long journey

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steveloxton

what is the best setting combo for a long motorway journey, just let it run, save, eco mode and or charge.... ?

I'm working on extensively testing this now; I'll be putting on thousands of miles of highway driving on my old 2019 2.0L/12kWh I just bought used. So far, the best results I've had are using it in Normal mode, but this time of year there are large temperature variations that throw more uncertainty into these early test results. Most of my test trips this summer will be 8 hour, 250 mile one way, 500 mile round trip tests, with a single full charge at the start of each leg. I will hopefully also get a chance to perform some towing economy testing as well.

I tested in 'Save' mode in early January in very cold temperatures, and it would not enter or stay in parallel drive mode (no orange arrows) - this could be a quirk of Save mode, or it could have been due to cold cell temperatures, I did not have the instrumentation I needed on that trip. Colder temps and faster highway driving so this is not apples to apples with the following two trips - ~26 MPGus, 9L/100km

I tested using the "Volting" method as described by Mike Mas next, which is to use Charge mode until a certain battery level, then let it discharge in electric mode to a certain level, then 'Charge' mode again, etc. ~31 MPGus, ~7.6L/100km - 15% better economy than first trip

Next I tested "Normal" mode, which take the battery to empty (really about 30% left) and it does a miniature version of the "Volting" method continuously, it runs the engine and slowly charges the battery up about 4%, then runs in electric until it's back down to empty, starts again, etc. I got the best results in this mode - 35.3 MPGus, 6.66L/100km. 26% better economy than the first trip using Save mode, and 12% better economy than the "Volting" method trip I did.

I will do more of these trip tests in the summer months when temperatures are more stable. I suspect that 'Save' mode will work like 'Normal' mode does on a warm battery, but I have yet to test it. I do not think Eco mode will do much of anything, it just remaps the accelerator pedal to make less power available, so unless you have a lead foot and don't use your cruise control, I don't think it will actually help much at all.

Here is a link to my Fuelly, I will keep it updated with notes and trips throughout the summer: https://www.fuelly.com/car/mitsubishi/outlander_phev/2019/avm1/1259051

I'm working on extensively testing this now; I'll be putting on thousands of miles of highway driving on my old 2019 2.0L/12kWh I just bought used. So far, the best results I've had are using it in Normal mode, but this time of year there are large temperature variations that throw more uncertainty into these early test results. Most of my test trips this summer will be 8 hour, 250 mile one way, 500 mile round trip tests, with a single full charge at the start of each leg. I will hopefully also get a chance to perform some towing economy testing as well.

I tested in 'Save' mode in early January in very cold temperatures, and it would not enter or stay in parallel drive mode (no orange arrows) - this could be a quirk of Save mode, or it could have been due to cold cell temperatures, I did not have the instrumentation I needed on that trip. Colder temps and faster highway driving so this is not apples to apples with the following two trips - ~26 MPGus, 9L/100km

I tested using the "Volting" method as described by Mike Mas next, which is to use Charge mode until a certain battery level, then let it discharge in electric mode to a certain level, then 'Charge' mode again, etc. ~31 MPGus, ~7.6L/100km - 15% better economy than first trip

Next I tested "Normal" mode, which take the battery to empty (really about 30% left) and it does a miniature version of the "Volting" method continuously, it runs the engine and slowly charges the battery up about 4%, then runs in electric until it's back down to empty, starts again, etc. I got the best results in this mode - 35.3 MPGus, 6.66L/100km. 26% better economy than the first trip using Save mode, and 12% better economy than the "Volting" method trip I did.

I will do more of these trip tests in the summer months when temperatures are more stable. I suspect that 'Save' mode will work like 'Normal' mode does on a warm battery, but I have yet to test it. I do not think Eco mode will do much of anything, it just remaps the accelerator pedal to make less power available, so unless you have a lead foot and don't use your cruise control, I don't think it will actually help much at all.

Here is a link to my Fuelly, I will keep it updated with notes and trips throughout the summer: https://www.fuelly.com/car/mitsubishi/outlander_phev/2019/avm1/1259051
This is really useful! Thanks for sharing ... looking forward to hearing how your testing goes.

This is really useful info, thanks for sharing! Looking forward to hearing how your long distance testing goes.

Back