situation for preheating.

I work form home, drive to meetings or just for shopping.

jaapv said:
You'll find that below 7 degrees (more or less) the car will start up the ICE regardless When cold to provide heating.

Yes, I've read that on another forum and it happened with mine yesterday evening. Temperature was about 8C (it's a Gx4h, the one with MMCS). After a few minutes, I thought of pressing the ECO button and the ICE stopped. Not sure if it was a coincidence or not.

dukeinlondon said:
jaapv said:

Yes, I've read that on another forum and it happened with mine yesterday evening. Temperature was about 8C (it's a Gx4h, the one with MMCS). After a few minutes, I thought of pressing the ECO button and the ICE stopped. Not sure if it was a coincidence or not.
Yes, it will stop a bit sooner when the ECO button is pressed. Not much though.

I would let the car decide from where the heat comes. Your original thoughts seems logical. However when you have the charger connected it would be great if you could use the battery/electrical connection to preheat both the water (to the heater and ICE) and the battery pack. Usually I charge over night and the battery is full after 5 h (10 A fuse). Then it's at least 5 more hours left with the cable connected. If the car could start 30 m before my programmed take off with heating the systems (using 10 A) I would have a warm car with a warm ICE and a more efficient battery pack.

Back