Heat & Clean wiper blades

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KillerBob

Hi,

Has anyone installed the Heat & Clean wiper blades on their Phevs? Living in Greenland it sounds like an awesome idea, and if it was not an electrical car with several batteries, I would go right ahead, but I want to make sure it in no way will interfere with the electrical systems in the Phev. I reckon it would be onto the driving battery?

http://www.heat-clean.com/shop/heated-wiper-blade/

Good idea if you're living in the freezer. But these won't be on the driving (traction) battery, they're 12 volt. So got to connect to the 12 volt system somewhere. As that battery lives in the back of the car, you'll need to find a live feed under the bonnet somewhere. Someone else will tell you where to find such a thing - I don't know!

As I understand it there are terminals for the 12 volt auxiliary battery under the bonnet, the + being in the fuse box, and the - anywhere which is ground.

But noone has these wipers installed?

I seem to understand the heating will only work when the engine is running. The setup of the PHEV might confuse the things.

Customize your system using the control module’s (wiper blade sensor) three settings:
• AUTOMATIC: detects when the car is running and when the outside temperature is below freezing
• MANUAL: always on when the vehicle is running regardless of outside temperature
• OFF: prevents the system from turning on

And that's exactly why I was hoping someone had already tried it out...

On a related note; isn't the front wiper "parking area" heated anyway?

KillerBob said:

not on the UK model

Only by the interior blower. If Mitsubishi had been offering a heated windscreen, I would most certainly have gone for it.

So the front demister is only the heating system directing air onto the windscreen?

If so, then I will most likely get the heated wiperblades installed by the dealer. The turning on/off we will have to figure out:)

maby said:
KillerBob said:

not on the UK model

I thought we did have, though the manual says:

Manual said:
On vehicles equipped with the wiper deicer, when the rear window demister switch is pushed, the window glass becomes warm and the wipers become operable. Refer to “Wiper deicer switch” on page 6-53.

I wonder how we can tell if we are equipped? I thought it was just lines in the windscreen where the wipers rest on it that heat up when you turn on the heated rear window (and heated mirrors at the same time also come on).

I'll have a look at mine in the morning...

maby said:
KillerBob said:

not on the UK model
On the Swedish model it is. Maybe the same goes for the Danish one. If I was to improve the wipers I'd rather go for the Heated Washer Fluid System than heated wipers. I equipped heated washer on my SAAB a long time ago and it really made difference.

ClasseClas said:
maby said:
KillerBob said:

not on the UK model
On the Swedish model it is. Maybe the same goes for the Danish one. If I was to improve the wipers I'd rather go for the Heated Washer Fluid System than heated wipers. I equipped heated washer on my SAAB a long time ago and it really made difference.

Agreed, the heater jets and windscreen on my Range Rover were excellent - however pre-heating has more than made up for that on the PHEV.

Just looked at my UK one and there are no visible lines on the windscreen in the "parking area". On the Swedish model can you see heating element lines there?

BeeJay said:
ClasseClas said:

Agreed, the heater jets and windscreen on my Range Rover were excellent - however pre-heating has more than made up for that on the PHEV.

Just looked at my UK one and there are no visible lines on the windscreen in the "parking area". On the Swedish model can you see heating element lines there?
Yes, they are visible. Looks like the rear window lines however with a tighter layout. Agree that pre-heating does its job but whenever the wipers freeze and get stuck on the windshield it is nice just to turn the windshield heating on and bother about something else ;)

Boy I hope that is on the "Danish" model as well:) Hopefully they figured that out when they decided also to add the Electric Heater... I wonder if those two items are a package together?

KillerBob said:
Boy I hope that is on the "Danish" model as well:) Hopefully they figured that out when they decided also to add the Electric Heater... I wonder if those two items are a package together?
In Sweden all models are equipped with electric pre-heating, windshield heater and sidemirror heaters. Let's cross our fingers that the Danish models are equipped in the same fashion.

My Greenlandic version is indeed equipped with Electric Heater, Front Wiper Deicer, and Heated Sidemirrors :D How much of that can I control using the app, I know I can control the Electric Heater, but what about the other two cold weather niceties?

KillerBob said:
My Greenlandic version is indeed equipped with Electric Heater, Front Wiper Deicer, and Heated Sidemirrors :D How much of that can I control using the app, I know I can control the Electric Heater, but what about the other two cold weather niceties?
I the app you can select pre-heat mode "WARM" or "DEFROSTER". Either mode will turn on the rear window heater only (and that's all as far as I have noticed). Also I think you should be able to deselect the rear window heating option in the MMCS menu settings but I think there is a bug in the firmware.

Back