MPG readings lost.

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lyra252

Hi

In at main dealer today and asked them to find out why the MPG reading reset to Auto and forgot it's reading after a short while. Evidently MMC are looking into a software fix for this, which would be applied at the next service.

This will be next year at the earliest for most UK cars, so I have asked them to let me know as soon as it's available so I can get the update.

It won't be a recall as it's not a safety issue.

As soon as I hear anything, I'll post without delay, as I know it's frustrating everyone.

Cheers

Chris

Lyra252 said:
In at main dealer today and asked them to find out why the MPG reading reset to Auto and forgot it's reading after a short while. Evidently MMC are looking into a software fix for this, which would be applied at the next service.
Hi Chris,
There are issues with the display of MPG but the specific one you mention, if I understand correctly, isn't one of the problems. What you describe is how the system is supposed to work. The problem is that the way it works is non-intuitive and the user manual isn't very clear.
There are two totally separate MPG readings. The one called auto does indeed auto-reset when ever the car isn't used for four hours. The second reading is displayed by pressing "manual" on the MMCS (or selecting it via settings on the small display). This reading will ONLY reset when you press the reset button. The other confusion with this is that after selecting manual, when you next turn the car on, it defaults to showing auto again.
The auto reading is useful for showing the MPG on individual trips, whereas the manual reading is best reset when you fill the tank so you have the average MPG inbetween refills.
However, I ought to mention the real bug with the MPG display. If you get better than 99.9MPG then it displays 0.0MPG. If you toggle the units to metric and straight back to UK MPG then it will display correctly until the car is turned off.

If I have misunderstood your fault description please give more details and we'll try and help.

Kind regards,
Mark

Mark

That makes sense, but wouldn't it be better if it just waited to be reset instead of vanishing each time the power switch is off.

I don't know if you have found this, but the settings menu seems shy, and only appears periodically!

It also forgets the B3/B5 setting if you go into park at the lights.

Mine also reverts to exactly the same track on the USB, but that may just be my USB sticksetup.

Many thanks for your input.

Regards

Chris

Lyra252 said:
That makes sense, but wouldn't it be better if it just waited to be reset instead of vanishing each time the power switch is off.

Well, it would be better if the mode stayed on whatever you selected, auto or manual, since the manual does exactly what you want and only resets when you press the reset button.

Kind regards,
Mark

Well, it would be better if the mode stayed on whatever you selected, auto or manual
I agree that would be much better.

since the manual does exactly what you want and only resets when you press the reset button.
Don't entirely agree with this though - the mpg may work fine but it still resets the %EV (at least). I'd like to be able to do a manual reset each time I fill the tank and then be able to see not only what mpg I've achieved out of each tank but also what % EV and miles/kWh I've managed over that entire tankful as well.

maddogsetc said:
since the manual does exactly what you want and only resets when you press the reset button.
Don't entirely agree with this though - the mpg may work fine but it still resets the %EV (at least). I'd like to be able to do a manual reset each time I fill the tank and then be able to see not only what mpg I've achieved out of each tank but also what % EV and miles/kWh I've managed over that entire tankful as well.
I totally agree with you. My dealer says that Mitsubishi HQ says "The EV driving percentage resets after the ignition has been off for a period of time" and I can't be bothered to argue the case with them. I'm concentrating my efforts to get them to accept there is a problem with displaying MPG over 99.9 ...
Kind regards,
Mark

Back