HOW TO USE correctly OR SHIFT B GEARS FOR FUEL ECONOMY

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all, I'm new to this forum and had my outlander for 3 months now and love it. Upgraded from a Toyota Prius PHEV, which I had for 3 year, so I'm not new to PHEV's.
I been following this thread and had to make a comment on the CVT which may finalize what is mitsubishi's cvt, which I found on the Prius forum.
The Mitsubishi uses GKN's E-Transmission - http://www.gkn.com/media/News/Pages/GKN-Driveline-Multi-Mode-eTransmission-on-the-Mitsubishi-Outlander-PHEV.aspx

Jimc

Jimc said:
Hi all, I'm new to this forum and had my outlander for 3 months now and love it. Upgraded from a Toyota Prius PHEV, which I had for 3 year, so I'm not new to PHEV's.
I been following this thread and had to make a comment on the CVT which may finalize what is mitsubishi's cvt, which I found on the Prius forum.
The Mitsubishi uses GKN's E-Transmission - http://www.gkn.com/media/News/Pages/GKN-Driveline-Multi-Mode-eTransmission-on-the-Mitsubishi-Outlander-PHEV.aspx

Jimc
Same link was posted in this same thread 4 days ago, and did not resolve anything. Don't think it will this time.

If the PHEV has CVT at all, this device is not it / this device does not play a vital role in it. All it does (in this particular context) is provide a fixed ratio connection between engine and generator.

maby said:
anjuhiru said:
so ok friends....can anybody here summaries the best economical way to use B paddles ???? specially battery charge finish fully and need to run in petrol engine????

Huh? Oh, you want to go back to the original question???

Some here have reported all sorts of complex strategies for using the paddles - claimed improved economy, but those claims are very difficult to prove. There seems to be a lot of consensus that running on B0 and letting the car coast to a halt rather than braking can make a useful improvement in economy and using a high B number down long hills rather than braking will both recoup power and reduce wear on the car. Beyond that, it seems to be a matter of taste - some like to leave the car in B5 all the time which makes it behave a bit like a dodgem - lift your foot off the accelerator and it effectively applies brakes. I suspect that this is bad for fuel economy in most driving conditions.

yeah friend i totally agree with u..using b5 all the time is rubbish and waste of lot of energy..but i used B0 ..it is gliding but no charging effect..

There have been a few confusing and confused posts related to the PHEV's transmission and "CVT".

The Outlander drives the wheels in two ways:
1. Electric motors powered either from the batteries or the engine used as a generator
2. A fixed gear connecting the engine to the front axle

A CVT box mechanically connects the engine to the driven axle using a drive belt connecting two cones. We dont have one of those. Toyota's Hybrid Synergy Drive features an "e-CVT" box with a planetary drive arrangement. We don't have one of those either. When the engine roars away under acceleration it's because the power requirement from the motors exceeds what the battery can produce. The higher revs create more power which drives the battery. There is no mechanical gear at all in use when the revs rise and fall as there is in either version of a CVT.

Using paddles does help to some extent especially on a long steep drop you can manage 1 -2 mile regen on B5. On D you dont drop much speed so better. In few months you know best way out on your route. I am for 93 to 95 % EV driving.

Back