ICE audible or not when running

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ufo

When I test drove PHEV, ICE was inaudible when ICE started in series mode at slow speeds less then 70 km/hr. But more I drive my PHEV (only 600 kms at the moment) ICE is becoming more and more audible especially when more power is needed going uphill or accelerating from stand still. I always drive in ECO mode and am very gentle on the accelerator pedal. This first happened when drive battery was completely drained (--- appeared for EV range). So I said may be it is not so good to drain the drive battery completely and hit save when EV range is down to 7-8 km. But that didn't make any difference then I tried Charge hoping that it would charge at a constant 1000 RPM (that's what it says in the manual) but same thing again when more power is needed even there is still battery power (8-10 km range) ICE's RPM increases with the load and becomes much more audible. I thought it would keep charging at constant RPM of 1000 and suck the extra power from drive battery assuming that when load decreases to lower level, extra power sucked from drive battery would be replenished by ICE which is in Charge mode.

I am drifting of the main subject here, Looks like that's the way they designed PHEV, doesn't matter what mode it is ICE varies its RPM depending on power requirement.
My main question is that how audible ICE is in Series mode. Mine is audible even when it is running at constant 1000 RPM, it is not loud but it kills the pleasure of driving in almost pure silence and when more power is needed it becomes much more audible as if it is labouring and I don’t like it all.

How are your PHEVs in this respect? I would like to find out what your experiences are.

Running on highway at higher speeds in parallel mode ICE is not audible because of the other sounds generated at highway/motorway speeds.

Cheers

Arnie

Yes, I can hear when I am listening for it and it it pretty obvious at high revs. Still the car is the most silent one I've ever driven. I have never driven a Rolls Royce, though.

I agree, it can sometimes rev quite a lot and sounds loud, but for me it is not that often - I suppose it depends on how often you run the battery down and the demands of the terrain. I am used to the Prius doing that -the PHEV is not alone. But for me, the benefits of near silent driving on ev and the comparison with the rough ride of diesel means I am not bothered with by it all. I've not been in a "normal" car since getting mine, I bet I would be deafened!
Cheers
H

Back