How long does it take to charge your car?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GlennKelly

According to Plymouth City council it only takes one hour to charge my Phev! Has anyone achieved this? My car park has a pod point, and according to Plymouth City Council it tkaes only one hour to charge a car. Or one hour is deemed to be sufficent! Has anyone else been affected? Many thanks.

Depends on the type of charger. It takes over 3 hours from flat on a 16A fast charger. A ChaDeMo charger will take 20 to 30 minutes to get as much charge in as it is able to do, but that will be less than a full charge in order to protect the battery. So, no - there is no charging option that recharges a PHEV in one hour.

It takes over three hours to fully charge a depleted phev. It looks like the council does not like you parking for free to me.
An hour on a standard charger might let you top up the charge a little but if it is a fast ChaDeMo charger it does take less than an hour, it does not fully charge your car however.

Mmhhh ....

Today I made an experiment : when the Chademo system stops charging (at 80 %), you can initiate a new charge.

The current's intensity will decrease very quickly from ~ 40 A, and 4 or 5 mn after the beginning, near 85% the system will switch in "normal mode" (near 18 A).

I haven't waited further, but I can imagine that it is possible to reach 100 % with this second session.

Hi Glenn
As posted by others, it takes about 3.5hrs via a 16amp charger and about 5hrs via a 13amp socket. I suppose PCC are thinking that you have some charge left in the battery when you plug in and are therefore suggesting a charge time of 1hr.
I have raised the question before on this forum under charging etiquette the use of chargers. I have used the Chargers in the Theatre Royal car park when visiting the theatre and have been parked for 4hrs and the Western Approach car park whilst shopping parked for about 3hrs. If PCC are suggesting that you should only be ther for an hour I can't see how that will work, you have to pay for your parking so you should be able to stay for the time paid for.
A bit different at both the George and Plympton park & ride car parks, no charge for parking and people tend to lave their cars ther for long periods if not the whole working day, if for instance you work in the city and park in the EV bay would you leave work get back on the bus after say 3hrs move your car and go back to work, I don't think so!
I have used the George facility whilst paying a visit to Derriford, I must admit this was more for the novelty factor as I only live 4 miles away and had a full battery when I left home!
As the EV cars become more popular I can see the use of the Chargers becoming more of a problem particularly for full EV cars, perhaps we should keep quite about how good the EV cars are so there is a better chance of us getting a charging bay!

I think the public charging network is going to have to move to a commercial basis if it is going to develop further - and I would expect that the pricing structure will be per hour rather than per kWh - that will discourage users from staying plugged up all day.

Grigou said:
Mmhhh ....

Today I made an experiment : when the Chademo system stops charging (at 80 %), you can initiate a new charge.

The current's intensity will decrease very quickly from ~ 40 A, and 4 or 5 mn after the beginning, near 85% the system will switch in "normal mode" (near 18 A).

I haven't waited further, but I can imagine that it is possible to reach 100 % with this second session.
And that is exactly what Mitubishi warns against in the manual. It will destroy your battery in the long run. Maybe not even that long.
Nor will that be under guaranty - the car keeps a charging log.

at home I just leave over night, used a ecotricty charge point after half an hour appox it had charged 80%, tried charging again and 10% went in quick but the last 10% went into super slow mode so gave up at that stage.

Back