Level 1 charger has fault light blinking

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mshow7574

When I plug in my level one charger at home, the fault light blinks and will not charge. Has anyone have this issue and how do I fix it. I had the dealership look at it and they said it was OK. Is there something that I am doing wrong?

One thing to check is the sequence of steps you are using.

I believe the steps are supposed to be:

1. Plug the charger box into the power supply.
2. Turn the charger box on.
3. Plug the charger into the car.

When you perform step 3. make sure that you hear/feel the click of the plug when it seats home.

One thing to check is the sequence of steps you are using.

I believe the steps are supposed to be:

1. Plug the charger box into the power supply.
2. Turn the charger box on.
3. Plug the charger into the car.

When you perform step 3. make sure that you hear/feel the click of the plug when it seats home.
Ok I will try this again. I plugged into power supply and that is when fault starts blinking but I will try it again. Thank you

Has the EVSE ever worked at your house?
Or is it a new one ?
There may be an earth leakage or poor earth in your house or car that the EVSE doesn't like.
Did the dealership plug in to your car and there was no fault light ?

Switch to the lower 8 amp setting of your charger and try again. May be that outlet of your house was lower than 12 amp. Check that the house fuse of that outlet at the fuse box was not stripped.

When I plug in my level one charger at home, the fault light blinks and will not charge. Has anyone have this issue and how do I fix it. I had the dealership look at it and they said it was OK. Is there something that I am doing wrong?
As someone else said. It sounds like an earth fault at the power point. Plug it in somewhere else (no car) and see if the fault persists.

CE/EE guy here.

The folks above who've said, you have a ground fault are correct. I had this at the initial outlet I used (US 117VAC 8A single ~). The ground has to be clean. If it isn't, a charger providing large amounts of current might cause a fire. The safety features of the charger Mits provides prevent such possibility by not working if they don't have a clean ground. That's how they get their GS or UL or (insert random compliance alphabet soup) rating.

Back