Live MPG

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blerke

I was wondering if there is any way to show the mpg figure you are using at the current time.
I realise that it would not be precisely accurate but it would give an idea of optimum speed for the best mpg. This would be especially useful on the motorway when driving a long distance and battery power is gone. Does anyone know if this is possible.

I Think this will be complicated, as when the battery is empty, and you are driving on the motorway in speed above 80km/h(or Close to this) you will have the ICE to charge the battery AND driving the Wheels(the orange Arrow on the dash), and the Engine will run for a while, then shut down letting you go EV for a moment, then start up again.
So the numbers you will see if this was possible is probably first 18 Liters/100km for 3km, and then 0 Liters/100km for 4,2km, and the ICE running again.
I think it will be difficult to read some interesting information from this.
My personal test was 380km, started with 80% battery, drove motorway 90-100km/h, and consumption was 6.3L/100km when arriving home. If you increase speed you will reach 8/100 or even 10/100.

If you have the GX4h trim level with the MMCS display, then there is an indication of instantaneous mpg on the trip screen. On the first tab of that screen, you get three gauge displays and the right hand of those is MPG. The numeric display in the centre of the gauge is the mpg averaged over the last few hours - the exact interval can be found in the documentation. Around that gauge, there is a circular bar that shrinks and grows and indicates the instantaneous mpg - but not with any great precision.

The only way to get any live mpg or L/100km with a number, is use of an OBD adapter and either an app, or HUD to show the data.

I have had many attempts to have some form of petrol consumption display using many variants of the above, and have concluded that the PHEV engineers have designed the OBD interface to eventually crash the comms whenever any device is left plugged into the port. This has caused many error and warning messages to be displayed on the dash, and sometimes the "check engine" light stays lit, until cleared manually with a scan tool, sometimes needing the dealer MUT device.

I have gained a lot of useful info from displayed data from these tools since June 2014 that has helped me to better understand how to operate my PHEV in a way that suits my driving needs.

The needs of all PHEV drivers are not the same and we need to respect this. Some drivers strive for EV only operation, and others attempt to drive with maximum efficiency on the petrol. Many just charge up the battery and fill up the petrol tank and drive like a normal car. Other drivers like to experiment with the tech.

I now only plug into the OBD port on a particular drive for recording and later analysis, or to check the battery health with EvBatMon.

There has been a lot of discussions on this forum on economy. At some point an individual driver will work out what he or she can adopt in a typical drive to best suit their needs. Having better instrumentation has certainly helped me speed up the learning process.

Live petrol mileage, teaches better use of the accelerator pedal for economy.

maby said:
If you have the GX4h trim level with the MMCS display, then there is an indication of instantaneous mpg on the trip screen. On the first tab of that screen, you get three gauge displays and the right hand of those is MPG. The numeric display in the centre of the gauge is the mpg averaged over the last few hours - the exact interval can be found in the documentation. Around that gauge, there is a circular bar that shrinks and grows and indicates the instantaneous mpg - but not with any great precision.

I detest those circular gauges, classic case of form over function, very pretty but useless to read at a glance without ending up in a ditch. They ~could~ have been so much better.

On the topic generally, I miss the instantaneous display in my CRV, it had a clear responsive mpg bar below the average figure that was surprisingly useful for finding a good steady speed.

BobEngineer said:
maby said:

I detest those circular gauges, classic case of form over function, very pretty but useless to read at a glance without ending up in a ditch. They ~could~ have been so much better.

On the topic generally, I miss the instantaneous display in my CRV, it had a clear responsive mpg bar below the average figure that was surprisingly useful for finding a good steady speed.

Glad someone brought up the topic of gauges. I really love my car (Trex Camp) but who, I mean WHO builds software that displays digital data in a circular dial that has 7.5 or 12.5 as an interval between the minimum and the maximum values. I have got used to it, but surely % values ( in tens of decimals) would be easier to read and interpret?

I do love the tech though - zzcoopj really looking forward to an iPhone version of EvBatMon, what a stunning piece of work!

When you take TorquePro or DashCmd (or the like) in their standard Play Store forms and hook them up to an OBD adapter, they will give you a pretty good idea of instantaneous MPG.

If you want to know instantaneous MPG without the buffering effect, make sure you have your fuel tank near empty. This morning, Charge and Save were disabled because of very low fuel level. When my SOC dropped to 30.5% the engine did start in order to propel the car, but no attempt was made to recharge the battery (battery charge current stayed very close to 0 all the time). And this time I saw the kind of numbers you would expect from a normal, non-hybrid car. Going up and down with every change in pressure to the gas pedal and such.

I'm with Bobengineer & Neverfuel.
I detest those ridiculous circular dials/gauges, whatever you choose to call them.
They are so difficult to read as the moving indicators do not show up well enough against the bright glitzy colours.
I usually use the 'ECO INFO' screen as it gives the most (and legible) information. I wish only that there was some way of locking this screen as the 'home page' when you start up, instead of having to trawl through all the buttons to get to it.
My 'home page' is the p/p with (bl00dy/unwanted) sat nav to the right and the shrunken/preci'd version of the 'eco Info' screen. sometimes I use the 'FLOW' screen.
I Do wish we could turn the bl00dy sat nav off all together. I cannot remember when I last needed to use sat nav. It is a pain in the R s having it there all the time.

Back