Hit charge ... does not start charging

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elm70

It did happen already multiple time recently

All the time battery was below 50% ... but it was very cold (zero or less)

It did even happen at 120km/h with less then 3km of range

It is looking it take some time before start the engine ... that is quite odd .. maybe the car want to warm up the engine before start it :?:

Anybody had same issue ?

Lot of fuel in the tank

Not this case

I guess it has something to do with temperature

Hm... I've noticed that if it's really cold, the engine will idle for a bit longer than usual. During that time the blue arrow just blinks intermittently a few times.

Is it possible that you where driving fast enough for the road noise to blank or the engine - it's very quiet when idling without any load.

I usually only can hear a faint click from a relay, and feel a small shudder from the start in situations like this.

karl said:
Hm... I've noticed that if it's really cold, the engine will idle for a bit longer than usual. During that time the blue arrow just blinks intermittently a few times.

Is it possible that you where driving fast enough for the road noise to blank or the engine - it's very quiet when idling without any load.

I usually only can hear a faint click from a relay, and feel a small shudder from the start in situations like this.

Thanks

Possibly the engine was idling, but at 120km/h on motorway I could not hear it.

I will have to check it again

Just notice that if I start the heat system .. the engine start immediately and does also some charging too

elm70 said:
Just notice that if I start the heat system .. the engine start immediately and does also some charging too
Are you sure? I was under the impression that, when the ICE is started for the purpose of heating, no charge whatsoever takes place, not even when the engine is warm: it either idles or provides just enough power needed for propelling the car at that time.

anko said:
elm70 said:
Are you sure? I was under the impression that, when the ICE is started for the purpose of heating, no charge whatsoever takes place, not even when the engine is warm: it either idles or provides just enough power needed for propelling the car at that time.

Just seen this morning.

-10deg .. the main windows was not fully defrosted by the pre-heating (which did run while not charging, but with fully charged battery) ... I did start the heat for finish to defrost the front windows ... and since engine was running .. I click on charge too .. and it was showing the icon of charging from engine to battery on the dash (battery was possibly around 95% full in that moment)

When charge button did not work ... I did not had the active heating going on .. and I was driving 120km/h ... so ... maybe start immediately the engine at over 50kw power .. with -6 was consider to hard .... so ... that's why my car did ignore my request to charge, or at least it was "delayed" .. still while idling a bit ... some extra "power" could be used for charging too .. but ... they may have implemented their own logic in the ECU

Either way ... it sound to me .. that focus once again has been put on having the best longevity for the car ... like in many other aspects which we have seen in this car ... so .. I can't complain much about it.

anko said:

Today -12 ... 10min preheat did non defrost not even bring cabin above zero (-5 in the car)

As soon as I activated air circulation and heating (in ECO mode) .. engine did start, and as well charge did happen too .. maybe it does not charge if I'm not moving .. but while the car is moving, I can feel the engine rev up also for 10 to 20kw power request ... and charging arrow is visible.

This time I did not press on charge

Consumption is huge .. after couple of minutes with ICE on (I did try to do the first 2km without ICE) .... consumption was above 9l/100km (at this level I decide to end my trip in the cold, and I switch of heating and ICE gone off) .. anyhow very bad for a car that has 95% battery and should only use the engine for warm up the cabin

I thought it was well known that 10 minutes of preheating would not be enough at low temps. Years ago, Mitsu came to the same conclusion and provided us with an update that allowed us to preheat for 10, 20 or 30 minutes instead of just 10. Perhaps you should try 30 minutes first ....

There is no specific 'charging arrow'. It is more like a 'generator output' arrow. Unfortunately, the graphics make it appear as if power flowing from generator to the motors passes through the battery, but only the surplus goes into the battery (or a shortage comes from the battery). The graphics don't allow us to tell the difference.

anko said:
I thought it was well known that 10 minutes of preheating would not be enough at low temps. Years ago, Mitsu came to the same conclusion and provided us with an update that allowed us to preheat for 10, 20 or 30 minutes instead of just 10. Perhaps you should try 30 minutes first ....

There is no specific 'charging arrow'. It is more like a 'generator output' arrow. Unfortunately, the graphics make it appear as if power flowing from generator to the motors passes through the battery, but only the surplus goes into the battery (or a shortage comes from the battery). The graphics don't allow us to tell the difference.

Maybe I have old firmware on my car ... :shock:

Anyhow ... 20/30min pre heat is possible only via WiFi App .. not via MMCS ... via MMCS only 10min is possible ... so .. Mistubishi did a cheap hacked patch :oops:

Even assuming that I should "ignore" the shown arrow ... why the engine revs up when I'm on the move, and follow my power demand (which never exceed the 60kw mark) ?

To me .. when heating is on ... charging happen too based on Mitsubishi decided logic ... which is once again .. questionable.

elm70 said:
anko said:

Consumption is huge .. after couple of minutes with ICE on (I did try to do the first 2km without ICE) .... consumption was above 9l/100km (at this level I decide to end my trip in the cold, and I switch of heating and ICE gone off) .. anyhow very bad for a car that has 95% battery and should only use the engine for warm up the cabin

I get that people want to try and maximise their economy and reduce their emmissions, and I get why some people are frustrated that the ICE kicks in to provide heat when its cold.

But I’m sorry, I can’t understand why someone would drive around in a £35k+ car in -10 conditions, but would rather sit in the freezing cold that have to use up some petrol to provide heat. Isn’t there a balance to be struck somewhere ? Doesn’t comfort and convenience factor in to your thinking anywhere, or is it entirely about maximising the efficiency of the car ?

geoffshep69 said:
I get that people want to try and maximise their economy and reduce their emmissions, and I get why some people are frustrated that the ICE kicks in to provide heat when its cold.

But I’m sorry, I can’t understand why someone would drive around in a £35k+ car in -10 conditions, but would rather sit in the freezing cold that have to use up some petrol to provide heat. Isn’t there a balance to be struck somewhere ? Doesn’t comfort and convenience factor in to your thinking anywhere, or is it entirely about maximising the efficiency of the car ?

I see your point ...

In my case I paid way less my PHEV ... I did jump from my old 3y Duster into a 3y old PHEV for less then 10k EU difference .. that can be consider ~18k EUR total payment for my PHEV

I was aware the change will not make any economical sense (when all factors are consider) ... but ... I did see a way to have less running cost, for a limited "CAPEX", as plus ... having a "better car" in my hands ... plus .. I like to drive in EV mode ... I like total silence, and to be "different" then the "smoking" cars next to me in the morning traffic :geek:

On top ... What make me "mad" ... is to waste energy, after have fully charge the car overnight.
I'm only need 25km drive in my day ... so ... I'm really aiming to do it 100% EV

Clearly electric heating would be just good enough for my "taste" .. but only by vtech hacking it would be possible to be used.

Having the electric heated sit .. I don't have "much" issues with a cold cabin ...

@geoffshep69

I think you are missing the point. An EV prio mode must be so simple to implement so it is just flabbergasting that they did not.

As of sitting in the cold I disagree totally. Me going to the local mall 4km away without preheat the ICE starts but NEVER reaches temp to start heat the car. My car gets heated by electricity on that trip but running the ICE for 5 minutes totally wasting fuel and environment at -15C. Note also that the catalyser does not work as the ICE never reaches operating temperature so all fuel spent is total environment damage. I cannot see how this is a simple "quirk".

elm70 said:
Anyhow ... 20/30min pre heat is possible only via WiFi App .. not via MMCS ... via MMCS only 10min is possible ... so .. Mistubishi did a cheap hacked patch :oops:
OMG, why are so negative about ... well ... about everything? :roll:

Anyway, once you've set it to 20 or 30 minutes via the app, MMCS will obey.

elm70 said:
anko said:
Even assuming that I should "ignore" the shown arrow ... why the engine revs up when I'm on the move, and follow my power demand (which never exceed the 60kw mark) ?

To me .. when heating is on ... charging happen too based on Mitsubishi decided logic ... which is once again .. questionable.
Like I said earlier, when the ICE is started for heating, engine power is used for propelling the car, which explains why the revs go up and down with changing power demand. But this has NOTHING to do with charging. To me, it seems rather logical to use engine power for propulsion when the engine is already running.

Steepndeep said:
@geoffshep69

I think you are missing the point. An EV prio mode must be so simple to implement so it is just flabbergasting that they did not.

As of sitting in the cold I disagree totally. Me going to the local mall 4km away without preheat the ICE starts but NEVER reaches temp to start heat the car. My car gets heated by electricity on that trip but running the ICE for 5 minutes totally wasting fuel and environment at -15C. Note also that the catalyser does not work as the ICE never reaches operating temperature so all fuel spent is total environment damage. I cannot see how this is a simple "quirk".
I agree on this one. One workaround is to pull the fuse for the fuel pump ;-)

Steepndeep said:
@geoffshep69

OK, so maybe they should have put an EV button in originally, but they didn’t. However, if you have the car, and you know it doesn’t have the button, then my point still stands, I’d rather be comfortable and warm rather than cold but achieve a marginally better economy figure.

I get the point about small journeys, and appreciate that if you are not going far enough to ever warm up the car up properly then it is wasted fuel firing up the ICE. If that’s the situation elm70 was referring to then fair enough, but his comment about “ending his trip in the cold”, and subsequent reply indicating a 25km drive, makes me think that it is a longer journey and it is his choice to be cold, rather than it being a short journey where he would be cold no matter what. I do understand the desire to be efficient and drive on EV wherever possible, but I can’t understand why someone would feel so strongly about that to the extent that they would be happy to sit and drive in the freezing cold.

geoffshep69 said:
I do understand the desire to be efficient and drive on EV wherever possible, but I can’t understand why someone would feel so strongly about that to the extent that they would be happy to sit and drive in the freezing cold.
I totally do understand. I think it separates the people that got the PHEV just for tax purposes from those that also had the environment in mind.

Apart from the environment, the tax brakes are depending on fuel economy. To me, accepting the tax brake means having a moral obligation to optimise the economy. And this is why it is so frustrating when the car does not work with you in your efforts.

anko said:
OMG, why are so negative about ... well ... about everything? :roll:

Anyway, once you've set it to 20 or 30 minutes via the app, MMCS will obey.

Like I said earlier, when the ICE is started for heating, engine power is used for propelling the car, which explains why the revs go up and down with changing power demand. But this has NOTHING to do with charging. To me, it seems rather logical to use engine power for propulsion when the engine is already running.

Once WiFi APP is used .. MMCS "pages" for time-charge and per-heat will not work anymore :oops:
I learn it in the hard way ... I had to disable WiFi for make MMCS to work on my car for these two functions :cry:

About logical ...
No it is not ... since at low speed the car only go with eMotors .. so what is the point to waste extra fuel if the battery is well charged?

Would be so "natural" and simple .. if the ECO button would have work as a total ICE stopper .. and leave the rest of their logic to happen when car is in Normal mode.

Back