I have been PHEVed :)

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kamz58

Hi Everyone,

After months of lurking around this forum and going through the massive amount of info available on it by the courtesy of extremely helpful members; I have taken the plunge and have just been delivered my grey Outlander PHEV on Friday.
I am beyond happy so far and still learning all the new bits about the car compared to my previous 5 series.
Till now I have only charged at my home using a normal 3 pin socket but now I need more info about the public charging points and have got a couple of questions.
I have ordered the ecotricity card but I am not sure if I should also order the Source London card. I am based in Reading but do travel to london from time to time. Are the ecotricity cards compatible with Source london points?
Also what cables do I need for Ecotricity and Source london charge points as the info on their website is a bit confusing. My car only came with the 3 pin charger, is that the only cable the car comes with? I read somewhere that the outlander comes with 2 types of cables.
Is there anyone else from Reading on this forum as I have seen at least 2 Outlanders 1 blue and 1 grey around town.

Not in Reading, but Marlow - have been to Reading in mine though!

For Source London you will need to get one of their cards - not too expensive though, mine was £5 and it is then free to charge.

What is expensive is the cable you will need in order to use them - a Type 1 (J1772) to Type 2 (Mennekes) Cable - 32A.

Here is the cheapest I have found, I got mine from them - http://nuworldenergy.co.uk/shop/mitsubishi-outlander-phev.html.

The car does only come with the 3-pin charging cable, all other cables are extra.

+1 for the cable from NuWorld. You can get them from lots of places but this is a competitive price, I got mine from NuWorld with no problems.

As BeeJay said, for fast chargers you will need this type 1/type 2 cable as the Chargers do no have any cables, for rapid chargers just use the tethered cable.

If you decide to get a home charger, then having a cable also gives you the flexibility to go untethered, which might be useful if you change EV, or buy another one.

Thanks guys for the replies. Do the Ecotricity and Source London charge points both require the this cable? coz I was of the impression that ecotricity cable can simply be plugged in to the car straight away

Ecotricity chargers (like all rapids) have the cable with the CHadeMO connector tethered to them - no cable required.
Source London chargers need you to bring your own cable.

Another Question for you guys, Is there any major difference between getting the charge point installed via EvCharging solutions or Chargemaster? is any company preferable or they both have the same solutions? any personal experiences

I had mine done with EV, however due to lack of knowledge on both ends of the phone I ended up with an untethered box... which means I had to go and buy a cable (from Nuworld) to use it, whereas I would have preferred to go for the no-cost option, and get a box with a permanent cable attached. (by the way, the mistake arose as I thought the cable that came with the Mitsi, with the standard 3 pin plug, would go straight into my new box...of course it doesnt!)

byrnehj said:
I had mine done with EV, however due to lack of knowledge on both ends of the phone I ended up with an untethered box... which means I had to go and buy a cable (from Nuworld) to use it, whereas I would have preferred to go for the no-cost option, and get a box with a permanent cable attached. (by the way, the mistake arose as I thought the cable that came with the Mitsi, with the standard 3 pin plug, would go straight into my new box...of course it doesnt!)

Ah, but you now have the cable required to use public charging points - assuming you want to!

Back