Mpg calc reset - Poll request

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maddogsetc

Following a discussion on the 'things for Mitsubishi to improve' thread can I ask others who already have their cars to check something please?

I'm having difficulty getting the car to calculate any meaningful mpg figures because I can't get the reset mode to work properly.

So could you do this simple check please and post your results:

Press the start button, when the MMCS starts up, press info. and then trip. If the reset mode (top right corner of the screen) shows as 'Auto Mode' press the 'Manual' button (bottom left hand corner) and the reset mode should then change to 'Manual Mode'. Now switch the car off, then back on again, go back to the info/trip screen and see if the reset mode has stayed at Manual or has returned to Auto.

The screen shot below might help. Thanks :D

I will check this on my GX4h, collected uesterday.

I think you are misreading the screen, rather than saying it is in Auto reset mode I think it is a live button to change to Auto mode. The proof of this would be to set it to Auto, switch off etc, and then I think you will see that the button offers you Manual, ie the other option not what it is set to.

Early days but please so far.

Hi
Is it possible that the journey gave over 99.9mpg because I think that is the most it goes up to. Maybe it says 0.0mpg if over 99.9mpg?
Kind regards
Mark

Hi Graham, you're right that it's a live button, but no I'm not misreading that - the top RH (Mode indicator) and bottom LH (mode switch) always say opposites. And you can switch freely between the two modes all the while that the car is powered up.

The point is that if it's set to Manual Mode it should stay in Manual Mode until Auto mode is actively selected (and Vice Versa I guess). But it doesn't - it reverts to Auto mode every time I power down and back up again. So I'm wanting to find out if it's just mine that's affected or if other cars do the same. :)

Hi
Is it possible that the journey gave over 99.9mpg because I think that is the most it goes up to. Maybe it says 0.0mpg if over 99.9mpg?
Kind regards
Mark

Hi Mark, the mpg is a slightly different mystery (though no doubt connected). Most of the time I get --.--mpg, sometimes I get 0.0 mpg. On the odd occasion it reads something else it's impossible to tell what it means.

maddogsetc said:
Hi
Kind regards
Mark

Hi Mark, the mpg is a slightly different mystery (though no doubt connected). Most of the time I get --.--mpg, sometimes I get 0.0 mpg. On the odd occasion it reads something else it's impossible to tell what it means.

Hi
Maybe --.-- means you haven't used any petrol and 0.0 means you have used some but got more than 99.9mog which it can't display?

I've only made one journey using petrol (100 miles from the dealer to home) and it displayed 57mpg on that one journey.

Kind regards
Mark

Hi
Right, just had a look and I think I have it worked out. The manual and auto are two separate fuel readings which you can swap between at will. The MMCS doesn't remember the screen you were last on so defaults to auto screen. When I just tested by selecting manual mode I was surprised to see 79mpg displayed which is a realistic number for the 150 is miles done of which 100 were a single trip home from the dealer.
Kind regards
Mark

That sounds sensible, however that screenshot above was taken at the end of a 20 mile round trip when the ICE had been running on and off (parallel and series mode) for 3/4 of the trip :?

And before anyone says that it's obviously a long run average not a short run that doesn't make sense either for lots of reasons which would take long too go through here, but just for one example there's no way I have achieved 62.1 miles per kWh on any longer term measure.

Maybe, just maybe, Mitsubishi have perfected the infinite improbability drive. (Hope there's some other Douglas Adams fans out there :ugeek: )

OK, so I can do it too! :lol:

I think the averages are pretty meaningless - you need to know exactly how calculated.
In my case, I had battery left but was on a longer drive so had been using "save" - I think the silly miles per kWh figures come from when you are using petrol. 2 minutes later it was on 2.1 and then 2 minutes later it was back to 62.1 (perhaps this is the max for this figure - a rather popular number otherwise!).

Haven't had a play with the auto and manual settings yet. To be honest, if the figures are useless then resetting or not won't make much difference as I don't trust them. At the moment I'm just looking at my charge costs and petrol put in vs miles done. And I'm looking at %ev as a guide to how I'm doing.

Not looked at the manual on this yet, but presume it isn't much help.
H

No, the handbook helpfully says that in Manual Mode it will only reset manually but in Auto Mode it will reset whenever the car is powered down for 4+ hours.

I've been using the %EV too, but again, that's only telling you what it's doing since it was last reset, which at best (for me at least) is during same day (as it's always powered down for at least 4 hours every night).

Think I will have to stick with my iPhone app (Road Trip) for now but it's kinda frustrating to have all the functionality there and for it not to do some pretty basic stuff correctly.

Anyway, if you get a chance to do my test at some point that would be a big help. Might even post a video on here to demonstrate the problem if I can work out how to :!:

maddogsetc said:
Hi Graham, you're right that it's a live button, but no I'm not misreading that - the top RH (Mode indicator) and bottom LH (mode switch) always say opposites. And you can switch freely between the two modes all the while that the car is powered up.

The point is that if it's set to Manual Mode it should stay in Manual Mode until Auto mode is actively selected (and Vice Versa I guess). But it doesn't - it reverts to Auto mode every time I power down and back up again. So I'm wanting to find out if it's just mine that's affected or if other cars do the same. :)

It's the same in all cars (at least the ones I've driven) It Always starts up in auto mode, but you can easily switch to manual mode after starting up and you will see the figures as they appear since last manual reset. Even if it Always starts up at auto mode, the manual screen is not reset until you reset it manually.

So are you saying that it keeps two lots of data - one for Auto reset Mode and one for Manual? How can you tell for sure? Other than keeping a note of the averages / EV range in Manual Mode before shutting it down?

Don't mean to be sceptical but that seems a strange way to set it up. Which data set would it use for the smaller screen on the dash? Or does that change dynamically depending on what Mode it is in? I had noticed that the smaller screen has an A in a square in it which suggests it is related to the tripometer with the same A graphic, but the figures are not consistent with that theory as I've never reset the tripometer and know that I have spent at least some time in ICE parallel mode, yet this screen still indicates 100% EV at the start of each day.

Looks like I have some more investigating to do - thanks for the tip :cool:

maddogsetc said:
, yet this screen still indicates 100% EV at the start of each day.

:cool:
If the auto setting resets after 4 hours shutdown then it would always indicate 100% ev at the start of each day. I am presuming that the A indication relates to auto mode.

If the auto setting resets after 4 hours shutdown then it would always indicate 100% ev at the start of each day
Exactly - that's what I've been finding.

I am presuming that the A indication relates to auto mode.
Good thinking - I'll check that idea tomorrow.

maddogsetc said:
So are you saying that it keeps two lots of data - one for Auto reset Mode and one for Manual? How can you tell for sure? Other than keeping a note of the averages / EV range in Manual Mode before shutting it down?

An example. When I fill the fuel tank I reset in manual mode. Then maybe I am able to run for a week on solely EV. Both the A and M mode shows consumption 0.00 (I use ltr/100km )
Then I run out of battery one day and run let's say 100 km whereof 50 km on petrol.
The A mode then shows an average of around 3 ltr/100km, the M mode shown maybe 0,4 since it calculates since last reset.
The next day it starts showing the A mode and 0.0 again, but witching to M mode still shows 0.4
If I manage to run another week or something on pure eV the M mode one day goes down to 0.3 or 0.2

(all figures are examples)

Ok, but if I have never used manual and never pressed reset, why does my manual reading show 100% ev - it should show the average since I bought the car if I've never reset it shouldn't it? And my auto one seems to reset every time I get in the car - and I often don't have a 4 hour gap between drives. Will monitor this a bit more from now on.

I am hoping I can rely on the charge cost data, as if I keep a record of my charging cost + petrol put in, I should be able to work out my own cost per mile.

H

Back