Important - Changes to the Home Charge Grant

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi everyone - Chris from EV Charging Solutions here - I no and have met some of you, others I may meet.
Just wanted to give you a heads up about the Domestic Home Charge Grant. Due to the success of the scheme (in reality due to the fact that the grant has been rinsed by guys knocking on doors telling people these units will increase the value of your house) OLEV Office of Low Emission Vehicles are making changes to the grant.
The grant will continue at its present level of £1000 per install - meaning a standard 16amp units will be fitted for free* (see T&C's from manufacturers) until 31st August. After this time the grant will reduce to £900 and will only be available to people with access to an EV - how they are going to determine this is unclear. I have four people insured on my outlander phev - do they all count for the grant?? Who knows. So from September till March 2015 - or until the funds run out you will have to pay approx. £100 per install.
Im not sure how the manufacturers are going to deal with these changes - we await information. They will likely wind down the units they have in stock as they are approx. £545 plus vat - you don't want too many of these hanging around after August.
Standard 16 amp units I have been told that we have a guaranteed supply of from Pod Point the 32 amp models - unknown.
If we can help anyone out shout up - [email protected] as we are aware that British Gas offer a call back within 2 weeks then an install approx. a month after - that may get you pretty close to September.
Anyother questions generally about charging put it up on the forum and ill try and address them for you - not too complex mind - we fit them we don't make them!
Oh and yes I do have an outlander phev 7 days old - ready for a show at Nottingham university tomorrow. We feel sorry for the guys either side of us as we all know where the publics eyes will be! Not on a biomass boiler or loft insulation that's for sure.
Cheers

Hi,

Can you confirm that a dedicated feed to the charging point from distribution box is required?

I have a 2.5mm spur going to a detached garage which feeds a freezer and lights and I can plug into to charge PHEV at 10A with the supplied cable. It would be quite an upheavel to run a new spur in.

The advantage of the charge point appears to be charging at 16A rather than 10A (will that sorten the battery life if that is the main charging method?) and that the charge point is currently free (or low cost).

Have I understood correctly?

Kind regards,
Mark

Hi Mark

I have a similar setup with 2.5mm going from main house 20A breaker to detached garage, with a small garage consumer unit. Did you have a 16A charge unit fitted on your 2.5mm supply cable?

Andy

Andy said:
Hi Mark

I have a similar setup with 2.5mm going from main house 20A breaker to detached garage, with a small garage consumer unit. Did you have a 16A charge unit fitted on your 2.5mm supply cable?

Andy
Hi Andy,
I asked an electrician while doing other work for me (house alarm actually) and he said I would need a new cable to be run as the installation requires a dedicated power feed from the consumer unit. I didn't really get to the point of asking if the existing 2.5mm feed was sufficient for the 16A charger because of that. I haven't had a charger installed yet and find the supplied charger adequite.
Kind regards,
Mark

avensys said:
Andy said:
Hi Mark

Andy
Hi Andy,
I asked an electrician while doing other work for me (house alarm actually) and he said I would need a new cable to be run as the installation requires a dedicated power feed from the consumer unit. I didn't really get to the point of asking if the existing 2.5mm feed was sufficient for the 16A charger because of that. I haven't had a charger installed yet and find the supplied charger adequite.
Kind regards,
Mark

Thanks Mark, I might try the free survey and see what they say. There is no way they will run a new cable to an external garage for free.

avensys said:
Andy said:
Hi Mark

Andy
Hi Andy,
Kind regards,
Mark

Thanks Mark, I might try the free survey and see what they say. There is no way they will run a new cable to an external garage for free.

Back