Lights, Lights, Lights...

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tun

Hi all,

Any recommendation for;

1) DRL bulb? (p13w). I read in other thread saying not all can fit on.

2) Cabin light? (W5W). I really like a bright white light instead of those yellowish light

3) Main bulb? (H7 i think).

Many thanks in advance....

Can only comment on the DRL's. Any off-the-shelf LED replacement will not fit through the reflector. Your choice, enlarge the hole in the light fitting or shave down the bulb width or replace entirely with a 3rd party light fitting. (or get hold of the original Mitsubishi LED upgraded ones for £250)

Depends on how practical you are and what tools you can use and how you feel about modestly modifying a car if its on lease for example so you will be handing back.

BobEngineer said:
Can only comment on the DRL's. Any off-the-shelf LED replacement will not fit through the reflector. Your choice, enlarge the hole in the light fitting or shave down the bulb width or replace entirely with a 3rd party light fitting. (or get hold of the original Mitsubishi LED upgraded ones for £250)

Depends on how practical you are and what tools you can use and how you feel about modestly modifying a car if its on lease for example so you will be handing back.

Thanks Bob. Which option did you went for? :)

I am not very fond with tools and always have the jinx to mess up things :) I might try shaving down the bulb width in case it went wrong, I lose a few quid instead of a few hundreds...

Thanks...

tun said:
BobEngineer said:

Thanks Bob. Which option did you went for? :)

I am not very fond with tools and always have the jinx to mess up things :) I might try shaving down the bulb width in case it went wrong, I lose a few quid instead of a few hundreds...

Thanks...

I modified the lamp, using a humble electric drill and a 'milling' bit. It still will take a normal bulb though and I doubt any one would realise the inner part of the hole is now a bot wider.

If you want to modify a LED bulb you will need to shave several mm off its neck, people on here have used either a Dremmel tool with a grinding bit or a lathe even!

If you'd opt for my solution, I'd be happy to turn some bulbs down to the right size as seen in my post : http://www.myoutlanderphev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=548&start=432

You'd have to have 'em shipped to my adress in Switzerland.
It's only a two minutes job at the lathe.
I don't mind spending the two minutes at my lathe and then sending you the bulbs to your adress,
but it'd be less complicated if you'd have a buddy in your town/country.

I went down the "Dremel the bulb" route, but found the bulb fell apart. Still worked but had to superglue the bulb back together! If I were doing it now, I'd ream out the housing. Apparently it's only the reflector that needs touching, then any P13 bulb will fit.

Kim said:
If you'd opt for my solution, I'd be happy to turn some bulbs down to the right size as seen in my post : http://www.myoutlanderphev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=548&start=432

You'd have to have 'em shipped to my adress in Switzerland.
It's only a two minutes job at the lathe.
I don't mind spending the two minutes at my lathe and then sending you the bulbs to your adress,
but it'd be less complicated if you'd have a buddy in your town/country.

Thank Kim! I will PM you on this :)

Cheers...

tun said:
Hi all,

Any recommendation for;

1) DRL bulb? (p13w). I read in other thread saying not all can fit on.

2) Cabin light? (W5W). I really like a bright white light instead of those yellowish light

3) Main bulb? (H7 i think).

Many thanks in advance....

I just used Glasticon putty (Dum Dum) to bed the led bulbs in the daytime running lights, no mods no drilling works fine.

Cheers

Chris

Pair of 80mm 'Halo' or 'Angel Eye' LED rings from Ebay costing £10.
Glued onto the front of the fog lights under the cowl.
Wires just plugged into the feed line for the P13Ws.
Original bulb left in place to keep light housing sealed.
No error messages, no damage to the wiring or the bulb housing and easily removable.
Very bright too! ;)

hey Nixtrix, liked the curve of your DRLs. Can you share what type bulb you used, and does it fit with the fog bulb too? thanks
HJB

aitchjaybee said:
hey Nixtrix, liked the curve of your DRLs. Can you share what type bulb you used, and does it fit with the fog bulb too? thanks
HJB
Pair of 80mm 'Halo' or 'Angel Eye' LED rings from Ebay costing £10.
Glued onto the front of the fog lights under the cowl.
Wires just plugged into the feed line for the P13Ws.
Original bulb left in place to keep light housing sealed.
No error messages, no damage to the wiring or the bulb housing and easily removable.
Very bright too! ;)

Pretty much all the ones I see on ebay look yellow when they are off - how do yours look when the car is off?

CJ

CJ1045 said:
Pretty much all the ones I see on ebay look yellow when they are off

All 'White' LED's will look yellow, on account that they are really blue LED's with a yellow filter doped onto them to make them white.
You will notice the higher colour temp (say 5000k) white LED's will have a light yellow appearance (letting more blue light through), and the 'warm white' (about 3000k) will be a darker yellow.

Back