Jump starting other vehicles

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaulRB

I kept a decent quality pair of jump cables in my last vehicle. I used them to help out others in need of a start more often than I needed a start myself.

Can I use the phev to jump start other vehicles? I found the positive 12V battery terminal under a plastic flap in the boot floor, but where would I attach the negative/ground? Or is this not a good idea with the phev, and that's why the other terminal is not accssible?

Apologies, I am working my way through the "War And Peace" manuals...

No - the 12v battery is low capacity - just sufficient to boot up the computers and run the burglar alarm while the car is turned off. A jump start of a conventional car will draw upwards of 100A - vastly more than the 12v system of any modern hybrid is designed to source.

Hi,
Actually, I carry a small 12v home burglar alarm sized battery and some small jump leads so I can jumpstart MY CAR if I ever get a flat battery :)
Kind regards,
Mark

avensys said:
Hi,
Actually, I carry a small 12v home burglar alarm sized battery and some small jump leads so I can jumpstart MY CAR if I ever get a flat battery :)
Kind regards,
Mark

I'm not sure that counts as "jump starting" - your little battery cannot supply a fraction of the current necessary to turn over a starter motor - it is giving the flat car battery a booster charge over a period of several minutes, isn't it?

or one of these
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sealey-LSTART235-Lithium-ion-Jump-Starter-Booster-Power-Pack-235A-12V-/261371977616
saw one in use at a recent show, very impressive. thinking of getting one for my garage/toolbox as the kids often leave a light on in my wifes car and now i wont have a great big diesel car to jump her from (oooer!).

maby said:
avensys said:
Hi,
Kind regards,
Mark

I'm not sure that counts as "jump starting" - your little battery cannot supply a fraction of the current necessary to turn over a starter motor - it is giving the flat car battery a booster charge over a period of several minutes, isn't it?

To be clear, I use a small 12v battery to jumpstart my PHEV. There isn't any starter motor to turn over, just the engine management system and then the drive battery kicks in to provide charge to the 12v system.

I used this very successfully on my Prius which also had a small aux battery and no starter motor to turn over.

Kind regards,
Mark

avensys said:
To be clear, I use a small 12v battery to jumpstart my PHEV. There isn't any starter motor to turn over, just the engine management system and then the drive battery kicks in to provide charge to the 12v system.

I used this very successfully on my Prius which also had a small aux battery and no starter motor to turn over.

Kind regards,
Mark

Ah, OK - have done the same on our Prius too!

DavidEJM said:
or one of these
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sealey-LSTART235-Lithium-ion-Jump-Starter-Booster-Power-Pack-235A-12V-/261371977616
saw one in use at a recent show, very impressive. thinking of getting one for my garage/toolbox as the kids often leave a light on in my wifes car and now i wont have a great big diesel car to jump her from (oooer!).
Well, it has got USB output, so you can charge your iPhone off it at anyrate... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Goldie said:
PaulRB said:
Can I use the phev to jump start other vehicles?
No.
Best advice from my dealership.
But it is possible to jump start the PHEV's small battery if required.
Goldie

One of my guys today had a flat battery, and I was quite happy to tell him I couldn't and have a decent excuse... These guys who don't run new Cars don't understand the technicality of them.

maby said:
avensys said:
There isn't any starter motor to turn over, just the engine management system and then the drive battery kicks in to provide charge to the 12v system.

Kind regards,
Mark

If there is no starter motor what kicks the ICE into life?

greendwarf said:
maby said:
avensys said:
There isn't any starter motor to turn over, just the engine management system and then the drive battery kicks in to provide charge to the 12v system.

Kind regards,
Mark

If there is no starter motor what kicks the ICE into life?

Not sure about the Outlander, but the Prius uses the generator as a motor to spin up the engine. They fiddle with the valve timing to decompress the engine so that it needs less force to spin it up.

Back